Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit
RE: Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit
Hi andyjh64,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would skip the smartcard reader for the old machine and put the money toward a mew fully data-capable machine.
Supplier #2 here on the board sells gently used or open-box machinesfor great prices from what I have read.
You could always keep the S8 for a backup since it is still running. and if your ship ever comes in, you could get the cardreader for it, (Ha-Ha.)
Good luck to you on your decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 07:43 AM)andyjh64 Wrote: Just wondering if I can get hold of a decent secondhand S9 somewhere.
Supplier #2
You don,t want any S9 with Escape in the name such as S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto
S9 Autoset and S9 Elite are data capable machines, in US the Autoset just few dollars more than Elite

Also check Gumtree (something like craigslist in US) ads in your area

Edit: as far as I know, supplier#2 and Supplier #10 are the only suppliers ship ResMed and Respironcis products outside US and not bound by manufactures policy which prohibit the sales of their products to overseas buyers

In Australia, CPAP GST exempt but might be some tax paid for orders above $1000

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 12:49 AM)andyjh64 Wrote: Paptillian I did replace the mask cushion not too long ago but yes I think it might be time to replace the whole mask. These components are so expensive though, I just haven't decided whether to do it or just invest in a more up to date machine.

The mask and the machine are two completely independent items. Just because you get a new machine does not mean you need a new mask, and vice versa. A new machine will not function well with a poor mask, just as a good mask will not help a poor machine.

Assuming you are not unhappy with your mask, there is no real need to get a new mask if it still works. As far as I know, mask bodies don't wear out, they simply break. So if the body is still fine, simply replacing the mask cushions (and possibly the strap) is all that is required. And those can be ordered off the Internet without a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your input guys, I really appreciate it

Things have moved on a bit for me in that I managed to get into the clinical menu for my machine to obtain some of the data that I wanted. A week's worth of data yielded the following results: -

AHI - 8.6
AI - 0.5
HI -8.5

It seems the machine is still doing a good job of almost eliminating the apnea attacks (I was in the moderate range pre-CPAP) but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the significantly higher rate of hypopneas. Without using the software obviously I can't determine exactly when these events are occurring, but should I think about increasing my pressures to reduce them further? Incidently my current pressure range is 7.6 -13, not as originally stated in my profile.

Thanks again for your help Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Whats leak and 95% pressure?

Leak above 0.4 L/s (24 L/min) affect accuracy of data
Increase the minimum pressure might help if the hypopnea are obstructive events. S8 autoset increase pressure in response to snoring and flow limitation but not to apnea above 10 to avoid falsely responding to central hyponea

S9 autoset can distinguish between obstructive and central events and respond appropriately

FYI, the cliniacl manual available via email http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

S8 setup video http://vimeo.com/19565675
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk I will check that other data. I think the leak was 0.5 L/s
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Andy,
CPAP dinosaur maybe, but hey join the club mate. Been a nightly user for 16 years on the same Autoset without a day of trouble. Problems with mask? Well that's another story.

The Resmed product, I have found to be an excellent machine. Always expensive but very reliable if treated with care. Mine has always been tucked away in a bedside drawer and is used from the same location. I just pull out the hose and mask, switch it on and shut the drawer (leaving just room for the hose). Nice and quiet on a soft foam slice under it.

I have recently tried to source a comm's cable for my machine to allow data download (had cable and software back in the early days and rarely used it, but lost the cable along the way. Not sure if it would interface with Windows 10 now, as I used it on Windows XP) , but as you said; they are getting old and spares are almost non existent.

I am tempted to sell mine second hand and replace it with a Resmed AirSense10. Maybe the total outlay after Private health Insurance rebate (my company offers rebates every 5 years for this item) and sale of the old unit, would make the process an affordable one?

When it comes to really needing the data you will have to decide that for yourself, but you could consider reading the Clinicians Menu on your machine to get a little more that  you can from the basic menu and then decide if the nightly results need further investigation or not.
If you need to access the Clinicians Menu it is quite simple, but once in there tread carefully so as not to change any settings unless you know what it is you are changing.

Clinicians Menu is accessed by turning on the machine then holding down both the down arrow and red buttons at the same time. Release both buttons when you see the Clinicians Menu appear on the screen.

From an economical perspective, I would stick with your old clunker and if you think your machine data needs re-evaluating, speak with your Sleep Physician about supplying the data manually to him/her and then the matter may be discussed further between you and your Physician.

Should at anytime in the future your machine takes a dive, they are very readily available (unless your live in the back of Bourke and then you just take a short holiday in the closest town with a retailer that can sell you one)) and you just have to buy a shiny new one. At least that way you have pushed out the expense of a new machine for as long as possible .

I have rambled long enough. Hope the info is of some help. All the best.
slumberking
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Slumberking things have moved on quite a lot for me since that original post and i'm now the proud owner of an S9.  Muche better data reporting and more options. I probably would have carried on with the S8 if I hadn't had an unfortunate accident with it one night involving the humidifier leaking into the main unit. It was tragic!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again Andy,

OOPS! Maybe I replied to a post a little outdated. Sorry for that. Anyway hope all is going well.

Cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 396 45 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 109 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 468 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,240 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 678 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.