Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
When Respironics upgraded from the 50 Series to the 60 Series, one change made was in the humidifier water chamber lid. Specifically, the older lid has a smaller chamber that projects downward over the heated base, while the newer lid is close to being flat underneath.

Does anyone know exactly what this lid change is supposed to accomplish in the new humidifier design?

I ask because my wife is experiencing severe rainout when using the new 60 Series humidifier in classic mode. We never observed this condition on three prior CPAP/BiPAP units using 50 Series humidifiers in classic mode. We are curious as to whether the change in the lid design is contributing to the rainout problem.

An aside: when the 60 Series's System One mode is "on", the rainout problem disappears -- but so does almost all of the humidity.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
Hello,

I have never had an S50 in my hands, so it can not really contribute to the question.

My humidifier lid has a connector for the Respironics Heated Hose with which rainout can also prevented good in classic mode. Consideration would otherwise procurement of 'Respironics Update Kit' consisting of a lid with the electric connector, the larger power supply (80W) and the heated hose.
You could also use instead the system of the 'Hybernite Rainout Control Heated CPAP Tube', Universal heater hose for most CPAP devices. There should be more similar devices.

Rainout arises primarily from precipitation on the inner wall of the hose from the warm, moist air at much colder room temperature.

Greetings

Fat Rat
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
Hello,

(10-07-2014, 09:18 AM)Fat Rat Wrote: My humidifier lid has a connector for the Respironics Heated Hose with which rainout can also prevented good in classic mode. [...]

A bit of confusion here, probably due to the limit on the length of the subject line. I'm referring to the lid of the water chamber itself, not the humidification unit. The older model essentially has a baffle that forces the incoming air around it before the air goes off to the tube; the newer model allows a free flow of air directly across the water chamber.
Post Reply Post Reply
The design change was to increase humidity capability in system one mode or heated hose mode. Having that machine I can tell you how to run it so you get the humidity you want with no rain out.

If for some reason the system one humidity mode isnt enough humidity and its capable of putting out an awful lot, try this.

Switch to heated hose mode. The humidity settings are in setup and are as follows. 1 = 70 percent humidty 2=80 3=90 percent humidity. If she doesnt like warm air just set the hose temp on the dial to 1, which is 4 degrees F above the room temperature, then set the humidity in setup to 1 2 or 3 depending on what she wants.

If hose setting of 1 heat is still to much just lower the room temp 4 degrees and you are back to the temp she is now.

In that mode there is a sensor in the hose at the mask end that measures the humidity in the mask itself, along with the system one humidity sensors in the machine. But that mask sensor does not function in system one humidity mode only heated tube mode.

Run that way if she wants 90 percent humidity at the mask that is what she will get at the mask. Water used you cant judge by because of varying humidity in room air night to night that is being pulled into the machine to start with.

Some nights it will use a lot of water some nights hardly any but the humidity at the mask will be what you set it at in heated hose mode because of that mask sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi VotM
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck to you and your wife with her CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 01:02 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: The design change was to increase humidity capability in system one mode or heated hose mode. [...]

Hmmm... this makes me wonder if the old style water chamber lid would reduce rainout in classic mode.

My wife's current prescribed unit isn't equipped with a heated hose. One of her complaints with all of the units has been that the air coming into her mask is too hot whenever the humidity level is just right. A heated hose seems like it would just compound her complaint.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation and for all the suggestions!

Post Reply Post Reply
If its a PRS1 series 60 (560) machine it has the heated hose standard. The 550 doesnt. The humidifier for the series sixty wont work with the 550.

The old style water chamber also will not fit into a series 60 ie 560 humidifier. The lid will not shut on the old style water chamber.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I looked up the specifics. It's a DS1060S with a DS6H humidifier. The DS6H does not come standard with a heated hose; the DS6T does. Both the DS6H and DS6T use the 60 Series water chamber... or, to be more precise, the 60 Series water chamber lid. (The 50 and 60 Series use the same tub.)

Good point about the water chamber fit, or lack thereof.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 04:17 PM)VotM Wrote: OK, I looked up the specifics. It's a DS1060S with a DS6H humidifier. The DS6H does not come standard with a heated hose; the DS6T does. Both the DS6H and DS6T use the 60 Series water chamber... or, to be more precise, the 60 Series water chamber lid. (The 50 and 60 Series use the same tub.)

Good point about the water chamber fit, or lack thereof.

Yep same tub different lid. DME being nice gave me a spare tub which had the lid for the 550 on it. Tub the same. Lid is different and cover wont shut on it lol.:grin:

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 03:28 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If its a PRS1 series 60 (560) machine it has the heated hose standard. The 550 doesnt. The humidifier for the series sixty wont work with the 550.

All the PRS1 60 series machines can be ordered without a humidifier. The optional humidifier comes in heated hose capable and non heated hose capable versions.

I don't know whether all heated hose humidifiers ship with a heated hose or not. It wouldn't surprise me if some DME's break up the set and bill separately.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,046 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.