Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Issue
Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Issue
Hi, everybody, brand new to the board here.

So, I've had my Respironics CPAP for almost two years now and have been using it happily with little to no issues with it. Well, that is until last week. In the middle of the night, the machine will beep, then beep again almost immediately. The machine will shut off and then reboot itself. The lack of airflow wakes me up and sends me gasping until the flow starts again. I tried to turn the machine off then turn it back on, but it does the same thing after about a minute or so of operation. I tried unplugging and replugging it, and the same thing happens. So, has anyone else experienced this issue with a Respironics machine? If so, is there an easy fix or do I have to bite the bullet and get it serviced?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Issue
Roy,
Welcome aboard. In the manual for your machine, beginning on page 11 there is a chart that lists what certain audible alerts coupled with what is on the screen at the time mean. If you don't have your manual I just used my friend Google and entered Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Beep Code and the first PDF file that was returned was the manual. Good luck. I hope it is something easy (cheap) to fix!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there any kind of error code on the screen?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Probably not the cause, but this reminds me of a similar issue...

Could your household electrical lines be experiencing some sort of voltage fluctuation, perhaps?

The rebooting could be caused by voltage dips. Do you ever experience dimming or flickering in your household lighting at times? This could indicate a low voltage situation.

Some have solved this issue by purchasing an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) and hooking up the CPAP to that. Of course, not sure if this is your issue, but it could be. Dont-know
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The wiring in my house isn't the best, but I would think that within 2 years of use this problem would have been made apparent before now. There is no error message that crops up, it will just beep, shut off, display the Respironics screen, and then go back into therapy mode. I believe the SD card is full, but this occurred last night with the card removed from the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if the card being out is doing it? But seems as though it wouldn't reboot....

It could be a voltage issue outside your home. We had a tree limb leaning on a wire for most of the spring. Finally a storm blew down the entire tree and they had to replace the line. The fluctuations inside our old house stopped.

You tried unplugging, waiting, the plugging back in....

Try it with another card or take the data off the card (unless you need it to show compliance)
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I think voltage dips and fluctuations happen more in the summer time, when your neighbors' air conditioners, fridges & freezers cycle on more often, which can cause small voltage dips in the neighborhood.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found a thread on another board where someone had a similar situation and two different people had the same issue that turned out to be their "Auto off" feature. Once they disabled the Auto Off it worked fine. I honestly don't know if your particular model has an auto off, but it's worth a look anyway.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah! Like you take the mask off and the machine turns off?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2012, 02:59 PM)mjbearit Wrote: I found a thread on another board where someone had a similar situation and two different people had the same issue that turned out to be their "Auto off" feature. Once they disabled the Auto Off it worked fine. I honestly don't know if your particular model has an auto off, but it's worth a look anyway.

Yeah that could be it. Coffee I had this exact same problem when I was running my S9 AutoSet right after I got it - would turn off, then re-boot for no apparent reason. Totally forgot about that.

I think what was happening is that I moved my head in my sleep, developed a slight leak in the mask, and the machine's auto-off function thought I had removed my mask, and turned the machine off. Then when I woke up and started to breathe through the mask, the auto-off/auto-on function turned it back on.

Turning auto-on function totally solved the issue as mjbearit said.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 101 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 366 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 654 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.