Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Slime in the CPAP machine!
Slime in the CPAP machine!
I've been complaining about CPAP odor for just about as long as I've been using a CPAP machine. I thought I had discovered that the source was my tap water because when I switched to distilled water the odor went away. But now it's back again.

My humidifier tank builds up a slippery layer of slime on the inside surfaces, every surface that's in contact with the water builds up a layer a slime. And it's this slime that's causing the odor.

I sprayed it with clorox clean-up, let it soak for a few minutes, then washed it in warm soapy water. No more slime and hopefully no more odor!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Slime in the CPAP machine!
I've always used tap water and never seen any builds ups
maybe you live by the ocean and some seaweed got into the tank Too-funny

anyway keeping fingers crossed

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like more frequent cleaning will solve the issue. Looks like you already found the solution!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2012, 07:46 PM)Sleepster Wrote: My humidifier tank builds up a slippery layer of slime on the inside surfaces, every surface that's in contact with the water builds up a layer a slime. And it's this slime that's causing the odor.

Sleepster,

Are you dumping the water every day and letting the humidifier tank dry completely?

I just soak my tank weekly with soapy water in my dedicated CPAP cleaning bowl with my mask parts and hose, I've never had any slime build-up but I've always used distilled water. Now the bath tub is a different story! Dielaughing

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
I use only distilled water, since you can hammer nails with the hard water here.
I dump mine out everyday, dry it and periodically give it the vinegar treatment.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
After using the machine for a while (been on one for 6 yrs now) I ran out of distilled water and started to use boiled water and that worked fine but as soon as I got lazy, used tap water and didn't clean the machine for a week, I had...the slime build up. So Clean Often and use Distilled Water IMHO. However if you have a heated system and the tank has a warmer plate make sure that the surface has not lost it's coating which will make it really quite not nice. The only way to solve that issue is to replace the tank. ( I have an old brick like machine so you may not have these issues)
Just a little experience talking.
SPOG
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2012, 01:32 AM)TheWerkz Wrote: Are you dumping the water every day and letting the humidifier tank dry completely?

No. Is that my mistake? It stays wet all the time. I top it off when necessary, but dump it out at least once a week.

I used to clean it about once a week, but stopped doing that a few weeks ago when I switched to distilled water and a new tank

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on where you live, crap can start growing in your stagnant water within 24 hrs.
Some of the things are harmless, some aren't. Read up on Legionaire's disease.

Legionnaires' disease, and Pontiac fever (caused by the same bacterium)
35 to 46 °C (95 to 115 °F): = Ideal growth range
Check the temps of your humidifier and I bet you'll be in that range.

Dump it out daily, and do the vinegar bit just to stay on the safe side! Bug-eyed

For the scary details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionaire%27s_disease

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2012, 02:25 PM)Sleepster Wrote: ... I top it off when necessary, but dump it out at least once a week.

I used to clean it about once a week, but stopped doing that a few weeks ago when I switched to distilled water and a new tank

Sleepster, you must not be living right. Bigwink

In all my years of using a CPAP humidifier, I've never had this kind of problem. I always use distilled water when I'm home; traveling - I'll use whatever I can easily get (be it tap water, bottle water, or distilled). I usually clean my house-cpap's tank once a week and let it air dry. The travel machine is usually dry when I wake up; and I clean the tank whenever I get home from a trip.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I dump mine before going to bed, rinse it out, give it a shake, dump, and refill with water from the tap. Every once in a while, I soak it in a vinegar solution but that's it. I am very lazy.

In the winter, all of the water is gone by morning anyway (and I get rudely awakened by that gawd awful burnt smell).

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,436 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 155 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 191 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 405 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 856 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 271 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.