Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Simplus FF possible alternative?
Simplus FF possible alternative?
I've been using the Simplus Full face for about 2 months. I am a side sleeper, if I happen to be on my back No problems, if I move to my side I get a couple of problems.
1st is the noise. Unless I fold my pillow back and under my cheekbone so my face is hanging off the edge, I hear a hiss constantly like my steam radiators are on full. Its from the exit of the air from the nose holes hitting off the pillow ( I like a firm flat pillow maybe 6" thick, not fluffy), if I could just do this once a night it might be fine but I constantly move side to side all night ( and suprise to me, the hose is never an issue).
 The 2nd problem is small air leaks. I have the 3 mask sizes, I switch between them and the medium works best  but with the small and medium when the mask rises up just a couple MM, which it does alot,  I get air leaks in to the eyes, I know I've read people suggest a chin strap but I also Drool alot and have to do finger swipes under the bottom of the mask for uhh cleaning purposes throughout the night.  A problem with the large and medium mask I have is if I dont have my head turned slightly toward the ceiling, the pillow has just enough push to slide the mask to air leak from the side.

SOO the question is..  Is there a better brand/style mask that might not have these issues? maybe exhaust differently? better fit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Simplus FF possible alternative?
The Simplus and its successor, the Vitera, like to be positioned lower than you would think. Having the upper straps too tight will cause leaking around the eye area as well. You should have the vertical mask support about a thumb to a 2-finger width away from the bridge of your nose. The mask's seal has enough travel to easily allow for this.

I've found that the hose and its swivel will locate in front of the vent ports when I turn on your side. This will magnify the sound of the air being exhausted. If I rotate the hose away from this area will quiet it down considerably.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Simplus and also the newer Vitera. These masks need to ride lower on your face than other similar masks. Both are unrestricted vents so it's not going to change between these 2.

I change sleep positions fairly frequent and the Vitera handles it very well. The Simplus seems to be fine as well. I'm guessing you'll need to go over fitting and how you adjust the mask.

Go with full therapy pressure during this adjusting session. Why adjust for pressures your mask is not going to encounter. This following adjustment should be OK for both Simplus and Vitera.

Lie back on your bed and hold the mask in position, no straps yet, just hold it there with your fingers, adjust tension as necessary to minimize leaks, add straps that are loose, lower strap first adding light tension similar to finger tension, 2nd is upper face straps again light tension similar to finger tension, 3rd top of head elevation strap loosen it and lightly pull mask off your face but still strapped, lower it to where it is sealing your lower chin area at about 3/4 to 1 inch away from breaking seal, re-settle onto face, fasten top of head strap, then wiggle mask to test seal.

DO NOT make it tight. This mask with RollFit must be loose or it leaks.

If you encounter nasal bridge leaks, lift mask off a bit and re-settle further down the face.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for both the replies and suggestions. I have readjusted the straps as you suggested although I dont think I had them too tight ( A lesson learned from scuba diving masks also, but there you get a leak in not out) - I also researched the Vitera some, it sounds like it takes the moving and rolling better so if Im not to successful with this one maybe I'll give that a try.

Oh yeah- 1 more quick question, the "ball"/piviot area for the hose seems slightly binding at times, would it be ok to add a 1/2 drop of vegtable oil or other lubricant?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try the vegetable oil. I wasn't successful using it, just had a craving for french fries. The Vitera's design seems to have addressed the Simplus's shortcomings in this area.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not considered oil, so I can't advise one way or the other. I would think oil may gum the works. I'd maybe just work with it to attempt a breaking in.

On the other hand, maybe it'll make the mask smell like deep fried food, enhancing dreams of French fries.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for all the tips of adjustment. 
Since 2 days i noticed in my Simplus FF a whistling sound coming out of the small exhaust holes in front of the mask. 
This is not a sound like a leakage. If i cover my thump over it to block the air flow it will disappear  but in a short while
start again. No way to sleep. Any ideas around here and thanks in advance. Yours phili
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 1 65 4 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 520 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 201 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 431 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 565 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  [Equipment] DreamStation Alternative Replacement Option oneeyeopen 3 701 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: oneeyeopen
  [Equipment] How do I get ResMed headgear off of F&P Simplus mask to clean? LordHelmet 3 647 12-24-2022, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LordHelmet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.