Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Love My AHI Going Down But What About Time in Apnea and sleep quality?
RE: Love My AHI Going Down But What About Time in Apnea and sleep quality?
(12-14-2021, 11:55 PM)S.Huxley Wrote: What a great OP, although it appears that the same poster(s) have hijacked the thread again with their incessant and unwanted medical advise. If you recall, I suggested earlier in another thread that you should not feed them but it looks like you didn't get the memo.:-) I too find it interesting how Hypopnea events are frequent when on a DS machine, yet the calculated aggregate time spent in apnea is very low or zero most of the time. This is of course because even though the events are registered, hypopnea in each even has not been allowed to last long enough. It sounds like you are back on track, enjoying your therapy again. Good job.

Hypopnea are not apnea and therefor do not count towards time in apnea... Not that hard to understand and has nothing to do with length of the hypopnea, just the relevance of the statistics being mentioned.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2021, 12:28 AM)Geer1 Wrote: Hypopnea are not apnea and therefor do not count towards time in apnea... Not that hard to understand and has nothing to do with length of the hypopnea, just the relevance of the statistics being mentioned.

Hypopnea and apnea are very much the same family of sleep disorder with the only difference being that the former is indicated by a slow-down in respiratory function, often leading to a full cessation of breathing, thus becoming "apnea". When a Hypopnea event is broken up by external intervention then it does not count towards 'time spent in apnea" because there was no cessation of the respiratory function. That's just stating the obvious. This is also why CAS events are never recorded by an ASV machine, only Hypopnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you got that wrong S. Manz, when you say I've had an Astral. I've never been issued one. I've never used one. My COPD was in fact diagnosed in 2017. It took a turn for the worse in '19. Diseases can do that, they can get better or they can get worse. What you decided to quote me on is accurate in that ASV therapy was good for about 2 years. I'm very sorry you have problems believing my account of my own therapy.

Since you S. twins do not want me "hijacking" your therapy of CAS, which you both have coincidentally, that's perfectly fine. I don't even have CAS, I have CSA, otherwise known as Central Sleep Apnea. Keep patting yourself on the back on your grasp of CAS and how the SV Auto is better than ResMed's ASV. Don't hyperextend your elbow in doing so.

To clarify one more item, the ResMed ASV does flag Central Apnea, which I guess is what you both mislabeled as CAS. The ResMed ASV calls them Unclassified Apnea as seen on OSCAR.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I should have taken the advice. Oh well.
Will not be responding to off topic posts from this point on.
Keep well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 66 1,047 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 6 83 3 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 181 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 135 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 122 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 267 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 231 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.