Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Slime in the CPAP machine!
(01-04-2013 10:20 AM)hunningsedaniel Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 09:34 AM)Allen Wrote:  Both local supermarkets I go to only have deionised water, neither of them sell distilled water

Even though your tank says distilled water, there is no reason that you cannot use deionised water. it is more pure than distilled water and you will get the same humid effect from it. It might even lengthen the time between tank cleanings.AgreedThumbs-up-2AmazingGood-workGreat-info

No. "Deionized" water isn't necessarily cleaner than distilled water. It might not even be safe to drink.

Deionized water has had ionic contaminants like minerals removed, but the non-ionic contaminants aren't necessarily removed. Think of it as having the minerals and salt removed, but not the other stuff. In particular, organic contaminants that might provide food for germs may not be removed. For that matter, it may not be processed to remove or kill bacteria, viruses, and other germs.

There is also some deionized water that is not intended for human consumption. Sometimes, water is deionized by chemical treatment, and there might be some residue left behind.

Just because it's good for steam irons or car batteries doesn't mean it's safe to drink or inhale.

Of course, you could make good drinking water with deionization as part of the process. If it's sold in grocery stores as drinking water, it's probably OK, but not necessarily as good as distilled.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-04-2013 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

There is chemically pure water, but you wont want to use it. Too expensive. It is made by combining hydrogen and oxygen in proper proportions and igniting them.
Even then water is such a good solvent that it will contain some glass molecules and other stuff from the vessel that holds it.

Yet another fascinating but useless piece of triva!

:grin:

If you are really determined you can get the glassware from a lab supply house, construct an evaporator and distill your own water!

That wont be cheap either though.

Tongue
01-05-2013 09:20 AM
Allen Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX with SeaTec chin strap
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8.0 to 18.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

My S9 came with the new 2 piece design non dishwasher safe water tub and because of the lack of readily available distilled water, I did research alternatives and started using deionized water for the first 2 months. I then changed to tap water to see if it made any difference, so far I haven't noticed any staining or build up in my tub and it is now about 7 weeks since I changed to tap water.
Every morning I tip out the remaining water and then open the tub and rinse both pieces and leave them all day to dry, once a week I soak them with my hose in Citris II solution.

I have a dishwasher safe tub as well which I haven't used, but as has been metioned previously by another member, it doesn't have stamped anywhere on it 'Distilled water only'
01-05-2013 06:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SEVET Offline

Members

Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT and ResMed Swift LT
Humidifier: Philips
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP start nov. 15 2012

I have read on several places on the forum trying to find something about the concentration of the vinegar you use for cleaning tanks.
In Sweden we can buy vinegar in 24% concentration, but I think it must be too strong for use in cleaning the tank.
I need some info. about what you are using and what type of vinegar you use.
Thanks
01-06-2013 04:04 AM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
CPAP Pressure: 7-14

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(01-06-2013 04:04 AM)SEVET Wrote:  I have read on several places on the forum trying to find something about the concentration of the vinegar you use for cleaning tanks.
In Sweden we can buy vinegar in 24% concentration, but I think it must be too strong for use in cleaning the tank.
I need some info. about what you are using and what type of vinegar you use.

I've used "standard" white vinegar, 5%.
01-06-2013 10:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SEVET Offline

Members

Machine: Philips Respironics REMstar Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT and ResMed Swift LT
Humidifier: Philips
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments: CPAP start nov. 15 2012

Thanks for info.
01-06-2013 12:11 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

The ratio is to be one part vinegar to 3-5 water. I saw at another forum that someone was saying it was to be 50/50. I don't want to inhale pickles all night.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-06-2013 04:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Resmed say the ratio 1 part vinegar and 10 of water (do wash and rinse well after the vinegary bath)
but for salad dressing equal parts and substitute water with olive oil Too-funny
01-06-2013 04:30 PM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
CPAP Pressure: 7-14

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(01-05-2013 09:20 AM)Shastzi Wrote:  There is chemically pure water, but you wont want to use it. Too expensive. It is made by combining hydrogen and oxygen in proper proportions and igniting them.
Even then water is such a good solvent that it will contain some glass molecules and other stuff from the vessel that holds it.

Yet another fascinating but useless piece of triva!

:grin:

If you are really determined you can get the glassware from a lab supply house, construct an evaporator and distill your own water!

And have the feds banging on your door accusing you of making moonshine. Be careful.
01-06-2013 05:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(01-06-2013 04:30 PM)zonk Wrote:  Resmed say the ratio 1 part vinegar and 10 of water (do wash and rinse well after the vinegary bath)

If mineral deposits are thick because using tap water and not cleaning regularly, can use 50% vinegar and soak all day. May need to do several days in a row if deposits are very thick.

Water chamber will look like new when done.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
01-06-2013 05:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Use CPAP machine to get a new baseline AHI? blueelement2016 5 351 11-12-2016 01:37 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  New CPAP Machine cerenkov 3 308 10-28-2016 08:43 PM
Last Post: cerenkov
  [Pressure] Adjusting pressure on RESmart CPAP machine garyd86421 5 457 10-20-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: garyd86421
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,157 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  [CPAP] Service Required Error Codes - Inner Workings of a CPAP machine SuperSleeper 18 65,566 10-10-2016 01:48 PM
Last Post: juan345
  CPAP Machine Release Cycles DevChuck 5 355 10-10-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  [CPAP] can pacemaker users use CPAP machine wt92555 10 528 10-02-2016 07:16 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred