Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Setting up 12VDC BiPap Auto to be the same as 24VCD Resmed A10 for camping use?
RE: Setting up 12VDC BiPap Auto to be the same as 24VCD Resmed A10 for camping use?
The good news is that the therapeutic settings on the camping standard-power-supply Philips Respironics seem to be matching that of the non-standard Kaiser-set-up ResMed, as shown by the results from last night below...

[Image: ley28G.gif]

Thanks for all your help and advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting up 12VDC BiPap Auto to be the same as 24VCD Resmed A10 for camping use?
I forgot to mention that I had to modify the settings on the camping Philips 750P to achieve the results above because some of the math earlier in this thread was wrong.

The corrected math is shown below, which more closely matches the ResMed setup on the Philips Respironics 750P.

Specifically, previously we were adding the 7cm of water for the minimum EPAP to the maximum pressure support of 3cm of water - but that's apparently the wrong math.

Apparently the correct math is to use a minimum EPAP of 8cm water and then add the hard coded minimum pressure support of 2cm of water for the 750P, so that gives us our 8 + 2 cm of water (not the 7 + 3 previously suggested).

Here are the new improved settings:
- Mode = Auto
- Max IPAP = 20.0
- Min EPAP = 8.0 <---------- i.e., 8 + 2 (where the 2 is hidden) = 10 cm water
- Max PS = 3.0 <---------- the lowest it will go (bearing in mind the default Min pressure support is 2 for the 750P)
- Flex Type = None <---------- I turned Bi-Flex off where BiFlex handles timing of the inhale/exhale depending on how you breathe)
- Rise Time = 0 <---------- appears when flex type is none in order to set in/out timing
- SYSTEM = 0 <---------- I'm not using any of the Philips X1, X2, X3, X4, or X5 masks so this is set to 0
- LOCK SYS = off
- Ramp Time = 0:10 <---------- only works when you press the ramp button (which I don't need)
- Ramp Start = 7.0 <---------- this dropped from 7.5 to 7.0 when I set flex type to none (but it only matters if I hit the ramp button)
- Auto on = on
- Auto off = on
- Mask alert = on
- Humidifier = off
- Show AHI = on
- Split night = off

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi verbatim1 et al.

I have a Philips Respironics CPAP machine, and I have never been entirely clear about what the "SYSTEM" setting does. I had this vague idea that it tells the machine how much vent in l/m to expect from the mask.

I just read your post, though, so I got out the user manual (!) for my machine to check. It describes the SYSTEM ONE resistance setting as follows: "This setting allows you to adjust the level of air pressure relief based on the specific Philips Respironics mask."

Now I'm really confused! Does that mean that the machine changes the treatment inhale and exhale pressures slightly?

I started off with a PR mask with an X1 rating (Wisp). Now I have Resmed AirFit P10 nasal pillows. I changed the setting to X2. Should I set it at "0"? Does it even matter? Oh-jeez

(06-08-2016, 11:23 PM)verbatim1 Wrote: - SYSTEM = 0 <---------- I'm not using any of the Philips X1, X2, X3, X4, or X5 masks so this is set to 0

Post Reply Post Reply
One unanticipated problem I'm running into is that I was "sharing" the SD card between the three machines:
1. Philips Respironics non-Bi-pap loaner machine from Kaiser
2. Resmed A10 machine set up by Kaiser
3. Philips Respironics Bi-Pap borrowed machine from my friend

And the SleepyHead software was getting confused between the three machines all on a single card.

I guess I'll take it offline, but that brings up two questions:
A. How do you "format" these SD cards best for cpap use?
B. How do you organize the card to use among different machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2016, 11:23 PM)verbatim1 Wrote: - Max PS = 3.0 <---------- the lowest it will go (bearing in mind the default Min pressure support is 2 for the 750P)

Ahhh... I knew the PS was variable!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2016, 12:17 PM)green wings Wrote: I started off with a PR mask with an X1 rating (Wisp). Now I have Resmed AirFit P10 nasal pillows. I changed the setting to X2. Should I set it at "0"? Does it even matter?

As you increase the System One resistance setting you lower the pressure slightly. I don't know how much but I think it's a fraction of a centimeter of H2O.

