Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed N30i
RE: Resmed N30i
CORRECTION
I don't think the septum portion of the N30i cushion, which is very soft, is what bothered my nose - rather it was the hard lower edge of the cushion housing pressing against my septum when the cushion shifted slightly upward during the night.  Sorry for misinforming about that
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks cronkster for the frame size suggestions. I will try that.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2019, 01:34 PM)cronkster Wrote: The nosepiece shifts forward and upward on me just enough for the seal to break and air to blow upward.  And the septum piece of the cushion pushes uncomfortably on my nose's septum.
So, unless I'm using my Wisp, or my cobbled-together 'N20 cushion with Wisp-headgear' setup, it's back to my 'Dreamwear with extra set of headstraps' contraption for the time being.  I have to return the N30i.

If you haven’t returned it yet, try loosening the strap and wearing the strap lower on your head so that it tilts downward toward the rear.

I too find that the N30 can press on my nasal septum more than the Dreamwear, but only if it is too tight.  I find the N30 needs surprisingly little pressure to maintain a good seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been using the P10 for over a year with pretty good results, but on occasion the nasal pillows cause a little irritation inside each nostril, particularly during cold weather or when I’m sick. I decided to give the N30i a test run because of this.

After two nights, I can say I like the design, the mask is very comfortable, and I’m having no real leak issues (a big issue when I tried the Dreamwear about a year ago). Unfortunately, I’m having a big issue getting enough air. When I seat the mask initially things are fine, but after a few minutes it seems to shift/tilt into a more vertical position and settle there. In that position, I feel absolutely starved for air and wake up over and over and have to keep reseating it. It still is sealing fully with no leaks, but it’s like there’s just not enough air flowing.

Any suggestions on this? I never had this issue with the P10. I even tried upping my min pressure from 8.4 to 9 and even 10, but continue to feel air-starved with the N30i.

I really want this mask to work because it’s extremely comfortable, but am close to throwing in the towel with it. I’ve tried both the small and medium pillows with similar results (medium pillows seem to result in fewer leaks though).
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been trying the N30i for a few nights and have noticed the same thing.  Someone on the forum suggested that you can wear it with the cushion quite loose and still maintain the seal, and I've been trying to do that and it seems to work - I'm not having any leaking issues and don't wake up.  And surprisingly my AHI is fairly low with it.  But when I do wake up in the morning, this mask seems to make one very aware of every breath, especially unless the cushion is situated just right.  I may keep it because of the good numbers, but the cushion seems to be a bit idiosyncratic.  I'm really interested in comments and suggestions about it.

For problems with the Dreamwear leaking, I have two fixes.  I put one of those wide elastic chinstraps on before the mask.  This gives the side arms of the mask something better than your cheeks to grip to and helps prevent movement, and also deadens sound transmission from the mask through your head. Second, I added an extra set of straps to the side arms of the mask, below the normal head straps.  This further stabilizes the floppy arms and keeps the nose cushion where it belongs through the night.   It's easy on and off, and not as clunky or cumbersome as it sounds.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2019, 02:34 PM)cronkster Wrote: I've been trying the N30i for a few nights and have noticed the same thing.  Someone on the forum suggested that you can wear it with the cushion quite loose and still maintain the seal, and I've been trying to do that and it seems to work - I'm not having any leaking issues and don't wake up.  And surprisingly my AHI is fairly low with it.  But when I do wake up in the morning, this mask seems to make one very aware of every breath, especially unless the cushion is situated just right.  I may keep it because of the good numbers, but the cushion seems to be a bit idiosyncratic.  I'm really interested in comments and suggestions about it.

For problems with the Dreamwear leaking, I have two fixes.  I put one of those wide elastic chinstraps on before the mask.  This gives the side arms of the mask something better than your cheeks to grip to and helps prevent movement, and also deadens sound transmission from the mask through your head. Second, I added an extra set of straps to the side arms of the mask, below the normal head straps.  This further stabilizes the floppy arms and keeps the nose cushion where it belongs through the night.   It's easy on and off, and not as clunky or cumbersome as it sounds.

I tried this last night, and it seemed to help a ton early on, but I still woke up several times during the night air-starved, and the problem was only compounded when sleeping on my side. The manufacturers of these top attached masks say that airflow isn't decreased when one side is compressed, but at least for me, that's not the case. I have this issue with the N30i and I had it with the Dreamwear. I think I'll just have to accept that this style, with the hose attaching at the top, just isn't going to work for me. I also noticed that this mask is extremely loud, to me just as loud as the Dreamwear. The N30i definitely is more comfortable to me than the Dreamwear, and leak issues are minimal, but I cannot seem to get enough air.

Oddly enough, my AHI is the lowest perhaps its ever been in the few nights I've used this mask, but I'm utterly exhausted from waking up so many times not getting enough air and then struggling to fall back asleep with the tornado sound in my ears. I'm disappointed, but glad I gave it a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other quick observation - I like to use the Bose Quiet Comfort Noise Canceling headphones to watch my iPad for a little while before drifting off to sleep, and those just don't function with this style of mask. The little bit of pressure the headphones apply to each side of the mask is enough to almost completely restrict airflow. I was willing to deal with that if the mask worked well for me otherwise, but it doesn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear you.  Just a couple of thoughts:
Before you give up on either of the masks, have you tried the elastic chinstrap thing?  Put on first, it deadens the sound quite a bit.
Also, I think an often neglected factor is one's bed and pillow.  I find that sleeping on a conforming mattress of latex which allows one's shoulder to press into the bed comfortably, combined with a low pillow such as the 'purple pillow' which is only 2 inches high and gently cradles the side of the head, can make things work better.

Changing a mattress and pillow is a big deal, both hassle wise and money wise, but sometimes it's the real problem and the only way to end the struggle with masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The suggestion someone made about angling the headstrap lower on the back of the head to change the angle of the nosepiece a bit made a difference for me, too.  Combined with keeping the strap pressure not too tight, it stopped the waking up starving for air problem.  But as I said above, I think one ultimately has to pay attention to chinstraps, mattresses and pillows as well as mask fit to eliminate these nagging problems.  Use an overhead hose hanger, too, to eliminate hose tugging.

The sizing guide showed my nose just barely into the medium range, and that's what I tried first in a cushion.  Last night I tried the small cushion, because I found that using the small dreamwear cushion worked best for me to eliminate shifting.  The small N30i cushion, worn very lightly, seemed to work also.  It barely fits around my nose, but worn lightly with the head band low on the back of the head, the flimsy interior of the cushion seals well and stays sealed.  I got a good AHI reading at a modest pressure of 8.0 cm.

I'm very interested in everyone's reports.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 346 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,547 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 423 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Airhunger only with nasal masks Airfit P30i & N30i sleepymum81 8 1,106 09-27-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: enjoysleep59
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,185 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  Resmed N30i newer pillow mogulman 9 1,598 07-26-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: yankees123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.