Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirCurve 10 CS PaceWave?
Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirCurve 10 CS PaceWave?
This is a copy of an email I sent to Resmed support, however they may not reply in time for my purchase timeframe (day after tomorrow), so I was hoping you kind folk could possibly assist me?

I have also attached a Sleepyhead Report image to help clarify my email ...

Dear Resmed Suport,

I have been using a rental AirSense 10 AutoSet for about 3 weeks now.

I’m pretty sure it’s doing a good job, though I’m not feeling as refreshed upon waking as I thought I would be, in spite of high 90 scores for my sleep for much of these 3 weeks.

My questions for you are:

Does it take "a month or 2" for the body to adjust to more oxygen using the CPAP and will I eventually feel more rested?

Reports show that I seem to suffer from Central Sleep Apnea as well as Obstructive Sleep Apnea and I have episodes of Cheynes Stokes Respiration (see attached image from one of my sleep reports)

My loan machine, although looking exactly like the ‘male’ machine (the 'For Her' machine looks like a light gold color), reports on my Dashboard as "Airsense 10 Autoset for Her” after entering in the serial number and Device Number. Could it be that I might not be getting the correct algorithm for my sleep from this machine if it is in fact a “for her” CPAP machine?

Does the AirSense 10 AutoSet treat CSA and CSR or merely detect it?

Also, the nasal mask I use is a ‘Standard’ size but the headgear is pink, so looks like a lady’s one (once again, a loaner). Is the headgear just a different color band or is differently shaped? I’m just thinking as to correct fit for my nasal mask. I am not getting any leaks using the 'Standard' N10 Nasal Mask

I don’t want to invest in an AirSense 10 AutoSet machine if there is another more appropriate Resmed model that will do everything this does plus treats CSA as well. Is there any disadvantage in buying the ('top of the line?')AirCurve 10 CS PaceWave over the AirSense 10 AutoSet?

In other words, paying $2.5K for an almost good enough machine makes no sense to me when a $3K machine will treat the lot.

Many Thanks for your collective wisdom everyone!
Marco
[attachment=2427]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirCurve 10 CS PaceWave?
G'day Marco, welcome to Apnea Board.

Unfortunately the image you posted is too small to see much detail. As a new user you are limited to 200 kb attachment, but you should be able to attach a larger version and stay under the limit.

Quote:Does it take "a month or 2" for the body to adjust to more oxygen using the CPAP and will I eventually feel more rested?

It can take quite a while to get accustomed to the hose, and to get your settings dialled in correctly. This period would be reduced if you are actively managing your therapy with regular follow-ups with your therapist, and assuming they have a reasonable idea of what they'e doing. Some people get instant results, others do indeed take a few months (or sometimes even longer).

Quote:Reports show that I seem to suffer from Central Sleep Apnea as well as Obstructive Sleep Apnea and I have episodes of Cheynes Stokes Respiration (see attached image from one of my sleep reports)

Did your initial sleep study show central apnea? It is possible to get pressure-induced centrals when starting out on CPAP. Sometimes this fixes itself, sometimes it requires judicious setting of pressure and EPR, and sometimes it needs an ASV machine.

Quote:My loan machine, although looking exactly like the ‘male’ machine (the 'For Her' machine looks like a light gold color), reports on my Dashboard as "Airsense 10 Autoset for Her” after entering in the serial number and Device Number. Could it be that I might not be getting the correct algorithm for my sleep from this machine if it is in fact a “for her” CPAP machine?

The "for her" does have a setting designed specifically for women, but also has standard settings as well. You should check this with your therapist. Alternatively, download the clinician manual (see the link at the top of this page) and you'll be able to interrogate the machine yourself. I don't know enough about the differences between the standard and "for her" algorithms to comments on how they may be affecting you.

Quote:Does the AirSense 10 AutoSet treat CSA and CSR or merely detect it?

It only detects and reports central apnea and CSR, it doesn't treat them. If adjusting pressure and EPR doesn't make the centrals go away then you may need the ASV.

Quote:Also, the nasal mask I use is a ‘Standard’ size but the headgear is pink, so looks like a lady’s one (once again, a loaner). Is the headgear just a different color band or is differently shaped? I’m just thinking as to correct fit for my nasal mask. I am not getting any leaks using the 'Standard' N10 Nasal Mask

So long as the mask fits comfortably and doesn't leak, it doesn't matter what colour the headgear is. AFAIK it's the same set of straps, just a different colour.

Quote:I don’t want to invest in an AirSense 10 AutoSet machine if there is another more appropriate Resmed model that will do everything this does plus treats CSA as well. Is there any disadvantage in buying the ('top of the line?')AirCurve 10 CS PaceWave over the AirSense 10 AutoSet?

The CS PaceWave has three modes - CPAP, ASV and ASV Auto. What it doesn't have is an Autoset mode. So while you could use it as a constant pressure CPAP machine that would be a huge waste of its abilities (and your money).

Quote:In other words, paying $2.5K for an almost good enough machine makes no sense to me when a $3K machine will treat the lot.

Yeah - this is the $64 question. Looking at the image you posted, it looks like the clusters of central apnea are occurring either very early in your sleep (in which case they may be "sleep-wake junk") or else following high pressure events. This makes me think there is a chance that they are pressure induced and not endemic. From the pressure traces it looks like you have EPR set to maximum, which can contribute to central apnea.

At this moment, my guess is that the AutoSet will probably do the job for you, but it needs better adjustment. If you could post a bigger image it would make it a lot easier to be certain.

As to the price of the machine, have a look at the prices available on-line from the United States (see our suppliers list at the top of the page). There is a huge price differential for Autosets, somewhat less for ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi marco7222,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a much greater differential in price than you suggested, at least in the US. You did not mention your location.
I would recommend delaying your purchase and extendeding your rental until you can fine tune your settings on the "for her" and determine if it is capable of treating you effectively.

Wasting a thousand dollars on the wrong machine isn't a good approach, but spending $3500+ on an unnecessary machine isn't any better.

You also need to explore your concern with your sleep Doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 6 146 Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Last Post: aubreyjs
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 59 Yesterday, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 92 04-18-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,474 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 75 04-18-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 114 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,001 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.