Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Silent Nite and UARS
Silent Nite and UARS
So I had a sleep study done back in July and that resulted in
Sleep Efficiency 93.4%
46 Abnormal Breathing events with 29 arousals
15 RERAs
Longest Event 19.3 Seconds
Apnea/hypopnea index 4.4
Apnea/hypopnea/RERA index 6.5
5 O2 levels below 90% with the lowest being 80% (I was 99% on room area during my initial visit)
Average HR 60.5 With highest being 109.0
with moderate snoring. my hubby never knew that I snored. but he sleeps like the dead burried 20 feet under.

I should note I was diagnosed with Upper Airway Resistance Sydrome, not sleep apnea, yet.

got sent to an ENT
ENT found my pallet and tonsils to both be oversized (not swollen) and recommended an oral appliance.
I FINALLY had the impressions taken yesterday and am going back on the 29th to make sure it fits and get tolf how to use it and such. (my dentist uses the silent night ones)

So other than the getting used to it which is gonna take some time, how soon should I expect to start to feel rested again?

I am a 21 year old female about 15 pounds overweight.
My dad has sleep apnea really bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Silent Nite and UARS
Personally, I cannot have things inside my mouth, makes me choke

Here is an interesting article "Flow Limitation and UARS" by Barry Krakow MD
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-BiPAP

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if I'll have that issue yet, i never wore a mouth guard for sports and getting my teeth molded sucked, but that was mainly because I could taste the plaster or what ever they were using to mold my teeth.

I really hope this works. I'd would give my left kidney right now if it meant my airway would behave for the rest of my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respiratory disturbance index (RDI) http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=RDI
RDI = (RERAs + Hypopneas + apneas) / TST (in hours). That is, RDI means the average number of episodes of apnea, hypopnea, and respiratory event-related arousal per hour of sleep. (TST is "total sleep time".)

From http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/29...fferential
AASM diagnostic criteria for OSA

According to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services criteria for the positive diagnosis and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea,[32] a positive test for OSA is established if either of the following criteria using the AHI or the RDI is met:
AHI or RDI greater than or equal to 15 events per hour

or

AHI or RDI greater than or equal to 5 and less than or equal to 14 events per hour with documented symptoms of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS); impaired cognition; mood disorders; insomnia; or documented hypertension, ischemic heart disease, or history of stroke
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SanditheTortie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't worn a mouth guard so I'm unable to help you with that but, hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2014, 10:55 PM)SanditheTortie Wrote: I really hope this works. I'd would give my left kidney right now if it meant my airway would behave for the rest of my life.

I sincerely wish you good luck with the Oral Appliance device.

In searching for info about the Silent Nite device, I found the following thread by a Silent Nite user that found that Silent Nite reduced her snoring and at first thought it was adequate to avoid CPAP therapy but later found she needed CPAP and was sad to have spent the money for the cheap Silent Nite device.

Cheap meaning relatively economical (around US$500, I think, which for an Oral Appliance is about a quarter the cost of some models but apparently allows only coarse adjustments) AND not very durable (lasts perhaps a year or two).

http://www.asaa.org/my-experience-with-s...30266.html

If the link doesn't work for you, I suggest copying and pasting the following into a google search bar:
my-experience-with-silent-nite-sl-t30266.html

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I should note I'm currently on Active duty so I am paying $0 for the silent nite and I will be becoming a dependent spouse next month (my hubby is active duty as well) so I shouldn't have to pay for anything since if this doesn't work I'm pretty sure my ENT could argue that I do need CPAP. And then insurance would cover that in full.

Tricare is truely amazing when you need "expensive" treatment. Even it means having to jump through a lot of hoops and follow a lot of rules. No copay or cost per year is for sure worth it.

And if insurance won't pay for the CPAP for whatever reason, but they will apt for the surgery that won't cost me a dime either.
Post Reply Post Reply
****UPDATE****

I got a call today and my silent nite came in early and I get to go tomorrow to make sure it fits right Big Grin Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck, hope it helps you. Let us all know, we always want to know, inquiring minds (nosy people) and all that!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2014, 04:37 PM)SanditheTortie Wrote: ****UPDATE****

I got a call today and my silent nite came in early and I get to go tomorrow to make sure it fits right Big Grin Big Grin
Please let us know whether the oral device worked for you.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 75 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 962 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.