Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed Airsense 10 A Shutting Off
Resmed Airsense 10 A Shutting Off
I meant to introduce myself properly to this group but guess lurking too long has put me in a lurch. First...your thoughtful comments, information, and advice has taken me safely through the shark infested waters of diagnosis and DME territory. How to say, THANK YOU!!

I have been on APAP therapy for a little over one week on the preferred Resmed A10 Auto. I am now on my fourth night of experiencing periodic episodes of anywhere between 45 min to 90 minutes where the machine just quits, always between 1 and 3 am. I know this from waking without the usual amount of air and from Sleepyhead data. I wake up, notice the difference in therapy, and push the button on top to initiate flow. My mask inflates.

Smart Start is set to off so I have to push the button on top whenever I take short breaks in the night. No ramp. Epr @ 3. Settings 5-17 auto. I would be glad to post charts if I can figure out how and if it’s ok with being so new to this Board.

I am taking the machine in tomorrow for replacement after contacting my DME about the problem. So far they have been very understaffed but willing to work with me.

So after all that information, I guess my question is have there been abnormalities with this machine or is there something I’m not doing right? 

Many thanks for now and the support you never knew you gave.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 A Shutting Off
Welcome to Apnea Board!
It’s good that your DME is willing to replace your machine, but be sure to pull out your SD card before returning the machine.

You can download the data from that card to #SleepyHead. Just read the tutorials below in my signature line. The first link shows how to organize the charts, and the second will explain how to use the attachment feature to post here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering if you are getting rainout. The A10 will not work right if it senses too much moisture in the tube or mask. If that might be the problem go to the clinician's menu on the machine by pushing on the knob and home button in simultaneously for about 5 seconds. Once in there turn the climate control setting to Auto for a few nights and see if that helps.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
and maybe try the smartstart so whatever happens it'll turn on without you having to wake up enough to push the button
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered the obvious, an issue with the power provided to the machine? Perhaps the power supply is getting hot or flaky after a period of time and it shuts itself down?

I once had a device shut down every night between certain times. It appears that the wiring in the bedroom was on the same circuit breaker as my temperature controlled recirculation pump. When the pump fired, it dropped the voltage and my device sensed the drop and turned itself off.

Since you are getting a replacement machine, if this behavior continues, you may start looking at external issues such as excessive rainout or power problems.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Srlevine has a good point. I once stayed at a motel where the outlet was loose and did not provide reliable power to the adapter plug which is not polarized, so the plug is small. If you're not already doing so, get a surge-protector power strip.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2018, 09:05 PM)sonicboom Wrote: I'm wondering if you are getting rainout.  The A10 will not work right if it senses too much moisture in the tube or mask.  If that might be the problem go to the clinician's menu on the machine by pushing on the knob and home button in simultaneously for about 5 seconds.  Once in there turn the climate control setting to Auto for a few nights and see if  that helps.
Something about that may be the problem.  The air through the climateline was too warm for me, so after the second night, I took it off "auto" and put it on "manual" with the tube temp set to 70 and the humidity level set to 2.  Although I did review the Resmed chart on humidity control, perhaps my settings are inaccurate? Dont-know
(08-08-2018, 10:54 PM)sheepless Wrote: and maybe try the smartstart so whatever happens it'll turn on without you having to wake up enough to push the button
My first thought was operator error but after several nights in a row being VERY careful, I decided it just couldn't be me.  I considered using the smartstart, but my RT at the DME told me to not use it because of some problems her patients were reporting about the machine misinterpreting something and shutting itself off.  So I never tried it. Oh-jeez
(08-08-2018, 11:22 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Have you considered the obvious, an issue with the power provided to the machine? Perhaps the power supply is getting hot or flaky after a period of time and it shuts itself down?

I once had a device shut down every night between certain times.  It appears that the wiring in the bedroom was on the same circuit breaker as my temperature controlled recirculation pump. When the pump fired, it dropped the voltage and my device sensed the drop and turned itself off.

Since you are getting a replacement machine, if this behavior continues, you may start looking at external issues such as excessive rainout or power problems.
My husband had the same thought srlevine1.  It was plugged into a surge protector so we took unplugged the other things that were using the surge protecter except the Resmed, unplugged the surge protector from the wall, and plugged the surge protector back in (with Resmed) using a different port (not sure what you call it) on the same wall outlet.  Last night I tried unpluggin it from the surge protector and plugging it in by itself in another outlet on another wall.  Our home is about 10 years old so I don't think we have any problem with our circuits.  But good thought! We will keep that possibility in mind. Thanks

Opal Rose, thanks for the reminder about the SD card.  I do guard it with my life!  I will continue to read and learn the practical aspects of being a part of this wonderful group.

Thanks for chiming in too, Sleeprider, perhaps of anyone, I have learned the most from you.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Troubleshooting is a process of systematically following Alice down the rabbit hole. Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2018, 03:48 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Troubleshooting is a process of systematically following Alice down the rabbit hole. Best of luck.

Alice...haha. I met her last month on my nightmare sleep study event. 

My diy husband attacked the outlets with his digital volt meter and pronounced them in fine working order. 

I swapped the first machine (shed some newbie tears) and will now proceed into the night with a fresh specimen and new trial dreamwear ffm. 

My RT was called away for some such emergency, but shook her finger at me from the present DME staff on hand “don’t touch the settings”. She had programmed it for slimline settings but Im not sure why. It was an interesting coincidence since I had ordered that very hose and it arrived today. (Attached now) Is she psychic....maybe. I will choose to be compliant for awhile.

So we’ll see what happens tonight.  >>Group hug <<
Post Reply Post Reply
I like this attitude. When someone shakes a warning finger at me I like to return the salute! Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 74 10 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,457 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 135 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,998 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 136 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,160 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,642 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.