Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] SD Card - does that go to your dr appt w/you?
RE: SD Card - does that go to your dr appt w/you?
What does DME stand for?

Durable Medical Equipment.

It sounds like some people are asked to send their card to the DME agent, the agent runs the data, and sends it to the doctor, however this also appears quite variable. I'll let you know what I'm asked to do once I get my equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yesterday I took my SD card into my first follow up visit with my Dr. since beginning CPAP 3 weeks ago. He was mainly interested in 3 numbers: compliance, average AHI and leak rate. It's SOP at my sleep clinic apparently. But he also said that the science is still not perfect and to take the stats with a grain of salt, adding that as recently as 4 years ago, they didn't have machines that could record all the data that is available today.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2015, 07:17 PM)archangle Wrote: Lazy bums. Any sleep doctor who doesn't look at your SD card data himself during routine followup visits should be defrocked.

However, most of them don't.

mine does Smile

of course, he is also an apneac (isthataword?)
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dr. had me bring the machine and card for both the initial compliance visit and the one-year followup. In both cases, they checked the pressure as compared to a calibrated manometer. They also downloaded data from the card.

It appears protocol varies depending on where and who is doing the followup.

My one-year visit was with a Nurse-Practitioner in the clinic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2015, 08:31 PM)Sparkle Wrote:
(01-21-2015, 08:24 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: My doc asked for the whole machine next visit. I think he wants to look at the setup as well as the SD data. I neglected to bring the card to my most recent visit, but I did bring some Sleepyhead printouts to discuss with him, and he was blown away by my understanding of the data (thanks to this board).

If in doubt, just take it with you.

The whole machine!?! Wow - when is your next visit - how many weeks? What did he have to say about how to proceed? Same as usual?
As a matter of fact, I'm seeing him tomorrow. It has been about a month since my last follow-up. BTW, my CPAP communicates with my DME. They report the minimum compliance time with the insurance company. The Dr. usually requests the card for clinical analysis.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2015, 08:27 PM)Sparkle Wrote: What does DME stand for?

Distributor of Medical Equipment and/or Durable Medical Equipment

We gots a cool list of such alphabet soup.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

As far as the card, in the 3 appts I have had with my "sleep doc" over the past 7 or so years, he has never asked for the card or machine. I consider him rather useless and lazy (he is the one that insists their entire office deny all patients autoPAPs). Some day I may pursue finding another but I don't foresee a reason to do that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all of you!

I'm curious to see what will happen at my Feb 19th appt. I will bring the card with me. And maybe some printed out myair reports. I don't want to mess with the SD card just yet because I'm not comfortable with that whole write protect thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add my experience in here. When I finally got a sleep doc (pulmonologist) he had me bring the whole machine in and his office staff would download the report. The first time he also checked the pressure accuracy. The last time the office staff asked me to take my machine to the DME and have them run the report. I told them that was not necessary I would bring the report when I came in. They said, "Can you print out the report?" I told them that I could. They asked where I got the software. I told that that I got it from the internet. So now they just want me to print out a 90 day report when I come in.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 12:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: ...The last time the office staff asked me to take my machine to the DME and have them run the report. I told them that was not necessary I would bring the report when I came in. They said, "Can you print out the report?" I told them that I could. They asked where I got the software. I told that that I got it from the internet. So now they just want me to print out a 90 day report when I come in.

That is also my experience. The Dr's staff had not heard of anyone doing their own 'Download' but they are cool with it. Saves me going out of my way to get the equipment supplier to do it. As I posted the other day - my Dr is more than happy with the Sleepy Head printouts - saying that they are easier to read than the Encore layout.

The question about getting the calibration checked is interesting - I think it is quite necessary for the calibration of a fixed machine to be checked but my Dr's view in the case of Auto machines is that if the AHI is good and it doesn't feel like the pressure is higher than it used to be then it doesn't much matter from a practical point of view what the numbers say.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your AHI and leak rate have not changed and you are operating in "auto" mode all the time, I think that he may be right

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help assessing recent charts, appt. tomorrow (!) Julia63 3 461 08-28-2023, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 922 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,869 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  Follow up appt and SH report chailes 5 1,220 02-06-2019, 11:52 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Important appt w/sleep doc - not doing well - need advice Chalkie 2 1,196 11-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
Wink [Pressure] Upcoming sleep PA appt question SleepyTree 11 2,058 10-14-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: SleepyTree
  [Diagnosis] Advice for sleep doc appt. mountainbird 8 2,323 10-25-2017, 06:37 PM
Last Post: mountainbird

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.