Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] S10 Auto vs Dream Machine auto
S10 Auto vs Dream Machine auto
I have recently been diagnosed with OSA.  My sleep report will not be ready until next week and perhaps I am being premature in asking questions.  I have been researching OSA and the machines and masks used for treatment.  I certainly like the idea of an APAP machine and have read a good deal about the Resmed S10 auto and the Dream machine auto.  The question that I have concerning the two machines is the algorithm; the Resmed being more aggressive than the Dream Machine’s algorithm.  During the sleep study I tolerated the nasal mask decently, the only problem was exhaling.  So…. My main query is which machine am I going to have better treatment and better sleep?  I understand that the Resmed has better EPR.  The Dream Machine has a less aggressive step up when sensing an event; The Resmed being more aggressive with the pressure step up; I am wondering if the Resmed is going to wake me up?  I understand that both of these machines are good, just wondering if one is better tolerated than the other?  Any insight will be appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S10 Auto vs Dream Machine auto
You seem to have done your research, but what you are asking is something no one can answer for you.

Yes, the ResMed has an algorithm that reacts faster than PR machines, but that doesn't make it better.  Those that use the DreamStation claim it is gentler and easier to breath.  

ResMed has the EPR feature, where if you set it at 3,2 or 1, it will drop the pressure on exhalation by 3,2 or 1cm pressure.  

With AFLex, the most exhalation relief you will receive is up to 2cm depending on flow. (meaning the strength of your exhale.)

Both these machines are good and you can achieve great results with either.  Everyone is different in what they feel most comfortable with.

Most of us don't have the opportunity,  but if you can trial each machine for a week, then you can feel the differences yourself.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the other hand, the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset provides true exhale pressure relief of up to 3 cm. The Philips machine uses AFlex to adjust pressure downward up to 2 cm at the beginning of exhale. Also the Resmed machine offers two modes, standard and soft, so you have the option to use the auto algorithm that works best. As you note, Philips auto is slower to respond to obstructive cues, it must be set with a higher minimum pressure to prevent them. I think the best therapy is to have minimal pressure changes through the night, and a properly optimized auto machine should not have to increase pressure a lot to provide good therapy through the night, so this practical approach means the both machines give approximately equal therapy when properly setup to prevent apnea and hypopnea. Still, I think EPR beats Flex every day.

I see a lot of both machines on the forum and while users of both have success and failures, I think there are more problems on the Philips (my non-scientific anecdotal observation), and in general, I think the Resmed method of determining the apnea type (forced occilaton technique FOT) is more reliable than the method used by Respironics (pressure pulse).

When my wife was prescribed CPAP a couple months ago, I got involved and made sure the prescription was written for auto, and we declined a Philips Respironics 60 Series Auto (already setup by DME) for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Seriously, the DME was going to give us the older discontinued machine. You have to know what's going on to avoid that. Make sure you have a prescription for auto, and then insist on what you really want, and normally as long as you're informed and involved you will get what you want.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, silversnore. Welcome to the forum. 

As OpalRose said, the machine that works best for you is very personal. My advice would be to arrange to trial both machines so you can make an informed decision on which works best for you.

Good luck with your new journey.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi silversnore,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 07:45 PM)pupcamper Wrote: Hello, silversnore. Welcome to the forum. 

As OpalRose said, the machine that works best for you is very personal. My advice would be to arrange to trial both machines so you can make an informed decision on which works best for you.

Good luck with your new journey.

Have you ever found a way to "trial" both machines and making a selection?  I don't know where that is offered.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen several posts where people had trialed two machines. It won't hurt to ask. He may well not be able to, but he will never know whether he can or not unless he asks.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
SLEEPRIDER, when you say the resmed has two algorithums, standard and soft is this in reference to the black airsense or the " for her " airsense as thought it was only the "for her" that had a softer setup. These two units are the same price and if your not worried about what colour the machine is, then you get more options with the "for her" airsense, logical choice really.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soft was a mode previously reserved for the for her model, but is now found on all Autoset machines.

I went with the Resmed Autoset after trying both for a month. The dreamstation was comfortable for me, but the Autoset did a better job treating me (even with a tightened range), and I felt more rested when I used the Autoset.

I definitely agree with a poster above that said it's personal. You may not agree with why I liked the Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for clearing that up, was just about to buy a for her model, but makes sense they would just use the same guts once the old stock of autoset was cleared.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 674 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,332 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 391 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 231 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.