Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket?
Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket?
I'll be making a long car trip in a few weeks and wanted to be able to pull over for a good nap if needed. I've found a product called "DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines" which will apparently allow me to plug my CPAP into the cigarette lighter. Does this work?

Also, this option costs $85. Can I get something cheaper that will let me plug into the cigarette lighter? Or would that damage the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Cigarette Lighter Socket?
If you have the S9 Autoset the Resmed S9 DC converter will work fine. There is a different unit for the Airsense 10. Don't try to find a substitute. The Resmed machines use a very finicky voltage detector on the center pin to find a signal that the charger is OEM. You could perhaps design a substitute, but you'd be an electrical engineering geek to do so. There are non-OEM DC converters, but the minimal savings would not tempt me to take a chance with that option at the risk of losing warranty on the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 operates on 24v and a car operates on 12v. The S9 also employs a special plug on the power supply that provides info to the S9 about the supply's wattage capability. For me the $85 is far cheaper than the possibility of turning my S9 into a boat anchor.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mulewagon,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You would be better off getting the part that goes with the S9.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, have a nice trip, and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines and use it when I'm camping on hunting trips. It works very well. I also used it one night in a pinch after the power went out. It's worth the money. I got it from vendor #1.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's more than just the right voltage. The S9 power supply is "copy protected." Someone hooked up an oscilloscope and found there is some sort of a coded signal sent during the power up sequence.

Shame on you, ResMed!
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2016, 09:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have the S9 Autoset the Resmed S9 DC converter will work fine. There is a different unit for the Airsense 10. Don't try to find a substitute. The Resmed machines use a very finicky voltage detector on the center pin to find a signal that the charger is OEM. You could perhaps design a substitute, but you'd be an electrical engineering geek to do so. There are non-OEM DC converters, but the minimal savings would not tempt me to take a chance with that option at the risk of losing warranty on the machine.

Are you saying the units that show up on an ebay search for resmed power supply for a lot less money are to be avoided? Sometimes I see the cigaret lighter type listed there. I suppose used is a possible way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
For your S9, you are looking for ResMed part number 36970. They sell for about $85.00 US

The 12 to 24V converter for the 10 series is a different part number.

You might find a 12V to 120 VAC unit that can then be used with the power brick that came with you S9, but then you have a double conversion; and a waste of battery power.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2016, 07:56 PM)Lanco Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 09:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have the S9 Autoset the Resmed S9 DC converter will work fine. There is a different unit for the Airsense 10. Don't try to find a substitute. The Resmed machines use a very finicky voltage detector on the center pin to find a signal that the charger is OEM. You could perhaps design a substitute, but you'd be an electrical engineering geek to do so. There are non-OEM DC converters, but the minimal savings would not tempt me to take a chance with that option at the risk of losing warranty on the machine.

Are you saying the units that show up on an ebay search for resmed power supply for a lot less money are to be avoided? Sometimes I see the cigaret lighter type listed there. I suppose used is a possible way to go.

That is exactly what I am saying. Do not use the cheap parts that claim they can be used. I have been around a while, and am still eating to hear that these non-OEM parts work properly. I do know that some of them fail to provide the expected signal, resulting in the CPAP shutting down, even when 24 volts is supplied. If you want cheap battery power, get a Philips Respironics 12 volt machine.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  any lighter power supply for Airsense 10? christian4870 3 612 11-21-2022, 04:02 AM
Last Post: christian4870
  Second Hand Cigarette Smoke-What Can I Do? Honeybee2SRV 17 3,216 04-11-2020, 07:52 PM
Last Post: holden4th
  Best hose management for lighter masks? MrZennie 21 3,846 09-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Last Post: DanGagner
  Is There a Lighter more Flexible Hose fro ResMed Airaense 10? Melman 3 1,486 03-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  [Equipment] Experience with lighter CPAP machines for travel? jrolli1509 2 2,504 07-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Grover64

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.