[Equipment] Setting up 12VDC BiPap Auto to be the same as 24VCD Resmed A10 for camping use?
pupcamper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

Sex: Male

RE: Setting up 12VDC BiPap Auto to be the same as 24VCD Resmed A10 for camping use?
(06-09-2016 12:17 PM)green wings Wrote:  Hi verbatim1 et al.

I have a Philips Respironics CPAP machine, and I have never been entirely clear about what the "SYSTEM" setting does. I had this vague idea that it tells the machine how much vent in l/m to expect from the mask.

I just read your post, though, so I got out the user manual (!) for my machine to check. It describes the SYSTEM ONE resistance setting as follows: "This setting allows you to adjust the level of air pressure relief based on the specific Philips Respironics mask."

Now I'm really confused! Does that mean that the machine changes the treatment inhale and exhale pressures slightly?

I started off with a PR mask with an X1 rating (Wisp). Now I have Resmed AirFit P10 nasal pillows. I changed the setting to X2. Should I set it at "0"? Does it even matter? Oh-jeez

(06-08-2016 11:23 PM)verbatim1 Wrote:  - SYSTEM = 0 <---------- I'm not using any of the Philips X1, X2, X3, X4, or X5 masks so this is set to 0

The PR Nuance Pro I was using uses a setting of X2 for all sizes of pillows. I kept that setting when I started using a P10. It seems to work the same as the Nuance.

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
06-09-2016 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Setting up 12VDC BiPap Auto to be the same as 24VCD Resmed A10 for camping use?
Yes, there was a big "X2" on the packaging insert for the Nuance Pro Gel mask and an "X1" for the Wisp mask.

I have a fixed-pressure CPAP machine. Both your machines are auto-adjusting CPAP machines. You can change the pressures as often as you like. I can change the pressure on my machine as often as I like, so long as it's in fixed CPAP mode.

Besides only supplying a fixed pressure, my machine also does not score flow limitations or snoring - unless I have it in auto-trial mode. My understanding is that the machine is exactly the same as an auto-adjusting machine except for its software.

When I go into the Clinician's Menu on my machine, there is an option for "Auto-Trial" that allows me to run my machine in auto-adjusting mode for up to 30 days. When the number of days the machine has run in auto mode reaches 30, the function is disabled.

I just discovered today that PR has added an option to reset the auto trial mode. There is a value called "Reset" in my Auto-Trial menu that has a value of 5. When my 30 days runs out, I can reset the auto-trial mode days to 0/30, and I can do that 5 times. (Very convoluted, huh?)

I didn't discover this forum until 2+ months after I got my CPAP machine, or I would have gone with a different DME and asked for a ResMed auto adjusting machine.

(06-09-2016 04:13 PM)verbatim1 Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 01:48 PM)green wings Wrote:  the PR nasal pillows masks seem to use an X2 setting, so I used that.
At the moment I have a ResMed and Philips Respironics with a Fisher & Paykal standard nasal mask.

Nobody told me anything about these X# settings when I got the machines, so, may I ask how you know what the X# setting is for the "PR nasal pillow" masks?

Does it say what X# is takes on the original package?

(06-09-2016 01:48 PM)green wings Wrote:  It does sound like a marketing gimmick. I'm appalled and disgusted. Smile
I'm less than a month into CPAP, but, even now, it's looking like 90% of the terminology here is all marketing gimmickry.

(06-09-2016 01:48 PM)green wings Wrote:  An excellent result of my looking at the user manual was that I found a loose sheet that said "Remove before giving manual to client" that explained that the auto-trial mode on my CPAP machine can now be reset 5 times after the 30 days runs out, giving me 180 days to play around with my settings rather than just 30. like

Huh? I have two machines, the Resmed A10 and the Philips Respironics 750P and I was under the impression I can change the settings as many times as I like.

Is there a hidden limit somewhere?
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 07:24 PM by green wings.)
06-09-2016 07:20 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-09-2016 01:20 PM)verbatim1 Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 01:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  What you can do is find a Respironics mask that's similar to yours and use that mask's resistance setting. When I was using a PRS1 machine I just left the resistance setting off and adjusted the pressure to suit my needs.
This is a great idea, for those with access to multiple masks.
I don't know how anyone would have masks lying about though.

You took me literally! What I mean is find a mask description for a mask that's similar to yours. For example, Supplier #1 website is good place to look at masks. Er... I mean, look at descriptions, pictures of, and specifications for masks. Smile

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-09-2016 09:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-09-2016 01:09 PM)verbatim1 Wrote:  Yet, on *other* models (e.g., the 760P), you CAN see and change the minimum pressure support! (So you were right!).

Hmmm... I wasn't aware that there was any difference between the 50 and 60 Series machines other than the option for a heated hose. There are firmware revisions, though, so ...

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-09-2016 09:52 PM
verbatim1 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Remstar Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson Nasak Mask SL-Large for CPAP or bi-level venti
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 10 to 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(06-09-2016 09:49 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  look at descriptions, pictures of, and specifications for masks. Smile

Thanks for the clarification!

To me, a mask is hard to come by, so, I appreciate that you found the X# designation from a web site.

Thanks!
06-10-2016 12:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] respironics bipap error code hanasdaddy 6 131 12-07-2016 01:48 AM
Last Post: hanasdaddy
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,336 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 579 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] what setting for mask airsense 10 abrun7 1 180 11-17-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 670 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 303 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question BiPAP vs EPR/Flex etc? SleepyBee 7 276 11-13-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: Galactus