Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed Autosense 10 acting erratically
Ohmy 
Resmed Autosense 10 acting erratically
I just got a new Resmed Autosense 10 and my sleep clinician told me my max pressure is 14 so the machine was set from 4 to 14. The machine was set to auto sense. I'm using a full face mask Quatro Mirage. I made sure that the mask did not leak. The first night I used it, I got i felt the pressure was too high because the mask almost blew out of my face. The second night I got a migraine headache, the third night again, the pressure peak so much that I felt the machine ramped up to 20 which is the maximum pressure of the machine. I download sleeping head and did not see that the machine pressure went up to 20. The highest pressure for me was a 9. I took the machine out of auto sense and place it on manual from 4 to 14. I went to sleep find and then on the middle of the night the machine started to act erratically and it blew so much air rapidly that i could not stand it. I stop using the machine and don't want to use it any more and stress out. Do you think there is something wrong with the machine peaking above the pressure that i defined? I appreciate your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Autosense 10 acting erratically
It is unlikely to be the machine, and your DME will test the pressure output if you thing it is. You might want to take it out of Autoset mode and put it in CPAP mode. You will only get one pressure. Given you prescription, I'd try 9.0 and see how it goes. This should give you a night of fixed pressure you can compare your previous experience against.

The terminology you are using is a bit off. The auto mode is Autoset, and the fixed mode is CPAP. There is no manual mode, and the CPAP mode is one single pressure, not a range. Sleepyhead only reports the pressure the machine reports. That is normally accurate, but if leaks form in the mask fit, the air flow volume can feel pretty extreme. Stick with it, and try to figure out where the leak is occurring.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, it may well be the machine. On machine number 3 - Autosense 10 (1st 2 had humidity issues), the same thing happened to me. It had been working ok, except for excess rainout, when suddenly one night it blew the mask off my face. Turned it off, and let it sit a few minutes, and then was ok the rest of the night. Next night - same thing - about 4-5 hours into the night - like a hurricane - very very scary. I called the place where I purchased it and they asked me to send it in to be checked. Sure enough, they said at about 4 hours, it just went crazy and started blowing air at maximum (20). They sent me machine number 4, which is working ok right now (except for the rainout issues with my particular mask, acknowledged by Resmed as unavoidable with the increased humidity built in when they redesigned from the Autoset 9).

So.....you need to have it checked by your DME - it could well be malfunctioning just like mine and it was a VALID malfunction (and based on you experiencing the same thing - an occasional manufacturing flaw), not a result of settings or anything you could fix.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine and have had pretty good luck with it acting the way I set it. If you have a chance you can post your sleepyhead charts and maybe there will be something that stands out that can be improved.

As SR pointed out the Leaks can really increase how strong the pressure feels so getting the mask fitted properly is really important.

Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

~Casey
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi joe7323,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully you can get your machine problem straightened out.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The A10 acts erratically during rainout (condensation in the tube or mask or both). Try taming the rainout first with a hose cover and if you have the climate line tube set it to auto. If that fails then return the machine.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines SleepHungry 18 931 11-24-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Power connector on Resmed 11 Autosense mzipp 4 578 03-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Air leak issues with Resmed Autosense 10 Connaisance 0 466 02-18-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: Connaisance
  [Symptoms] I'm scared. Am I at risk of death? Or is my pulse oximeter acting up? 444stranger444 5 834 08-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Autosense 11 not responding quick enough coolbranch 13 1,270 07-28-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: coolbranch
  Mask Setting in ResMed AutoSense 10 xhwmikey 7 1,304 02-20-2022, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] My new Resmed 11 autosense has the wrong GMT zone set. dpcalandro 2 2,451 01-19-2022, 07:37 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.