Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Silicon Material used for masks
Silicon Material used for masks
Maybe this is so overly straightforward I'm over thinking it. Today while was in the ER, they has an Sp02 sensor on my finger lined in silicone on the inside.

It's way more "tacky" and was thinking, why don't masks use this type of silicone. It would hug your face better and be less likely to leak.

Is it cost? Longevity? Profit of using a different grade?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Silicon Material used for masks
My silicone cushion on the Fisher and Paykel Vitera seems somewhat tacky when cleaned and dried. Might just be my perception. I do know that if adjusted correct, the Vitera will seal quite well for me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The cushions for my F20 full face mask also feel slightly tacky when clean. They need to be cleaned daily with mild detergent because skin oils make them slightly slippery.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 10:25 PM)Melman Wrote: The cushions for my F20 full face mask also feel slightly tacky when clean. They need to be cleaned daily with mild detergent because skin oils make them slightly slippery.

It does for a few washes but loses it after a few cleanings. Whatever silicone was used for the finger clip was flimsy but almost similar to those old sticky hands many had as a kid. I'm sure it could be formulated to be more rigid. 

I just think it would seal better. The F20 specifically (my preferred mask) turns into a hovercraft and leaks if I'm on my back no matter how I adjust it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having used a few ResMed nasal cushion and pillow masks, it wasn’t until I switched to Fisher & Paykel Evora and Brevida that I felt the difference in the silicone. Although I now use Bleep, I will use the Evora or Brevida when I take an occasional nap. Decent seal, soft, comfortable and most of all…quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 152 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,733 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 513 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 441 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 520 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 522 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 450 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.