Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Respironics System One Auto On/Off
Respironics System One Auto On/Off
I am new to this forum and have been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. Although I don't require the full features of the Respironics System One Auto A-Flex device I chose to obtain this brand new particular model with a prescription from my Doctor of Sleep Medicine. I have read all of the manuals exhaustively and have used both a loaner Remstar Pro initially and now my current device fairly successfully for nearly two months. One issue I cannot seem to comprehend, to make it function as I have read, is the Auto On and Auto Off features both of which I have selected to "On" in the Provider/Clinician setup. Removing my mask merely results in a large leak depiction on the tracking software but in the short interval (1-2 minutes) I waited the device never turned off. I assumed the purpose of this feature was to be able to temporarily suspend therapy for such issues as a washroom visit requirement during a night's therapy. Am I totally missing the purpose of this feature, perhaps being too impatient or do I have a defective machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics System One Auto On/Off
(05-24-2014, 01:51 AM)Ike Wrote: One issue I cannot seem to comprehend, to make it function as I have read, is the Auto On and Auto Off features both of which I have selected to "On" in the Provider/Clinician setup.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=188]
Very confusing to me, not sure if that how suppose to works (stand to be corrected)
Auto on ... on
Auto off ... off
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes - It is two separate functions.

I have 'Auto On' selected to on and 'Auto Off' selected to off.

I find the Auto on great because I can just reach for the mask and put it on to start the machine when I am ready to go to sleep instead of getting half out of bed to push the button.

I thought Auto off would be useful too, but in the end I found it best to not use it... I think that it is better to have the noise wake me if the mask comes adrift than have the machine switch off....

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly. The one question I am still unsure about is does this auto on or off feature respond immediately upon putting the mask on or taking it off, because mine does not, or is there a time lag and if so approximately how long before I should expect before the device turns on or off respectively?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ike,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much, Trish!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 12:05 PM)Ike Wrote: one question I am still unsure about is does this auto on or off feature respond immediately upon putting the mask on or taking it off, because mine does not, or is there a time lag and if so approximately how long before I should expect before the device turns on or off respectively?

I've got the prs160s, (model 560p) and, like other pr units I've had in the past, they're *VERY* slow to respond to mask on and mask off situations.

I feel like I'm trying to suck start an engine with every one I've used, and they run for what seems like quite a long time after taking the mask off.

as opposed to the resmed S9 units I've used, which typically start on the first gentle inhale, and stop within a couple of seconds of taking the mask off. I like the resmed responsiveness much better, myself.

take the mask off, head to the potty, and it might have shut off by the time you get back Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response, Diamaunt. This is precisely the answer I was searching for. If no one else had this problem then I would have returned my machine for replacement. I shall try your suggestion tonight since I practically always need to interrupt my sleep during the night due to a previous surgical altering of my digestive system. I guess I'll just have to accept the device's built-in tardiness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 02:40 PM)diamaunt Wrote: one question I am still unsure about is does this auto on or off feature respond immediately upon putting the mask on or taking it off, because mine does not, or is there a time lag and if so approximately how long before I should expect before the device turns on or off respectively?

I've used two PRS1s - an APAP and an AutoBiPAP - both with build dates in the past 12 months. That APAP turned on quickly after my first or second inhale. The AutoBiPAP just ignores me even though I'm practically hyperventilating to turn the thing on ("automatically").

Why doesn't Philips just post for everyone the firmware updates, or at least read about them to know what they're fixing to see if we need it? I'm sure, just like computers, there are flawed versions out there that were later updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point! I shall peruse Philips' support to verify if I actually have the latest firmware.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,609 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,044 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,068 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 373 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.