Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed N30i
RE: Resmed N30i
On my head the N30 headgear sits lower than the Dreamwear. The N30 for me is very stable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2019, 12:49 AM)bga123 Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 09:09 AM)DanPrado Wrote: Just tried the N30i, very very happy as it does not move / leak for a side sleeper (moving side to side quite a bit).  The dreamwear was frustrating on this in for me.

Question for Dreamstation users: what mask setting are you using with this mask?

I tried the Dreamwear a year or two ago, and gave it up after a couple of weeks because it sliding up and popping off my head in the middle of the night.  Is the back of the mask shaped differently so that it fits lower on the back of the head?  I'm due for a meeting with the sleep tech so I can get a new mask (because it's been a year, not because my numbers are rising, grrr).  I think I'm using a Mirage Activa now, but my DME seems to primarily carry Philips products, so I'm not even sure they'll carry the N30i.

Yes, I loved the idea of the Dreamwear: no tube on the side to deal with when turning side to side plus nothing intruding in the nostrils.  Tried it several times, ended up buying 2 versions of it over the last couple of years, but just kept leaking when sleeping on side unless cocking the head weirdly on the pillow.

Only the 2nd night with the N30, I can flail my head from one side to the other with my full face on the pillow and have not had to adjust it once.  So far really happy.

The strap does sit low, and is has a horizontal split so you can adjust it around the back if needed.  In my case there is no need.

I gave up on my DME and buy the masks online, if you decide to go that route there are some shops that give 30-day trials.
Post Reply Post Reply
My N30i is due to deliver today... assuming UPS doesn't cancel service due to the "polar vortex" like the USPS did.

Hearing these reports and positive feedback has me super excited to strap it on tonight!   Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Just received the N30i today from the CPAP Shop.  This may be redundant info that others have mentioned, but my impressions are:
Nicely constructed, somewhat stiffer than the floppier Dreamwear frame (this in a good way).  I like that the exhaust diffuser holes are split into a small set to each side of the curved front of the nosepiece - they're quiet, angled slightly away from one another, and thus do not seem to shoot out a concentrated stream of air, at least at a modest pressure setting.  As with the Dreamwear mask, there is another vent in the top swivel.  Laying my head on a surface, the noise level seems quite low, less than with the Dreamwear.  The quick disconnect at the mask top works well, and is easier to disconnect than the Dreamwear.  The top connection swivels in 2 axes, like the Dreamwear.  As mentioned - and what I think will be of prime importance - is the fact that the nose cushion curves up at each side and cradles the nose laterally as well as underneath, to resist forces transmitted by the side arms and keep the cushion in place and maintain the seal   The built-in side arm cloth feels good.  The headgear strap material is comfortable and seems to be of good quality and adequate strength.
The Dreamwear was a game changer in design.  If the N30i fixes the Dreamwear's flaws - too floppy to resist movement, a cushion which can break free of its seal as the headgear flexes, too much noise transmission through the side arms, a bit too much stretch in the head straps, and a slightly fussy top disconnect - it should make this minimalistic design actually usable.  I have high hopes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I notice this mask has 2 frame sizes and I can't find anything online telling me what the measurements are. Only this from ResMed's N30i website:

If you are male, start with the standard frame size. If you are female, start with the small frame size.
If you try the standard size first, and the frame sits too close to your ears, size down to the small frame for a better fit.
If the frame is too large, try the small size frame for a better fit.
If you try the small frame first and the frame sits too close to your eyes, size up to the standard frame for a better fit.
If the frame is too small, try the standard size frame for a more comfortable fit.

Not really very helpful. I'd rather have measurements so I am sure.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
The N30 frame sizes are basically the same as the DreamWear frames. I use a small Dreamwear and small N30 frame.
Post Reply Post Reply
The N30 frame sizes are basically the same as the DreamWear frames. I use a small Dreamwear and small N30 frame.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear you.  It's kind of difficult to figure out.
I never felt that I had a large head - my face is fairly narrow - but I guess the overall dimension is important too because I take a large hat size....7 5/8, Large, or 60 cm.  
So maybe my head span is large from front to back or something.  Anyway, the standard N30i frame doesn't seem any too large for me.  The diagram included with the mask shows that in side view, when it's positioned correctly on the head, the top connection is neither too far back or forward on your noggin....about halfway back.  As long as the headgear is close to the correct size, you can fine-tune this somewhat by adjusting the length of the back strap.
Sorry I can't be more definitive.
I don't know for sure, but wouldn't be surprised that if you need to change sizes the CPAP Shop will work with you.  They've been pretty helpful for me in the past..
Post Reply Post Reply
This is what I would do - the standard frame is supposed to fit most people.
If you suspect that you may need the smaller frame, measure around your head with a cloth tape, just above the eyebrows, and then use this chart https://www.ubs.iastate.edu/hat_sizing_chart.html
to see if you would take a small hat size.  If definitely so, initially try the small frame.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update on the Airfit N30i.
I tried it for 2 nights and carefully analysed what seemed to be happening.  It's a nice mask, for the reasons I stated earlier, but it isn't going to work for me.  The nosepiece is stiffer than the Dreamwear cushion and this causes it to shift a bit from the side pressure of the arms.  The nosepiece shifts forward and upward on me just enough for the seal to break and air to blow upward.  And the septum piece of the cushion pushes uncomfortably on my nose's septum.
So, unless I'm using my Wisp, or my cobbled-together 'N20 cushion with Wisp-headgear' setup, it's back to my 'Dreamwear with extra set of headstraps' contraption for the time being.  I have to return the N30i.
Hope others have good luck with it though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 341 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,534 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 339 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 421 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Airhunger only with nasal masks Airfit P30i & N30i sleepymum81 8 1,105 09-27-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: enjoysleep59
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,179 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  Resmed N30i newer pillow mogulman 9 1,596 07-26-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: yankees123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.