Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
RE: Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
So if I get this right you have a 60 series and humidifier, without the heated hose.... and when you have the humidity set right you are having rain out... do I have it right? And the point is to stop the rain out? Provided I have that right, first set the machine below the height of the person. Doesn't have to be far below, just so the hose needs to go up rather than down or level. second wrap the hose, in a hose cosy. No cosy? get an old tube sock, cut the toes off and slide the hose through, or use some material and make one, the insulation will help, and the height will help. Should end the rain out issues. Worked for me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics System One Humidifier 50 Series vs. 60 Series - humidifier chamber lid
And if all that does not help, pull any excess hose under the covers with you to simulate your own heated hose. I even used to lie on part of the hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Heating the hose isn't the ideal solution. My wife already complains that the air coming out of the unit is too hot! Confused
Post Reply Post Reply
There are three ways of eliminating rainout that I can think of offhand.

Increase the hose temperature
Increase the room temperature
Reduce the humidity in the hose

There are various means of accomplishing these goals but I can not think of anything else that will help.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
PaytonA, you missed one;

Insulate the hose from the ambient air.

Hence the cosy.

Jus mho.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 05:37 PM)Galactus Wrote: PaytonA, you missed one;

Hence the cosy.

Jus mho.

Insulating the hose increases its temperature as compared to the uninsulated state ergo heat the hose. At least that was my thought in addition to heating the hose directly. As I think I mentioned there are a number of specific methods to affect each parameter change.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 10:50 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 05:37 PM)Galactus Wrote: PaytonA, you missed one;

Hence the cosy.

Jus mho.

Insulating the hose increases its temperature as compared to the uninsulated state ergo heat the hose. At least that was my thought in addition to heating the hose directly. As I think I mentioned there are a number of specific methods to affect each parameter change.

Think of it this way. The rain out comes from condensation inside the hose. The condensation is coming from the temperature change between the hose and the rooms ambient air. OP says the air is already hot enough inside the hose so they don't want to heat it more. If you put a cosy on the hosy (poetic pause) then you are keeping the ambient room air from making condensation inside the hose but not heating the air. That is what has worked for me even if I may have the science wrong. You know what I mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 11:39 PM)Galactus Wrote: Think of it this way. The rain out comes from condensation inside the hose. The condensation is coming from the temperature change between the hose and the rooms ambient air. OP says the air is already hot enough inside the hose so they don't want to heat it more. If you put a cosy on the hosy (poetic pause) then you are keeping the ambient room air from making condensation inside the hose but not heating the air. That is what has worked for me even if I may have the science wrong. You know what I mean?

The condensation occurs because the air in the hose loses heat in transit from the humidifier to the person using it. If you wrap the hose, you keep more of that heat from radiating away. This isn't quite as bad as actively heating the air, but the net result is still warmer air for the person at the receiving end.

For now, she's trying to get used to setting 5 in the System One Humidification "on" mode. We'll see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish happiness, that it now works with your settings!

Btw. the heated hose doesn't really 'heat', it warms up only a few degrees - fine, if it is controlled by the blower/humidifier. I can't feel it's working directly unless I compare it direct by touching an unheated one.

'too hot' can't be caused by a hose.

Greetings
Fat Rat

PS: @PaytonA: Finely compiled!Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 02:23 AM)VotM Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 11:39 PM)Galactus Wrote: Think of it this way. The rain out comes from condensation inside the hose. The condensation is coming from the temperature change between the hose and the rooms ambient air. OP says the air is already hot enough inside the hose so they don't want to heat it more. If you put a cosy on the hosy (poetic pause) then you are keeping the ambient room air from making condensation inside the hose but not heating the air. That is what has worked for me even if I may have the science wrong. You know what I mean?

The condensation occurs because the air in the hose loses heat in transit from the humidifier to the person using it. If you wrap the hose, you keep more of that heat from radiating away. This isn't quite as bad as actively heating the air, but the net result is still warmer air for the person at the receiving end.

For now, she's trying to get used to setting 5 in the System One Humidification "on" mode. We'll see how it goes.

Ok, so if you're having a rain out issue and she doesn't like the heat then why is it on 5? Let's start by turning it down to 2......

And just as a side note wrapping the hose loosely will not keep the heat in, it will just prevent the cold from condensing the water. And honestly the amount of temperature we are talking about here is negligible, it's just enough to add more moisture to the air in the area of a few degrees from ambient. Wrapping the hose just will create enough barrier to prevent the condensation. You have zero to lose by trying it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,024 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.