Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] SD card won't mount in PRS1
RE: SD card won't mount in PRS1
(12-28-2012, 12:41 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The machines from SecondWind do not come with a card. Or at least mine did not either.
JJJ, I did not have any data for the first night. Not sure if I did something wrong or what.
As tough as they are on "no cigarette smoke" on the machines, you'd think they'd do the same for perfumes. Luckily, mine didn't have that stink.

I managed to de-stink it enough to use it last night, and things went reasonably well. It took some fiddling before I finally got it to format the card from my PRS1, but eventually I succeeded. This morning I had data to look at in SleepyHead.

The data looks somewhat different from what I was accustomed to seeing from the PRS1. The graphs are smoother. And last night it reported an AHI of 0.69, with three clear airway events, one obstructive apnea, and two hypopneas. With the PRS1 I practically never saw clear airway apneas, so that is interesting.

The clock is hours off. Gotta fix that before bedtime tonight. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 08:02 PM)JJJ Wrote: I managed to de-stink it enough to use it last night, and things went reasonably well.

JJJ, wondering what did you do to "de-stink" the machine from the perfume smell? Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 10:05 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 08:02 PM)JJJ Wrote: I managed to de-stink it enough to use it last night, and things went reasonably well.
JJJ, wondering what did you do to "de-stink" the machine from the perfume smell?

Vinegar. I've tried other de-stinkers in the past and I usually get the best results from plain vinegar.

Yes, it smelled like vinegar, but vinegar is an honest natural odor that is not offensive to me. And by the morning the vinegar odor was mostly gone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 10:14 PM)JJJ Wrote: Vinegar. I've tried other de-stinkers in the past and I usually get the best results from plain vinegar.
Yes, it smelled like vinegar, but vinegar is an honest natural odor that is not offensive to me. And by the morning the vinegar odor was mostly gone.

So, are you talking vinegar rinse of the hose, humidifier, etc? You didn't actually put any vinegar into the CPAP machine itself, right?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 10:39 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 10:14 PM)JJJ Wrote: Vinegar. I've tried other de-stinkers in the past and I usually get the best results from plain vinegar.

So, are you talking vinegar rinse of the hose, humidifier, etc? You didn't actually put any vinegar into the CPAP machine itself, right?

Right. I just soaked the humidifier tank. The hose was new in a sealed plastic bag and didn't stink. I probably should have soaked the filter too, but I couldn't find it and I was in a hurry. Putting vinegar into the machine itself would probably cause spitzensparken und smokenmaken.

I let the machine sit for a while with the vinegar in the tank, then emptied the tank and replaced with water, without rinsing. I wanted just a hint of the vinegar left in the humidifier water so it would continue to work a bit overnight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 11:37 PM)JJJ Wrote: I let the machine sit for a while with the vinegar in the tank, then emptied the tank and replaced with water, without rinsing. I wanted just a hint of the vinegar left in the humidifier water so it would continue to work a bit overnight.

Ugh!

I drink apple cider vinegar and water for my acid reflux whenever it gets bad, but, the smell of the vinegar is the worst part... When I was a kid, I used to have to leave the house whenever my Grandmother would be pickling, the smell of steamy vinegar was just too overwhelming for me.

I've been told I have a super-sniffer, I seem to smell things a lot of people can't smell, it really kills me to walk into a store in the mall if their perfume display is right in the middle of the entrance, I usually avoid a perfumed entrance and use another if I have to go to a particular store.

Good luck getting the vinegar smell out! Dielaughing

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JJJ, glad you got your S9Autoset.
off topic, a good quality Alo vera liquid works well for acid reflux, too.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 09:13 PM)JJJ Wrote: Once my S9 Autoset gets here so I can destroy the PRS1, if necessary, I will take it apart to see if I can replace the card reader. While I'm in there I'll see if I can figure out other things that I am curious about, e.g., what operating system it is running (I'll bet it is an embedded Linux like Raspberry Pi or something). I'm already planning my attack to see if I can cobble together a connection to a keyboard so I can hack it more thoroughly. Too-funny

It's been a very long time since I posted the above, but today I finally got around to taking the PRS1 apart.

The first step is to remove the humidifier section, because it is unrelated to the card reader problem. Then I removed two screws from underneath the unit which allowed me to take the housing off, although you also have to pull the knob off the top of the unit before you can get the PC board out. With the PC board turned over, but leaving all the wires connected, I could see the SD card reader. It is made by Molex and has a part number on it. Unfortunately, the Molex web site says that the part number is "no longer made or restricted." In other words, it was made just for Respironics and probably not for sale to the public. There are a lot of other SD card reader devices on the Molex web site and I'll bet one could be used to replace the one in my PRS1, even though it is soldered on.

However, that turned out to be unnecessary. Peering down the reader with a bright light and a magnifier I could see that a connector on one side looked like it was pushed down. The connectors are all brass colored and springy, but this one was lying flat. Using a long sewing machine needle I was able to poke the connector back up so it was as high as the others. Afterwards, lo and behold, the SD card mounted and the PRS1 proceeded to reformat it. All is well again and my PRS1 is working as before. My guess is that the connector got pushed down by inserting the card at a slight angle once.

So if the card reader on your PRS1 fails, disassembly is easy and repair may be trivial. I still like my S9 Autoset better than the PRS1, but it's nice to have the PRS1 fully functional as a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2013, 08:08 PM)JJJ Wrote: I still like my S9 Autoset better than the PRS1, ...

At the risk of taking this thread into a tangent, care to elaborate on the above? Just curious about perceived differences.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 03:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-17-2012, 02:19 PM)JJJ Wrote: Meantime, I called Philips Respironics and discovered that the warranty is two years from the date of the original sale to the DME.
as far as I know the new machine warranty is two years from the date you purchase the machine but not sure if its transferable

1- try unplugging
2- reformat the card
3- replace with a new card

I'm learning this machine, I've only had it a few days. In my previous life (pre-cancer) I was a Senior Technician for the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department of one of America's premier Engineering Colleges, and I just had to know....
I wonder (like computers) if your older system has a maximum installed memory limit that you're newer system doesn't have. I have a couple devices that work fine with the original 256Mb SD cards, but not so with larger capacity cards.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 453 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine ArnieSwas 32 4,517 12-27-2022, 11:33 AM
Last Post: ArnieSwas
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 922 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] Ceiling mount hose hanger support? aolamid 11 1,364 06-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  PRS1 Modem Quit Sending Daily Data to Dream Mapper Bubster 2 744 01-13-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,876 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  PRS1 760 Auto BiPAP Humidifier holden4th 3 1,286 03-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.