Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed Autosense - No Electricity Scare
RE: Resmed Autosense - No Electricity Scare
Batteries:

Big & heavy = cheap, reliable, stable, time proven technology

Small & light = more expensive, and well.... more delicate and when they go bad, it is often with bad results (anybody fly with a Samsung Galaxy 7 lately?)

US reference prices -
35-39 AH 12 V SLA battery (good for several nights in my configuration (YMMV), three and a half nights with low-moderate heated humidification - so if it dies in the night, I'm still covered, still small and lightweight enough to move around (~10 KG) ~ $65
Resmed 12-24 converter (required on Resmed units even if you had a 24 V battery) ~ $100
Fuse protected 12 V female cigar lighter cable w/ alligator clips ~ $10 - no fancy wiring required.

For manual switchover in power failure(wake up or before bed unplug standard wall unit and hook up battery to 12-24 converter, plug that e=into battery and back of Resmed unit) -
Deltran Battery Tender smart charger ~ $35 for small wall wart charger (looooooong time to recharge depleted battery; higher amperage models (twice the amperage) for ~$50.

For auto switchover is more elegant but more expensive - but you never know when power goes out -sleep right through it and it maintains battery all the time so minimal maintenance -
West mountain Super PwrGate PG40S ~ $135
12 V DC power supply (actually 14 V, but generally referred to as 12 V) ~ around $100
Both widely available from ham radio suppliers online. And wires...

This configuration has been posted several times on this forum - if interested search the forum results with keyword "powergate"

Also, go to the google and type in "Resmed Battery Guide". Resmed already wrote a book for you.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2018, 11:00 PM)Zainabpb Wrote: I'm learning alot from you, thank you. It's all still very complicated and at this point I just hope the electricity never goes of. With technology at the forefront it is quite strange that any of these companies making these machines have never thought of building these batteries inside the unit itself.  Surely it  should be a standard feature. How many products you get these days( Cellphones and Laptops for one) that doesn't need to be plugged in to operate. I think you should design a CPAP with built-in standby battery pack FATS.

Thanks for the help. ?

Google "Airing"  It will have internal batteries; entirely self contained, The size of a Tootsie Roll. (snicker snicker snicker)

Simple answer - too big, too heavy.  Even with LION cells.  Too expensive.  Rapidly depleted capacity (think how long that cell phone or laptop you got 2-3 years ago would go on a full charge when new vs now).
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2018, 11:00 PM)Zainabpb Wrote: I think you should design a CPAP with built-in standby battery pack FATS.

Thanks, but that would be OMMOHY who should do that. However, as he said, it's not really feasible with the technology we have at the moment, so the CPAP machine and its DC power source are two separate domains.

The information is in the various discussion threads here about power failures (and "power" is another good search term because not all of them have "UPS" or "battery" in the title), but for non-techies it's definitely too much trouble to put together a workable setup. The packaged products (BPS, Medistrom) are far preferable, when they work properly ... but they're expensive.

I was inadvertently a little bit misleading in an earlier reply, because some of the off-the-shelf lithium-ion battery packs, including that Gissaral that I reviewed, are not suitable for use in a UPS configuration because they won't automatically switch on and select the correct voltage. So finding just the right product is a challenge. For use while camping it's not a problem, but for building a UPS it is.

So far, my inexpensive non-solution at home is to be resigned to waking up in the middle of the night and connecting the battery pack if necessary, rather than having automatic failover.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2018, 06:55 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Also, go to the google and type in "Resmed Battery Guide".  Resmed already wrote a book for you.

Yes.  For anyone who wants it, the latest edition, August 2018, is here (PDF file) on the Resmed web site.

Thanks for the good summary of some options.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2018, 06:55 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Batteries:

Big & heavy = cheap, reliable, stable, time proven technology

Small & light = more expensive, and well.... more delicate and when they go bad, it is often with bad results (anybody fly with a Samsung Galaxy 7 lately?)

US reference prices -
35-39 AH 12 V SLA battery (good for several nights in my configuration (YMMV), three and a half nights with low-moderate heated humidification - so if it dies in the night, I'm still covered, still small and lightweight enough to move around (~10 KG) ~ $65
Resmed 12-24 converter (required on Resmed units even if you had a 24 V battery) ~ $100
Fuse protected 12 V female cigar lighter cable w/ alligator clips ~ $10 - no fancy wiring required.

For manual switchover in power failure(wake up or before bed unplug standard wall unit and hook up battery to 12-24 converter, plug that e=into battery and back of Resmed unit)  -
Deltran Battery Tender smart charger ~ $35 for small wall wart charger (looooooong time to recharge depleted battery; higher amperage models (twice the amperage) for ~$50.

For auto switchover is more elegant but more expensive - but you never know when power goes out -sleep right through it and it maintains battery all the time so minimal maintenance -
West mountain Super PwrGate PG40S ~ $135
12 V DC  power supply (actually 14 V, but generally referred to as 12 V) ~ around $100
Both widely available from ham radio suppliers online. And wires...

This configuration has been posted several times on this forum - if interested search the forum results with keyword "powergate"

Also, go to the google and type in "Resmed Battery Guide".  Resmed already wrote a book for you.

Now provided as a wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Solutions  Please let me know if you want to edit and you may become a wiki editor too.  My hope is that this wiki will have additional solutions and be a source we can point to when this question comes up in the future.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 194 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines SleepHungry 18 1,010 11-24-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Power connector on Resmed 11 Autosense mzipp 4 604 03-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Air leak issues with Resmed Autosense 10 Connaisance 0 477 02-18-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: Connaisance
  Cheyne Stokes scare....should I be worried Snowy2020 3 762 01-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Autosense 11 not responding quick enough coolbranch 13 1,317 07-28-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: coolbranch
  Mask Setting in ResMed AutoSense 10 xhwmikey 7 1,340 02-20-2022, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.