Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed H5i Humidifier
Resmed H5i Humidifier
I am new to this forum and I am acting on behalf of my husband who is the one with sleep apnea--he doesn't like to spend much time on the cxmputer.
He has a Resmed S9 auto and the H5i humidifier. He has had these for about 2 years and loves it and has done well.
Very recently the humidifier is using water very quickly--it has never done this before. He has always been able to fill the chamber and have it last about 3 nights--now he can only do one night and there is very little water left.
He does use only distilled water and has not changed any of his settings. He only fills the chamber outside of the unit per instructions and has never had a spill in the unit.
There doesn't appear to be a leak because everything--the hose, the unit, etc. is completely dry. He has not noticed any change in the function.
We do live in Arizona and it has become much warmer recently. However that did not appear to have any effect last year so I doubt this has anything to do with it.
I appreciate any thoughts/help you can offer. I hope I have provided enough info.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed H5i Humidifier
Hi Msrocker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to both you and your husband.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine uses most of the water in a single night -- I have to refill every day.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier has a sensor that detects the humidity in the room. If the room is dry, it will use more water. If the room is humid, it will use less. Perhaps the weather change has made your area unusually dry so he is going through more water than usual.

As long as everything is working fine, then it is most likely just fine. Check the local weather and watch the humidity numbers. If they go up, he probably will start using less water.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Paula02...the air definitely gets drier in the house at this time of year. We will take a wait and see approach--as you say if it works great maybe nothing to worry about.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2014, 12:41 PM)Msrocker Wrote: Very recently the humidifier is using water very quickly--it has never done this before.
Water usage varies depending on temperature and actual room humidity
Also mouth breathing or mouth leaks (air escaping through the mouth) uses water quickly

Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes, though, it seems as though the water usage has no real rhyme nor reason. Zonk and I then blame the aliens.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If the alien tip fails to check out, you might check the humidifier on your HVAC system. If it's not working or if you don't have one, maybe it would be worth considering. With 36% humidity in the house, my H5i uses 1/3 cup of water in an eight-hour night.
Post Reply Post Reply
when i got my new resmed s9 auto last month the h2o never seemed to warm up... the folks on this forum gave some suggestions..
this is what worked for me
1- turned up the humidification to 5
2- turned the temp to 84
3- always use the warm up prior to getting into bed.

good luck...
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to burn through the water in the H5 in 4 hours.
I had to build a larger capacity humidifier from a Fisher & Paykal unit.
That one can hold up to 550ml of water and lasts all night.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.