Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] S9 AUTOSET SLOW TO RESPOND
RE: S9 AUTOSET SLOW TO RESPOND
(12-12-2013, 04:24 PM)BILCO Wrote: Any comments welcomed about using EPR at 3 setting in CPAP mode would be appreciated. See my comments on the post.
There is no right or wrong. Just whatever works for you, everyone is different ... some swear by it while others swear at it
I turned EPR off some times ago and never looked back, affect my breathing pattern and feel like rushing me to breathe but of course one mans meat is someone else poison

Read here for information about EPR
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/html/dev...c=patients

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 AUTOSET SLOW TO RESPOND
(12-12-2013, 04:52 AM)BILCO Wrote: I assumed that an Autoset would progressively increase pressure during an Apnea to open the airways but my nearly new Machine does not increase pressure until after the apnea and breathing is resumed. This suggests to me that either the machine is faulty or I would be better using it in CPAP mode with a higher pressure setting to prevent the apnea in the first place. I used to use CPAP mode in S9 Escape using EPR 3 but it occurs to me that by the same token the lower pressure on expiration increases the the risk of onset of an apnea because it has less of a prophylactic effect. Feedback would be appreciated before I return the Resmed Machine under complaint. Incidentally, the S9 Escape would abruptly reduce noise and output (Detected by touch) but still show the correct pressure on the screen. Pointless to test it because when the machine is stopped and started again it is normal. Any similar problems?

No auto CPAP/APAP machine will increase the pressure rapidly. It's usually something like 1 or 2 cmH20 pressure points per minute. If you're breathing normally and suddenly transition into apneas, it will take the machine a while to catch up, and you may suffer from apnea for a while.

This is one reason why it's important to set the minimum pressure to a high enough level that it stops most of your apneas.

Some of the more complicated machines like ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilators) or "T-mode" bilevel machines DO try to respond more quickly, but many people find them hard to sleep with because they feel like they're forcing you to breathe on the machine's terms, not yours. You can usually get better results with a properly adjusted APAP or CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 111 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 463 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  I'm new. Shouldn't my machine respond more BeautifulDay 15 755 12-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,862 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 755 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.