Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed F10 mask "jumps" on exhale
Resmed F10 mask "jumps" on exhale
I am a new CPAP user for about 6 weeks. While I am figuring out settings for ResMed Air Sense 10 CPAP (basic) that work for me, I am having problems adjusting to my mask(s). I went home with a ResMed Mirage FX nasal mask but had problems with immediate congestion from the pressure of the mask on my sinuses. I auditioned a few ResMed full face masks settling on an AirFit F10 which feels comfortable across my nose and noticiably reduced congestion. Breathing has been much easier. However, I am an active sleeper, usually on my right side but I also sleep prone while transitioning from one side to the other. In prone position, I have discovered the F10 mask "jumps" on my face (feels like it is is momentarily pushed onto my face creating a light jerk). This occurs in the transition between an inhale and exhale, and often enough that I cannot fall asleep prone. Is this a characteristic of this mask, of full face masks in general, or mostly related to my breathing patterns? Any advice on how to eliminate this jumpy characteristic?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed F10 mask "jumps" on exhale
Hi umpire318,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! You might be feeling the pressure reduction from when EPR (Exhale Pressure Relief) kicks in. You can get the clinicians manual from the "CPAP Setup Manuals" link at the top of this page. If you have EPR enabled, try reducing it to see if this helps. If it does not help, the problem is somewhere else.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would wager it's the EPR. The reduction in pressure on exhale takes some tension off the mask seal. It's normal; but, can be minimized.
My S9 is a bilevel with a 5 cm-water difference between IPAP and EPAP. My Mirage Quattro can jump as described.

Two things help lessen that tendency: 1) I wear the mask tight.
2) Rise time adjustment which may not be available on the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP; On mine, there is a setting called "easybreathe." When ON, the rise and fall times to/from IPAP to/from EPAP are like the exponential rise fall of an RC circuit.

Summary: Adjust mask strap tension and EPR for best result.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My thanks to JustMongo and Chill to focus on the EPR setting. My EPR setting was two. When I reduced it to 1, I found a noticeable improvement. Mask only occasionally "jumps", and when it does, seems to relate to how fast I am breathing. Now experimenting between maintaining the one setting and turning off EPR entirely. After a week back and forth, both settings seem pretty similar in effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the (AirFit P10) nasal pillows for a month now with no issues, however I recently had a cold and was very congested. I switched my nasal pillows over to the AirFit F20 full face mask and had trouble breathing with it on. The amount of air that is forced into it from my machine (AirSense Auto-Set 10) seems to be so much that it makes exhaling very difficult. Is this normal? It just seems like I am getting blown away. I don't get that sensation with my nasal pillows on. Just curious.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been experiencing "mask jump" aka "mask jerk" also.   It seems as though the mask falls a little onto my face/nose/cheek when I have finished breathing inward,  at the exact same time as I begin breathing out. It is pulled onto my nose/cheek just enough to make me aware of its annoying repetitive action. It doesn't end until I switch from my back to my side. This ongoing annoyance is keeping me awake. I have two total reverse shoulder replacements, one a year old, one a month old. I can never sleep on the one month old shoulder.  Sometimes I can, sometimes not, be on the year old shoulder.

I have a ResMed AirCurve 10 ST, and a Fisher Paykel Simplus Small and Large mask. 

Because I have a Bipap ST I am leary of fiddling with the machine settings, which I don't understand.

Any insight and 'lotta guidance into possible alterations to my machine will be greatly appreciated. I did send for the manual today.  I have been reading up on possible changes, and the lingo used. Arggh! Leaves me pretty confused so far.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,722 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 326 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 463 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 474 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 806 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,462 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 15,734 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.