Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed S8 Compact Disassembly / Cleaning
Resmed S8 Compact Disassembly / Cleaning
My S8 Compact is in need of having its impeller cleaned. When it starts up, it sounds like a siren. It got so loud it woke me up last night. Blowing compressed air through it helps quiet it down, but not enough, and over time it gets louder again. Changing the hypoallergenic filter doesn't help. I'd like to clean the impeller. But after removing the 4 Torx screws from the underside, I still can't get it open to access the blower impeller. Can anyone tell me how to proceed to open it up?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S8 Compact Disassembly / Cleaning
Somewhere there are disassembed photos of an S8 into its major sub-assemblies.
Likely S8 repair is undertaken by replacing sub-assemblies.
I don't think you can get to the impeller.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dreamweavil,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 04:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: Somewhere there are disassembed photos of an S8 into its major sub-assemblies.
Likely S8 repair is undertaken by replacing sub-assemblies.
I don't think you can get to the impeller.

I'd like to try.....They put it together, right? So somehow (hopefully not destructively) it can be taken apart. I just need to know what hidden fastener scheme they used, so I can get it apart and still put it back together when I'm done. I've seen many hidden screws under labels, rubber feet, etc. But the bottom layer here seems very thick, and hard to remove if that's the key.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to the way JustMongo worded his post, my subsequent Google search for "disassembled photos of an S8" led me to THIS post right back here on this forum, in which there is a current link to the registered member files.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...bly-repair

In there I found the Service Manual for an S8 Auto 25, which is close enough to my S8 Compact to reveal the secret to splitting the case after the 4 torx screws are removed from the bottom. It says " a great deal of force may be required to separate the cases". OK, 800 pound gorilla approved for action. Smile

The deal is that the innards are all rubber lined. The rubber coating seems to want to adhere strongly to the plastic case until you force it apart for the first time. Once it finally starts coming loose it was easy to finish removing it.

Once you get inside, the S8 Compact is made of a lot of easy to disassemble and clean parts! Smile Even the impeller cage is a 2 piece affair that opens up. So I was able to give everything a thorough cleaning to remove the dust that had gotten in over the past several years. It is much quieter running now, but still a bit noisy compared to when it was new. Not sure what else could be done. It still makes a faint siren sort of whine when running. I'm due for a new CPAP machine this fall anyway through my insurance, so it should get me by until then.

I'd never have taken the leap of faith to get this open if not for the information in this forum, as I was afraid there was something else inside holding it together, and I did not want to break it. So thanks to you all for helping me solve the problem! Smile

(08-15-2014, 05:06 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Dreamweavil,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.

Thank you Trish! In fact I did find the solution and have solved my problem. Have a great night! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 756 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.