Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question
Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question
Greetings all, I'm new here but have had an old Bipap machine for years, an old Respironics Plus. I recently bought a new Resmed s10 Autoset and have sleepyhead software now. Well what a revelation, the world sure has moved on from my old machine. Results are looking very positive indeed.Smile

However I have one question regarding the humidifier. It doesn't seem to use much water (compared to my old machine). Just how much water do these usually use? I'm concerned that maybe the heater plate isn't working correctly and I may need to replace the machine under warranty. Water level only dropped about 5mm last night on humidity setting 5. The machine says the humidifier is good (happy face on the screen in the morning). My mouth does feel a little dry upon waking.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question
(11-01-2016, 05:28 PM)keithb4158 Wrote: However I have one question regarding the humidifier. It doesn't seem to use much water (compared to my old machine). Just how much water do these usually use? I'm concerned that maybe the heater plate isn't working correctly and I may need to replace the machine under warranty. Water level only dropped about 5mm last night on humidity setting 5. The machine says the humidifier is good (happy face on the screen in the morning). My mouth does feel a little dry upon waking.

In my A10, my water usage is dependent on ambient conditions and the settings of my climateline hose to prevent "rainout" (excessive moisture in the hose and mask). Have you checked all of your settings? What is your pressure setting?

Climate Control: Manual/Auto
Tube Temp: Off/60 degrees to Auto
Humidity Level Off/8

You may wish to "Run Warmup" and check the heater plate carefully - I take a moist paper towel and put it on the plate -- and then remove it to see if the towel is warm.

My water use in a warm, dry house at a pressure of 12-14.8 (cm H20) without climateline and with a humidity setting of 4 uses almost all of the water in the tank.

(And, consider any medications, and hydration status) when thinking about dry mouth.

Pull the water chamber and look for any signs of corrosion on the plate and the chamber -- corrosion can act as a heat insulator and reduce the effectiveness of your system.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'll look into it. I have only used the new machine for 2 nights. Still getting acquainted with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The manual settings generally use more water than auto, but takes some trial and error to avoid rainout. A climateline hose will allow higher humidity settings, and generally, the higher the humidity setting, the higher the hose temp.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi keithb4158,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you like your new machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2016, 05:28 PM)keithb4158 Wrote: However I have one question regarding the humidifier. It doesn't seem to use much water (compared to my old machine). Just how much water do these usually use? I'm concerned that maybe the heater plate isn't working correctly and I may need to replace the machine under warranty. Water level only dropped about 5mm last night on humidity setting 5. The machine says the humidifier is good (happy face on the screen in the morning). My mouth does feel a little dry upon waking.

Hi Keith,
I'm in Adelaide, so a lot less ambient humidity than in Brisbane.
I have my humidity on Auto, with a hose temperature of between 27 and 29.
I use almost a full water container overnight (8-9 hours).

I checked the humidity for Brisbane on the BOM website for the last couple of nights. It was pretty humid, for at least one of those nights. Maybe the machine is sensing it does not need to add much humidity.

I'm afraid the dry mouth thing seems to go with using a full face mask.
I used by CPAP on a plane recently with no humidity - that was a nightmare of dryness, so the humidifier does work pretty well.

Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all, I have checked the heater with "run warmup" it heats up just fine. And yes last night was fairly humid. I'm pretty much reassured that my S10 is doing what it is designed to do. Happy days!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 396 44 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 109 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 468 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,240 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.