Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Setting mask type on Resmed Airsense 10
RE: Setting mask type on Resmed Airsense 10
(05-10-2016, 07:43 AM)SleepyTimes Wrote: My question: What difference does the mask setting make (pillows vs nasal) in the setup configuration on a ResMed Airsense 10?

Background:
I am a newbie (less than 30 days) and just switched my mask from the ResMed AirFit P 10 nasal pillow for a Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask. I thought that I should make use of the 30 day trial period to see if less pressure on my nostrils would be a benefit. My one night conclusion is that it seems like a good switch for me.

This morning, I noticed in the Sleepy Head "Machine Settings" that my mask was "Pillows". The excellent resource on apneaboard at: Thread-All-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-ResMed-Airsense-10 shows great information on my machine (how to change the settings at resmed-airsense-10-aircurve-10-setup-info).

I made the configuration switch to "nasal" for the DreamWear -- but am wondering what difference it might make? (I'll report back with any results that I'm able to observe tomorrow).

Thanks!

I'm back with night #2 results. I switched the configuration to "nasal" and did not notice a difference. Of course this may be due entirely to my "non-observation"!

Based on comments here Thanks I'll check the difference between the settings tonight for just a few minutes each. Curious to see if I can detect a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
My 3rd night with a new DreamWear mask. Last night I spent about 10 minutes testing the setting on the AirSense 10 as "nasal" and "pillows". I was a tiny, tiny bit more comfortable with the nasal setting so that is what I used last night. It was very comfortable and I think that it just takes a bit of time to get used to a new mask.

This morning the myAir score would be 100 except for the multiple mask on/off's. The price to pay for testing!

The conclusion on my original question: The mask settings on the AirSense 10 make a difference. Thanks for all of the responses to help me get this far with the question. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I just posted my thoughts on this subject in another thread. I'll post the link below, but I'll summarize here:

1. I agree that the mask type setting is used for the purpose of adjusting pressures up or down to compensate for static pressure loss at the mask, and not to adjust the calculation of leakage.

2. If you have Dreamwear that has the Nasal Cushions, on an Airsense you should probably select the mask type "Nasal." The Airsense will increase the pressure slightly compared to the full setting to accommodate for the greater static pressure loss associated with a Nasal mask.

3. If you have Dreamwear that has the Nasal Pillows, on an Airsense, you should probably select the mask type "Pillows." The Airsense will increase the pressure even more to accommodate for the greater static pressure loss associated with a pillow mask.

Here's a link to my more detailed discussion on the subject:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid227148
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Reznik's Oct 11, 2017 post above, and ResMed customer support confirms it. I am coming off of a ResMed S9 to the Airsense 10 and MyAir reporting capability and I was wondering why the mask-type selection for the DreamWear in the My Air software was in the "Nasal" category. I've tried both settings as well and I find that the "Nasal" setting is more comfortable for me when using my standard DreamWear mask (no pillows ...)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,735 12 minutes ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 410 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 150 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 614 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,605 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,771 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.