Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
RE: Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
Two questions for you VotM, First, is your wife getting rainout in the mask and the hose or just in the hose? Second, what type of mask is she using? Is it FFM, nasal mask, or nasal pillows?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
(10-09-2014, 02:49 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 02:23 AM)VotM Wrote: For now, she's trying to get used to setting 5 in the System One Humidification "on" mode. We'll see how it goes.

Ok, so if you're having a rain out issue and she doesn't like the heat then why is it on 5? Let's start by turning it down to 2......

That's setting 5 with System One Humidification "on". In theory this should only be adjusting for the room's humidity. In practice, it's almost like a completely different -- and lower -- temperature range.

In "classic" mode (System One Humidification "off") with her unit, even setting 1 causes rainout.

Galactus Wrote:And just as a side note wrapping the hose loosely will not keep the heat in, it will just prevent the cold from condensing the water.

That turns out not to be the case. Keeping cold out and keeping heat in are effectively one and the same as far as maintaining water saturation. (Though wrapping the tube is more cost-efficient.) Whether you're adding heat to the air inside the tube or blocking cold from the tube walls, you are still taking action to keep the temperature of the air inside the tube above the dew point. So if you "keep the cold out", you are in truth blocking heat dissipation from inside the tube to the outside.

Galactus Wrote:And honestly the amount of temperature we are talking about here is negligible, it's just enough to add more moisture to the air in the area of a few degrees from ambient.

Ever read "The Princess and the Pea"? Rolleyes Seriously, I'm always amazed at the slight changes in environment my wife is able to detect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 03:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Two questions for you VotM, First, is your wife getting rainout in the mask and the hose or just in the hose? Second, what type of mask is she using? Is it FFM, nasal mask, or nasal pillows?

Rainout is taking place both in the hose and in the mask.

She wears an FFM. (She's tried all of the others you listed in the past, including a hybrid mask/pillow combination; the FFM has been the most comfortable for her.)

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 04:56 PM)VotM Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 02:49 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 02:23 AM)VotM Wrote: For now, she's trying to get used to setting 5 in the System One Humidification "on" mode. We'll see how it goes.

Ok, so if you're having a rain out issue and she doesn't like the heat then why is it on 5? Let's start by turning it down to 2......

That's setting 5 with System One Humidification "on". In theory this should only be adjusting for the room's humidity. In practice, it's almost like a completely different -- and lower -- temperature range.

In "classic" mode (System One Humidification "off") with her unit, even setting 1 causes rainout.

I have a 760, and that is my setting, system one humidification on, set to 2 as 5 was too moist for me.

Galactus Wrote:And just as a side note wrapping the hose loosely will not keep the heat in, it will just prevent the cold from condensing the water.

That turns out not to be the case. Keeping cold out and keeping heat in are effectively one and the same as far as maintaining water saturation. (Though wrapping the tube is more cost-efficient.) Whether you're adding heat to the air inside the tube or blocking cold from the tube walls, you are still taking action to keep the temperature of the air inside the tube above the dew point. So if you "keep the cold out", you are in truth blocking heat dissipation from inside the tube to the outside.

I can only tell you what worked for me. I was getting some rain out with the settings I had as above. Someone suggested I cover the hose. My wife made me a quick tube of fleece, it fits very loosely over my standard not heated hose. I placed the unit lower than the bed as well. That stopped the issues for me.

Galactus Wrote:And honestly the amount of temperature we are talking about here is negligible, it's just enough to add more moisture to the air in the area of a few degrees from ambient.

Ever read "The Princess and the Pea"? Rolleyes Seriously, I'm always amazed at the slight changes in environment my wife is able to detect.

Well as someone that has been married for a few decades might I suggest a newer model? Dielaughing
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 06:12 PM)VotM Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 03:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Two questions for you VotM, First, is your wife getting rainout in the mask and the hose or just in the hose? Second, what type of mask is she using? Is it FFM, nasal mask, or nasal pillows?

Rainout is taking place both in the hose and in the mask.

She wears an FFM. (She's tried all of the others you listed in the past, including a hybrid mask/pillow combination; the FFM has been the most comfortable for her.)

Well that rules out several of the things that I might have suggested. Exactly what FFM does she use?

The reason that I ask is that I have found a distinct difference in the propensity to get rainout in the mask between different masks. The F&P masks that I used when I started VPAP (both nasal and FFM) seemed much more prone to condensation than the the Resmed Mirage Quattro that I am using now. I think that the difference is either the thickness of the polymer or the exact polymer and its condition.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 06:57 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Well that rules out several of the things that I might have suggested. Exactly what FFM does she use?

Respironics FitLife. (It's actually her equipment that I've listed in my profile.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry! I have completely lost my train of thought.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If she abandons the classic mode and uses system one humidity mode it will reduce rain to a huge extent possibly eliminate it altogether.

The heated hose no 1 setting delivers air 4 degrees higher than ambient room temperature. 5 tube setting is 16 degrees above ambient room temperature.

The fix would be go with heated hose on no 1 setting and drop the room temperature 4 degrees. Then set the humidity from anywhere from 70 to 90 percent with the humidity settings of 1 2 or 3 in set up menu. No rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 08:39 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If she abandons the classic mode and uses system one humidity mode it will reduce rain to a huge extent possibly eliminate it altogether.

That seems to be the case for her. None of the system one humidity mode settings are producing rain.

It's just amazing that the 60 series has such a marked difference in humidity than the 50 series for classic mode, at least as far as her experiences go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 01:02 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: But that mask sensor does not function in system one humidity mode only heated tube mode.
Thank you for this nugget. I have been fiddling with the settings, not understanding why it doesn't make sense.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,256 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,406 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.