What you can do is find a Respironics mask that's similar to yours and use that mask's resistance setting. When I was using a PRS1 machine I just left the resistance setting off and adjusted the pressure to suit my needs. It's largely a marketing scheme to get PRS1 users to use Respironics masks, I think.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2016, 12:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 11:23 PM)verbatim1 Wrote: - Max PS = 3.0 <---------- the lowest it will go (bearing in mind the default Min pressure support is 2 for the 750P)

Ahhh... I knew the PS was variable!

Thank you for all your wonderful help!

You were right all along (e.g., on the 760P, I'm told you *can* set the minimum pressure support - just as you said).

The 7+3 didn't make sense to me initially, so, when I dug further into it, I found out that the 750P is different than some of the other Respironics models in that it doesn't "show" the minimum pressure support, nor does it allow us to change the minimum pressure support.

Yet, on *other* models (e.g., the 760P), you CAN see and change the minimum pressure support! (So you were right!).

What that means to me is that all "my" calculations on the 750P simply need to assume the minimum pressure support will be set to 2.0 cm of water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2016, 01:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote: As you increase the System One resistance setting you lower the pressure slightly. I don't know how much but I think it's a fraction of a centimeter of water

Thank you very much for explaining that, as I couldn't for the life of me figure out WHAT the SYSTEM setting did, when I tested it out a few times and felt nothing different.

(06-09-2016, 01:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote: What you can do is find a Respironics mask that's similar to yours and use that mask's resistance setting. When I was using a PRS1 machine I just left the resistance setting off and adjusted the pressure to suit my needs.
This is a great idea, for those with access to multiple masks.
I don't know how anyone would have masks lying about though.
Smile

(06-09-2016, 01:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It's largely a marketing scheme to get PRS1 users to use Respironics masks, I think.

I'm going to agree with you.

In fact, it seems like a LOT of the settings on that machine are really marketing "fluff".

What seems most important, to me anyway, are these three settings:
- Mode = Auto <---------- i.e., it will give me anything I need between 10 and 20 cm of water
- Max IPAP = 20.0 <---------- i.e., the max it will give me is 20cm IPAP
- Min EPAP = 8.0 <---------- i.e., 8 + 2 (where the 2 is hidden) = 10 cm water

Is that correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepster. That's what I did - the PR nasal pillows masks seem to use an X2 setting, so I used that. (I had a Nuance Pro gel nasal pillow mask for 3 days then swapped it for the P10.) A fraction of a centimeter, though? It does sound like a marketing gimmick. I'm appalled and disgusted. Smile

An excellent result of my looking at the user manual was that I found a loose sheet that said "Remove before giving manual to client" that explained that the auto-trial mode on my CPAP machine can now be reset 5 times after the 30 days runs out, giving me 180 days to play around with my settings rather than just 30. like

(06-09-2016, 01:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-09-2016, 12:17 PM)green wings Wrote: I started off with a PR mask with an X1 rating (Wisp). Now I have Resmed AirFit P10 nasal pillows. I changed the setting to X2. Should I set it at "0"? Does it even matter?

As you increase the System One resistance setting you lower the pressure slightly. I don't know how much but I think it's a fraction of a centimeter of H2O.

What you can do is find a Respironics mask that's similar to yours and use that mask's resistance setting. When I was using a PRS1 machine I just left the resistance setting off and adjusted the pressure to suit my needs. It's largely a marketing scheme to get PRS1 users to use Respironics masks, I think.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2016, 01:48 PM)green wings Wrote: the PR nasal pillows masks seem to use an X2 setting, so I used that.
At the moment I have a ResMed and Philips Respironics with a Fisher & Paykal standard nasal mask.

Nobody told me anything about these X# settings when I got the machines, so, may I ask how you know what the X# setting is for the "PR nasal pillow" masks?

Does it say what X# is takes on the original package?

(06-09-2016, 01:48 PM)green wings Wrote: It does sound like a marketing gimmick. I'm appalled and disgusted. Smile
I'm less than a month into CPAP, but, even now, it's looking like 90% of the terminology here is all marketing gimmickry.

(06-09-2016, 01:48 PM)green wings Wrote: An excellent result of my looking at the user manual was that I found a loose sheet that said "Remove before giving manual to client" that explained that the auto-trial mode on my CPAP machine can now be reset 5 times after the 30 days runs out, giving me 180 days to play around with my settings rather than just 30. like

Huh? I have two machines, the Resmed A10 and the Philips Respironics 750P and I was under the impression I can change the settings as many times as I like.

Is there a hidden limit somewhere?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 153 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 188 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 627 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.