Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Should I try the Resmed F30 FFM?
RE: Should I try the Resmed F30 FFM?
I'll agree that the cushions last a long time. I have used the F30 since it came out and I might have gotten nearly a year from a cushion.

I looked at the F30i and I did not like the lack of adjustment in the upward direction ( the strap that goes on top of your head). The F30 has 3 adjustable straps and the F30i only has 2. 

Also if it does leak the air wont blow in your eyes like a regular full face mask. With a regular full face mask many of my leaks came from the bridge of my nose.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
OK. I got the F30 mask and got both the small and medium cushions. Glad I did because the sizing gauge is just about useless. Tried both and the medium fits best.

Now for the results. 
1. It eliminated the mouth leaks.
2. It greatly reduced the dry mouth.
3. It’s just as comfortable as the pillows mask.
4. Now I have to deal with mask leaks.
5. But on the positive side, my adjustments and beard trimmings have gotten mask leaks under control. 
6. Here’s the problem. ?

My AHI skyrocketed. From a median of .3 (mostly CA’s) to 10+ (mostly OA’s).
I have tried higher pressures and different EPR settings. One thing that might make a difference is a collar. I did not use a collar with the P10 but the few times I used the collar with F30, the results were very reasonable. I will post a screen shot of my most recent day with a collar. 

Question: Does a FFM require an entirely different pressure setup? OR Do I simply have to readjust to the new mask?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Zoom in on a few of those Obstructive clusters a two minute period so we can see what the flow looks like
Post Reply Post Reply
    Is this what you are looking for?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe it won't make a bit of difference, but did you change the mask type on the PAP? There's definitely a flow issue it seems. The Flow Rate trace line is showing maybe a limitation or some other flow pattern disturbance and then an OA flag several times.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, change to setting on your machine from nasal pillows to full face mask. that should increase the flow.

That said I've forgotten to do this on occasion and didn't really notice much if anything...

I use the F30 and it's really the best mask for me right now. I use it in conjunction with a neck collar. My leaks are usually very low and my AHI is typically below 1. I have a goatee.

I tried the neck collar with a P10 nasal pillow mask. It helps but I still get mouth leaks. However, my AHI reports very low on the Resmed My Air site (I don't have Oscar). I don't believe it. It was explained to me once why large mouth leaks can mess with reported AHI, but I forget now the reason behind it.

So I stay with very low leaks and AHI with the F30 over the P10. I'm mostly a back sleeper with some side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll throw a curveball out there, and share my experience... in case it helps you.

I loved the P10, but eventually couldn't keep my mouth closed. So I looked into FFMs, and I actually did try the F30. I ended up preferring the F20 due to the memory foam option - it seals the best on me, of all FFMs.

What's interesting to me is that I had venting problems with the F20 and F30. They use the same venting elbow, so it makes sense. They don't vent enough air for me personally, which resulted in a return of my OSA symptoms (and other side effects). I also realized this was the same problem I had with the P10 - the super quiet vent just doesn't vent enough of my exhaled air.

So consider that the problem may be the mask, not you.

I tried to resolve this by using the oooooooold model of venting elbow for the F20/F30, which is not at all quiet but vents really well. The stream of vented air kept me awake throughout the night. So then I decided to revisit the P10, but to take matters into my own hands... and I used a sewing pin to poke several holes in the mesh of the P10 vents. My P10 modification has been so successful for me, I'm finally getting restful and restorative sleep again!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.