Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset problems
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset problems
I've been a member for awhile and have had some helpful things through this site so I'm grateful for it but I'm also not a terribly social person so I don't tend to come around until I'm having a problem.  Background: cpap user since 1991 severe complex apnea -- dedicated user (you can have my machine when you can pry it from my cold . . . .); Medicare with supplemental; multiple complex chronic medical conditions; multiple transplant survivor; multiple massive pulmonary embolism survivor.  That's the short course.

In 2016 I was roped into replacing my cpap during a time when local DME providers had to 're-up' with SSA for the right to dispense and I got caught in the cross-fire.  Ending up that the only way I could get one with medicare was going through an outfit called Lincare which turned into a mega-disaster that I'll complain about some other time.  I ended up after a few years switching providers to Fairview (now Mhealth).  Lincare didn't have more than two machines to pick from so I ended up with a Resmed A10 warthog (no, wait...) Airsense 10 autoset and it hasn't been a great relationship with the machine, either.

Right after the SIP order in March of this year, the machine lost it's ability to run at full pressure -- basically dropping by half.  Because of SIP, they (Fairview/Mhealth) brought a loaner of the same type out to my place the morning after it failed and set it up according to the original orders which has too little pressure.  No worries, I know how to modify the settings so I did.   First night, it was like I hadn't been sleeping properly for months.   My machine went in for repairs and 2 months/$350 later, I get it back.  Seemed okay, ran like the loaner.  

So, I've had it back for what? 4 months and it just did it again Thursday night.  This time they can't get me a loaner for days -- and I have to try to get by with a broken machine for 3 nights until they can schedule a driver to bring it too me.

But here's the point of this:
  1) I've lost confidence in the machine but I can't get another one via medicare until this time next year which kind of makes me agree -- sleeping with confidence in a machine is, imo, a requirement not an option.  

2) Is there any sort of history of this machine failing at a higher rate?  

3) has anyone had anything like this happen to them and what did they do about it?  

4) is it worth buying some machine with my own ching and having it as a back up?  If so, are there recommendations for reliable, basic machines without all these fancy-schmancy do-dads added into them?  

5) are there any tools that can be used to independently verify a machine's air pressure?

For the record, since 1991 I've seen these machines become quieter (almost too quiet) and more complex year after year.  I was happy with a basic machine that constantly pumped out the air pressure at whatever it is set at.  I really don't need (and don't really like) machines that try to reduce the exhale pressure on-the-fly or try to adjust themselves to whatever they 'sense' while I sleep -- which I don't because every time the machine changes the pressure on me, it wakes me up.  Am I just weird(er) than most?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset problems
Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of the site. Excellent company and you can buy new (good price) or slightly used. I got a machine with 1 months use for half of their new price. It has “all the bell and whistles “ but you can set it so it is a simple cpap or get a simple Cpap. Only thing I would make sure of is it gives data that OSCAR can use.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You can find many low use AS10s for less than your repair cost. Supplier #2, Craigslist, and Dotmed to name a few places to look.

As far as your #5 question, about measuring pressure; All you need is a measuring tape, a 5 gallon bucket, and some water. The following is based on your setting of a setting of 15-20 cm H2O. When using the mask test function, the Resmed will use the highest pressure setting for the test. In your case, this will make your AS10 go to 20 cm for the test. Since it is unlikely you have a measuring tape in centimeters, we need to convert centimeters, 20 in this case, to inches. Using 20/2.54 = 7.874 inches. This is .001" from 7-7/8". Now fill the bucket with about 10 inches or more with water. Place the CPAP hose end, without the mask, at the bottom of the bucket. Turn on your CPAP in the mask test mode. SLOWLY retract the hose until you start to see bubbles. Make note or mark the hose at the water's surface. Turn off your CPAP and remove the hose from the water. Measure from the mark you made to the hose end. This should be the 7-7/8". If it doesn't match, simply multiply the measured length by 2.54 to return the actual measured pressure. If you do this test inside, you might consider performing it in the tub or shower stall. Momma finds very little humor in a test gone bad that results in hosing down the inside of her house.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is never a bad idea to post an OSCAR screenshot. You would be surprised at what that can reveal. The AutoSet can be setup in simple CPAP mode with no pressure relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had an airsense 10 autoset for almost 4 years and it's been trouble free. From postings in this forum it appears very few users have problems with the machine. It is regarded by those with the most expertise as the best machine for plain vanilla obstructive apnea and it can ce operated at a constant pressure if that's your preference. It is not, however, the machine for severe complex apnea. It's hard for anyone here to make good recommendations without data. I assume your complex apnea was diagnosed in a sleep study. Is that correct? If so, do you have a copy of the study you can post? If not can you summarize the results.  

Your machine is data capable. I suggest you download free OSCAR software from here https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
Get an SD card with between 8 and 32 GB capacity, and after you get the machine back post some data here. Hopefully we can help you.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
A few answers that I have at hand.  I would have to look to see if I have a copy of the last sleep study on file but there have been multiple sleep studies done over the last (almost 30) years with varying levels of expertise including the original study in 1991 which was done in hospital.  The last "full study" was done in 2014 as required before my last transplant but was done by 'mall doctor' more interested in ripping off insurance companies and old people (who got closed down by the state for malpractice) and all my records disappeared.  He was also found to have been selling patient data without permission.

They have all confirmed severe obstructive apnea with breathing interruptions averaging 60 times an hour.  The issue of central apnea was discussed after my initial cpap eval and setup in 1991 since there appears to be times when I simply stop breathing if I reach a very deep level of sleep despite having a properly tuned and functioning cpap.   Over the years the topic has returned but the people I've worked with have been more focused on the obstructive apnea because I don't get to that deep level of sleep very often based on the charting I've seen.  That said, I don't know if was ever formally entered into the record.  I found out the hard way that I cannot breath through my mouth at all when I sleep; if I don't have positive pressure in my nasal passage, I just stop breathing as soon as I go to sleep.

The last qualified sleep doctor I had, I lost just before the SIP because Mhealth/Fairview closed that clinic and sleep center and the doctor left for a different clinic system (I don't know where) -- with the so-called covid crisis, I have been unable to get another doctor because I can't wear a mask for medical reasons and the sleep clinic I want to transfer to requires them without exception -- so I'm stuck for the moment.   
Thank you all.  I will begin working on and investigating these suggestions asap.  Again, my thanks. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything that was suggested is only from what you could tell us.... so much more could be looked into with the OSCAR charts. It was mentioned a number of times but again, please download it (free at the top of the site) and download from your memory card in the Cpap. It will tell the experts here so much more that what you have been able to write.

It costs nothing and is not hard to download and share your charts.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 17 1,883 14 minutes ago
Last Post: clan
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 468 3 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,923 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 409 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 67 25,321 03-10-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: mikekowalski
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 181 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 0 92 03-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: jed3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.