Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit
Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit
Hi I'm new to this forum and after reading some of the posts I can see that the CPAP I'm using, a Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit II has become a bit out of date. It's the only machine I've ever owned since being diagnosed , I guess I've been using it for about 5 years and time has flown.

My question is - should I be thinking about renewing this equipment? I'm not having any problems with it that I'm aware of, other than I've discovered that the data retrieval accessories are a bit hard to come by. It's a lot of money to lay out for something that doesn't need to be replaced but I'm wondering what sort of life span I should be expecting from the machine and when and under what circumstances should it be replaced. Is anyone still using one of these, or have I become a CPAP dinosaur?

Thanks everyone
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit
Hi andyjh64,

I think that if the machine isn't delivering consistent pressure or you're seeing a reduction in therapy effectiveness or are otherwise unhappy with your results then that constitutes a need for replacement. Unfortunately without data that's a hard thing to measure. Is your AHI consistently low? Have you seen a degradation in the machine's performance? There are ways to measure the machine's output with a manometer but I'm not familiar with the procedures. A subjective test is to ask yourself how you feel each morning.

Other than performance, the next reason to upgrade would be to get data monitoring capabilities which you may find beneficial unless you already have a very well controlled AHI. In any event, the data may be useful at a future time for spot checking, checking out new mask performance, etc. People's pressure needs are known to change over time and having the data is helpful.

Least important, in my opinion, are the features associated with a new machine. If you've already taken well to your current one and don't have a need for them, then it may not be worth the expense. However, your machine won't last forever and it's always good to have a spare. I don't know how long they typically last but I've heard of others using theirs for 8 years.

You might find that a newer machine is quieter. It's up to you whether that's worth the expense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paptillian, I think I need to have a look at the data like you said. I'm unsure of the machine's performance. I don't feel like I'm seeing as much benefit as I did in the beginning but that may be due to bad sleeping habits and not the machine's fault
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 12:19 AM)andyjh64 Wrote: I don't feel like I'm seeing as much benefit as I did in the beginning but that may be due to bad sleeping habits and not the machine's fault

Don't discount the mask as a possibility, too. A poor mask fit or an old/tired mask will degrade the therapy as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the smart card reader? if not ... its pricey available on ebay from Israel and pricier from CPAP Australia (Supplier #13)

Both ResMed S9 and Phillips Respironcis system one machines uses SD card and don,t need anything special, also both distinguish between obstructive and central sleep apnea
Archangle machines choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

FYI ... Both suppliers #2 and #10 ship ResMed and Respironcis products to Australia
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk

Yes I'm now cursing the fact that I've got an S8 model which as you say needs the dedicated card reader. I've never downloaded the data myself, but it looks like I'm gonna be paying approaching $200 for the reader and the card. Not sure whether to do it or put the money toward a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paptillian I did replace the mask cushion not too long ago but yes I think it might be time to replace the whole mask. These components are so expensive though, I just haven't decided whether to do it or just invest in a more up to date machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 12:49 AM)andyjh64 Wrote: These components are so expensive though, I just haven't decided whether to do it or just invest in a more up to date machine.
I cannot afford paying the local rip-off prices, get my supplies from Supplier #10. Check Supplier #2 for new or used machines
Machines are multi-voltage, you only need power plug adapter US/Aus or Aus power cord

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't worry about the machine being a dinosaur. Is it working well for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well that's the dilemma Mark. I need to have a look at the data, but getting the necessary peripherals to do that for this machine is going to be expensive. I guess I could take it to the sleep clinic, but that will cost too. Just wondering if I can get hold of a decent secondhand S9 somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,432 6 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 59 8 hours ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 133 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 198 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 593 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 273 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,305 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.