Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: S9 AUTOSET SLOW TO RESPOND
(12-12-2013 04:24 PM)BILCO Wrote:  Any comments welcomed about using EPR at 3 setting in CPAP mode would be appreciated. See my comments on the post.
There is no right or wrong. Just whatever works for you, everyone is different ... some swear by it while others swear at it
I turned EPR off some times ago and never looked back, affect my breathing pattern and feel like rushing me to breathe but of course one mans meat is someone else poison

Read here for information about EPR
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/html/device_epr/epr.html?nc=patients
12-12-2013 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: S9 AUTOSET SLOW TO RESPOND
(12-12-2013 04:52 AM)BILCO Wrote:  I assumed that an Autoset would progressively increase pressure during an Apnea to open the airways but my nearly new Machine does not increase pressure until after the apnea and breathing is resumed. This suggests to me that either the machine is faulty or I would be better using it in CPAP mode with a higher pressure setting to prevent the apnea in the first place. I used to use CPAP mode in S9 Escape using EPR 3 but it occurs to me that by the same token the lower pressure on expiration increases the the risk of onset of an apnea because it has less of a prophylactic effect. Feedback would be appreciated before I return the Resmed Machine under complaint. Incidentally, the S9 Escape would abruptly reduce noise and output (Detected by touch) but still show the correct pressure on the screen. Pointless to test it because when the machine is stopped and started again it is normal. Any similar problems?

No auto CPAP/APAP machine will increase the pressure rapidly. It's usually something like 1 or 2 cmH20 pressure points per minute. If you're breathing normally and suddenly transition into apneas, it will take the machine a while to catch up, and you may suffer from apnea for a while.

This is one reason why it's important to set the minimum pressure to a high enough level that it stops most of your apneas.

Some of the more complicated machines like ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilators) or "T-mode" bilevel machines DO try to respond more quickly, but many people find them hard to sleep with because they feel like they're forcing you to breathe on the machine's terms, not yours. You can usually get better results with a properly adjusted APAP or CPAP.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
12-17-2013 05:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2015 peer reviewed article on how xPAPs score events and auto algorithms respond robysue 1 96 12-03-2016 07:48 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Dr too slow? Go to the hospital? dd777 28 1,890 03-20-2016 03:56 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Question What happened? did my cpap failed to respond? ezdrifler 6 716 02-07-2016 12:59 AM
Last Post: Ghost1958
  Slow start, but a great outcome.. retired_guy 10 2,201 06-29-2015 09:33 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  airsense 10 autoset or resmed S9 autoset sleepybeaver 18 6,100 05-30-2015 07:38 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Do people respond to apneas differently? novatom 10 1,992 03-06-2015 12:50 AM
Last Post: SailingAway
  [Equipment] What is the VPAP supposed to respond to plasticplumber 3 1,160 02-20-2014 03:48 AM
Last Post: plasticplumber