Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Setting mask type on Resmed Airsense 10
Setting mask type on Resmed Airsense 10
My question: What difference does the mask setting make (pillows vs nasal) in the setup configuration on a ResMed Airsense 10?

Background:
I am a newbie (less than 30 days) and just switched my mask from the ResMed AirFit P 10 nasal pillow for a Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask. I thought that I should make use of the 30 day trial period to see if less pressure on my nostrils would be a benefit. My one night conclusion is that it seems like a good switch for me.

This morning, I noticed in the Sleepy Head "Machine Settings" that my mask was "Pillows". The excellent resource on apneaboard at: Thread-All-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-ResMed-Airsense-10 shows great information on my machine (how to change the settings at resmed-airsense-10-aircurve-10-setup-info).

I made the configuration switch to "nasal" for the DreamWear -- but am wondering what difference it might make? (I'll report back with any results that I'm able to observe tomorrow).

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting mask type on Resmed Airsense 10
The mask type on ResMed is used by the device to calculate the amount of "intentional" leakage (that leakage from the vent) and subtract that from the total amount of leakage it detects, this way it can display the actual unintentional leakage.

A second use for it is to help in the operation of the Smart Start, so it knows when you have the mask on or off and will automatically start or stop therapy more accurately if the mask type is set correctly.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 07:43 AM)SleepyTimes Wrote: I just switched my mask from the ResMed AirFit P 10 nasal pillow for a Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask . . .
I made the configuration switch to "nasal" for the DreamWear . . .

The DreamWear is a "Pillows" type of mask. A Nasal type mask completely encompasses the the nose area. To a great degree, it looks like a mini Full Face Mask (FFM).

Having played with different mask types and various settings on a Resmed, the only thing I can see in the data is the leak rate and the ability to use the SmartStart feature (and I always thought this was a cereal).

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually there is some disagreement concerning the mask type settings and what they affect. My position is that the unintentional leak rate is calculated without consideration of the mask type. The only purpose for the mask type adjustment is, along with the hose type, to tell the machine what kind of pressure drop to expect between the machine and your face. This allows the machine to more accurately provide the set pressure to you since the pressure measurement is done at the machine. This might have an effect on the Smartstart feature.

I will tell you that I have switched from a nasal pillows mask that I was trying to my full face mask and forgot to change the mask type setting. As soon as I masked up and turned the machine on, I could tell that something was off a little. the transitions from EPAP to IPAP and vice versa were much more abrupt and forceful- made my mask do pushups on my face. As soon as I corrected the mask setting, I got my nice, smooth transitions back.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 07:59 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: The mask type on ResMed is used by the device to calculate the amount of "intentional" leakage (that leakage from the vent) and subtract that from the total amount of leakage it detects, this way it can display the actual unintentional leakage.

there is no actual evidence to support that theory, though it is widely repeated.

if you examine published resmed mask leakage figures, and indeed compare them with other masks, you'll find that most masks are around 20-50lpm @ 4-20cm pressure. small variations, yes, but by and large, the differences are pretty insignificant.

another wrench thrown into that is that in the resmed mask category, you'll find that some masks of the same type have bigger leakage variations within that same type than the variation with other types of masks.

however if you examine the mask resistance stats for masks, you'll find that they generally line up in a increasing order from full face to nasal to pillow.

this supports a theory that mask type is used to compensate for flow resistance in the mask, something that respironics copied with their 'system one resistance' in the 60 series, thus allowing the machine to give a more accurate pressure delivery.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 11:18 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Actually there is some disagreement concerning the mask type settings and what they affect. My position is that the unintentional leak rate is calculated without consideration of the mask type. The only purpose for the mask type adjustment is, along with the hose type, to tell the machine what kind of pressure drop to expect between the machine and your face. This allows the machine to more accurately provide the set pressure to you since the pressure measurement is done at the machine. This might have an effect on the Smartstart feature.

logically, it would be the same as the hose type setting, smaller diameter, or longer hoses have more flow resistance, thus will result in a lower pressure at the mask... which the machine can compensate for if set right.

I was trying out a new machine once, and thought it was broken, it felt like the pressure was much too high.... then I noticed that I'd forgotten to change the hose type from slimline to regular... after setting it properly, the pressure felt normal again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyTimes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 04:29 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi SleepyTimes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thanks for the welcome!
(05-10-2016, 01:35 PM)palerider Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 11:18 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Actually there is some disagreement concerning the mask type settings and what they affect. My position is that the unintentional leak rate is calculated without consideration of the mask type. The only purpose for the mask type adjustment is, along with the hose type, to tell the machine what kind of pressure drop to expect between the machine and your face. This allows the machine to more accurately provide the set pressure to you since the pressure measurement is done at the machine. This might have an effect on the Smartstart feature.

logically, it would be the same as the hose type setting, smaller diameter, or longer hoses have more flow resistance, thus will result in a lower pressure at the mask... which the machine can compensate for if set right.

I was trying out a new machine once, and thought it was broken, it felt like the pressure was much too high.... then I noticed that I'd forgotten to change the hose type from slimline to regular... after setting it properly, the pressure felt normal again.

Thanks for that comment - I noticed the setting for the hose type (mine is set to slimline - but had not thought about the difference it might make).
Post Reply Post Reply

I will tell you that I have switched from a nasal pillows mask that I was trying to my full face mask and forgot to change the mask type setting. As soon as I masked up and turned the machine on, I could tell that something was off a little. the transitions from EPAP to IPAP and vice versa were much more abrupt and forceful- made my mask do pushups on my face. As soon as I corrected the mask setting, I got my nice, smooth transitions back.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Thanks for the comment about the mask setting. I did not notice any difference between the two settings (nasal or pillows) for use of Dreamwear over 2 nights. But your comment makes me think that I should do a quick test before I sleep tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 08:17 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 07:43 AM)SleepyTimes Wrote: I just switched my mask from the ResMed AirFit P 10 nasal pillow for a Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask . . .
I made the configuration switch to "nasal" for the DreamWear . . .

The DreamWear is a "Pillows" type of mask. A Nasal type mask completely encompasses the the nose area. To a great degree, it looks like a mini Full Face Mask (FFM).

Having played with different mask types and various settings on a Resmed, the only thing I can see in the data is the leak rate and the ability to use the SmartStart feature (and I always thought this was a cereal).

I hope this may help.

Thanks for your comment about the DreamWear as a "Pillows" type mask. I made the setting change yesterday to "nasal" based on looking at the Philips website and their classification. But now I see several references to this mask as a hybrid between pillows and nasal (and certainly not the fuller coverage of many nasal masks). My experiment tonight will be to test both settings on the machine, back to back. My 2 night experiment at each setting didn't result in any noticeable difference to me.

(05-10-2016, 07:59 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: The mask type on ResMed is used by the device to calculate the amount of "intentional" leakage (that leakage from the vent) and subtract that from the total amount of leakage it detects, this way it can display the actual unintentional leakage.

A second use for it is to help in the operation of the Smart Start, so it knows when you have the mask on or off and will automatically start or stop therapy more accurately if the mask type is set correctly.

Thanks for your comment! I also appreciate your statement about Smart Start ... I guess I'll have to actually read the manual more carefully, I wasn't aware of that feature before your explanation!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,805 3 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 418 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 616 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,801 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.