Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] SD card question? unlock or not
SD card question? unlock or not
Hello All,
I'm new at using the Sleepyhead software and I have a question. This may be a very "dumb question" with an obvious answer. (I admit I can be "dumb" sometimes...)

I understand that I'm suppose to "lock the card" before inserting it into my computer. Should I "Unlock" the card when I insert it back into my CPAP machine? Will the missing days be restored to the card?

The reason I ask is I've only been using "Sleephead" since Dec 27th and tonight wanted to check the past few days But, I didn't see any new "data". The SD card was "locked" in the machine since Dec 27th.

I'm wondering if that is the reason for the lack of new data? It feels like a stupid question...(I have other medical stuff that affects cognitive and memory...at times). Help please...

Sincerely....
ranger100
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD card question? unlock or not
G'day ranger100

The only stupid question is the one which isn't asked.
You must have the card unlocked when in the machine, otherwise it can't write any data to it.
It's recommended that you have the card locked in the computer to prevent the computer writing unwanted volume information to the card (which could confuse the machine).

I'm not totally sure about the Remstar, but I expect it will update most of the missing data to the card when you insert it unlocked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Paul!

I'll check it again in the morning to see if I have the missing days...

Take care,
ranger100
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 12:57 AM)ranger100 Wrote: Should I "Unlock" the card when I insert it back into my CPAP machine? Will the missing days be restored to the card?

I did that the other day and my machine flashed an error message. So I took the card out and unlocked it. This was only for a short time, perhaps fifteen minutes and the data seems to have been written to the card. I doubt that there is enough internal memory in the machine to hold much data without the card, but I can't say how much. I suppose it's documented somewhere but I haven't looked for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 02:24 AM)eseedhouse Wrote: I did that the other day and my machine flashed an error message. So I took the card out and unlocked it.
ResMed S9 and Air 10 gives you a warning when you insert the card in locked position and does not start with the card in locked position
The S9 and Air 10 store up to 365 days of summary and therapy data
Detailed data written directly on the card and not stored in the machine memory

Post Reply Post Reply
While we're on the subject, if you don't put the card in fully, the S9 and most likely the Airsense 10 will start and run fine but no data is written. That data/days are just gone. Don't ask me how I know this.

There is a registry change I found at a site called 'Windowsclub' for the Win 8.1 fix. Option #2 worked for my version if your familiar with registry changes. This will hopefully stop it from writing to my SD card when I forget to lock it before sticking it in my reader.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 04:57 PM)Napmeister Wrote: While we're on the subject, if you don't put the card in fully, the S9 and most likely the Airsense 10 will start and run fine but no data is written. That data/days are just gone. Don't ask me how I know this.
Only detailed data lost in this scenario as detailed data written directly on the SD card, whenever the SD card inserted correctly, the machine write compliance and therapy data on the SD card

When the SD card inserted in the machine, S9 display a message "Reading SD card" and A10 message "Preparing SD card, do not remove power or your card" also the SD card red light flashes

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 06:14 PM)zonk Wrote: Only detailed data lost in this scenario as detailed data written directly on the SD card, whenever the SD card inserted correctly, the machine write compliance and therapy data on the SD card

That is exactly how it played out ... thanks for the detail. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 10:22 PM)Napmeister Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 06:14 PM)zonk Wrote: Only detailed data lost in this scenario as detailed data written directly on the SD card, whenever the SD card inserted correctly, the machine write compliance and therapy data on the SD card

That is exactly how it played out ... thanks for the detail. Thanks
Hi Napmeister,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You can stop Windows from writing the folder to your SD card that causes this problem. Then ever after you won't need to lock the card when inserting it in your computer. Download the file named Disable Removable Drive Indexing from my web storage site link below and unzip it. Then double-click the .reg file it produces and consent for it to add the necessary data to the registry that will prevent indexing removable drives. It is necessary to reboot for it to take effect.

This is only necessary for those who are running Windows version 8.1 No other version of Windows has this problem.

Download Site

If you have already had the misfortune of allowing Windows to place that folder on your SD drive, you can remove it by downloading the file named Remove System Volume Information Directory that is also on that download site.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 236 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
  Question: ResMed My Air & SD card rdudley9 2 715 06-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 923 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  SD card question Winterfrost 9 909 09-10-2021, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Winterfrost
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,889 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  SD Card Question TommyG 5 851 02-09-2021, 01:08 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.