Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] SD card won't mount in PRS1
SD card won't mount in PRS1
I have a Philips Respironics System One APAP, bought on a local Craigslist, which came with a 2 GB SD card that says "Philips Respironics" on it (made by PNY). I bought the machine last April, and it was about a year old at the time, so now it is pushing two years old. Prior to this machine I had another identical one from the DME (my first machine ever) which also came with a similar card made by Lexar. I returned the machine to the DME when I bought my own machine on Craigslist, but I kept its SD card, so now I have two genuine Respironics SD cards. Furthermore, I bought a 4 GB card from a local computer store, which I used for several months. All three cards were fine in the machine and my computer, although the 4 GB card was actually a micro card in a mini adapter and sometimes it was a bit flaky to read/write. Because of this I switched back to one of the two genuine Respironics cards, which I have been using for several months. Every morning I remove the card to read the results from the previous night in SleepyHead, and put the card back into the machine when I go to bed.

Last night I forgot to put the card back in the machine before going to bed. I have done this before and it's no problem - I just put the card in the machine in the morning, wait a few moments until it writes the previous night's data, then remove it again and put it in the computer. However, when I did that this morning the machine beeped and gave me an error message that the card needed to be removed and reinserted. I did so, several times, but I couldn't get it to mount the card. After a few tries I looked carefully at the card and it looked like there was a wisp of black plastic across the leftmost contact. I carefully removed the wisp of plastic, but the machine still would not mount the card. I also unplugged the machine for a few minutes and then plugged it back in so as to reboot it, but still no luck.

Then I tried the card in the computer, and it mounts and reads fine. I copied all the data off the card to a folder on my computer, just for backup. Then I unmounted and reformatted the card (VFAT), but the machine still won't mount or read it.

Finally, I tried my other two cards, but the machine won't read either one of them either, although both mount fine in the computer.

Conclusion: The problem must be in the card reader in the machine. I.e., if it won't mount three different cards, all of which mount fine in the computer, then the problem must be with the machine, not the cards.

I peered into the card cavity on the machine with a strong light and a magnifying glass, but I can't see anything wrong. I also used a can of pressurized air on it, but it still won't read any of the cards. Interestingly, it knows a card has been inserted because it beeps and gives the error message; it just can't read it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions for things to try that I haven't already thought of? Does anyone know how long the warranty is on a PRS1 ('cause I haven't called them yet). Or is this the fates telling me that it's time to buy the S9 Autoset that I wish I had?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD card won't mount in PRS1
JJJ, hope someone responds with some advice that is an easy fix.

But if all else failed, if I was in your situation (after exhausting all other options and confirming that the machine is out of warranty), I'd be tempted to open up the machine and see what kind of SD card reader it had, and see if I could purchase similar-looking cheap laptop SD card reader that might be retro-fitted into the CPAP machine and wired properly.

I'd be willing to bet that these CPAP manufacturers use off-the-shelf internal SD card readers - I doubt they design their own. You might even be able to get the make and model number off the internal card reader, then Google for it to see if can be purchased on-line. Drastic solution, but might be worth it considering the cost of a new machine.

And, if you actually do that sort of CPAP-surgery, we all do expect pictures to be taken and posted. BigwinkSmile

But, I hope someone offers a better solution, nonetheless. Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 01:24 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: But if all else failed, if I was in your situation (after exhausting all other options and confirming that the machine is out of warranty), I'd be tempted to open up the machine and see what kind of SD card reader it had, and see if I could purchase similar-looking cheap laptop SD card reader that might be retro-fitted into the CPAP machine and wired properly.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might just do that.

Meantime, I called Philips Respironics and discovered that the warranty is two years from the date of the original sale to the DME.

Since I bought the machine used I don't know exactly when the original sale date was, but they told me that the original sale date can be found by the DME from the serial number. I gave the fellow at Philips Respironics the serial number, but they would not or could not give me the sale date or whether it was still in warranty because I am a mere worthless patient. Only the DME can get that information.

Then I called my DME, but they insisted that PR should give me the information because if I gave the serial number to the DME they would just have to call PR to get the information. So I tried again to get the warranty information from PR. This time I convinced them to transfer me to "Warranty Department," but that department required an account number before I could connect.

Finally, I called my DME back, but I had to leave a message because the respiratory therapist had apparently gone out. I have had excellent service from this DME, so if anyone can get me some results, they will. I am awaiting a return call from them.

And, of course, if it does come down to home-made surgery, I will certainly document here what I did. Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 02:19 PM)JJJ Wrote: Meantime, I called Philips Respironics and discovered that the warranty is two years from the date of the original sale to the DME.
as far as I know the new machine warranty is two years from the date you purchase the machine but not sure if its transferable

1- try unplugging
2- reformat the card
3- replace with a new card

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 03:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-17-2012, 02:19 PM)JJJ Wrote: Meantime, I called Philips Respironics and discovered that the warranty is two years from the date of the original sale to the DME.
as far as I know the new machine warranty is two years from the date you purchase the machine but not sure if its transferable
1- try unplugging
2- reformat the card
3- replace with a new card

I already did all of those things, but it still won't mount any of the three cards that I have.

And I just now discovered that, according to SleepyHead, the date of first use of the machine was September 10, 2010. In other words, it's out of warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, a gently used S9 Autoset is on the way to me from SecondWind. They said it would take four days. Meantime, my old machine still puts out air as before, so I can continue to use it until the S9 arrives. I just won't be able to get any data out of it since its card reader is broken.

And as for repairing it, having discovered that it is definitely out of warranty, I will attempt to take it apart to fix the card reader, but not until after the S9 gets here. In the meantime, I noticed that there is a hatch over the card reader with a slot that looks designed for a screwdriver to pry it up. Sure enough, it pops right out. Unfortunately, while I can now see a little better into the card reader area, it doesn't appear that I can remove the card reader itself without removing more of the housing. Stay tuned for more in the do it yourself APAP repair saga! :grin:

Now I have to download and read the Clinician manual for the S9 Autoset. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JJJ,
Somehow, I thought I saw an S9Autoset in your future, (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha,) CONGRATULATIONS.!
Best of luck on repairing the PRS1's SD card reader and look forward to the saga.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 06:07 PM)JJJ Wrote: Now I have to download and read the Clinician manual for the S9 Autoset. Big Grin
here is the S9 setup videos and Resscan report interpretation guide

http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
Did you try putting the card in the machine then unplugging the machine with the card in then plugging it back and turing it on again?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 07:36 PM)jfmusil Wrote: Did you try putting the card in the machine then unplugging the machine with the card in then plugging it back and turing it on again?

Yep. No matter what I try, if the card is in the machine it beeps, the light flashes continuously, and the display says to remove and reinsert the card.

Once my S9 Autoset gets here so I can destroy the PRS1, if necessary, I will take it apart to see if I can replace the card reader. While I'm in there I'll see if I can figure out other things that I am curious about, e.g., what operating system it is running (I'll bet it is an embedded Linux like Raspberry Pi or something). I'm already planning my attack to see if I can cobble together a connection to a keyboard so I can hack it more thoroughly. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine ArnieSwas 32 4,515 12-27-2022, 11:33 AM
Last Post: ArnieSwas
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 922 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] Ceiling mount hose hanger support? aolamid 11 1,362 06-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  PRS1 Modem Quit Sending Daily Data to Dream Mapper Bubster 2 744 01-13-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,867 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  PRS1 760 Auto BiPAP Humidifier holden4th 3 1,286 03-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.