Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Slime in the CPAP machine!
RE: Slime in the CPAP machine!
(01-01-2013, 11:06 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You don't notice that the inside feels slippery to the touch, like the dog's water bowl?

No. Unless I'm not very observant or it takes longer than 2 weeks for the slime to build up at my place. Two weeks is the longest I've gone without cleaning all the parts.

(01-02-2013, 12:52 AM)TheWerkz Wrote: I have to clean my dog's water bowl usually twice a week and I always fill it from a Brita filtered water pitcher, I had always assumed the slime was a byproduct of her slobber. Too-funny

I don't let my dog drink out of my tank. Dielaughing
Seriously, i looked at our dog's water bowl and I don't feel any slime. Maybe our house is too dry at the time for that to develop. During the summer we run the AC and that also reduces the humidity which might be responsible for the slime build-up.

Based on this discussion, I thoroughly washed my equipment this morning, including the tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look, if you people really want to solve your CPAP humidifier issues, instead of tap water, distilled water or bottled water... just fill the reservoir with hydrochloric acid.... no more slime problems. As an added benefit, it will clear your sinuses (permanently) and probably will help your spouse as well (assuming you have a generous life insurance policy). oldman Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 11:20 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: ... just fill the reservoir with hydrochloric acid.... no more slime problems.

And you'll never have to clean your tank again!

It should cure sleep apnea , too. Permanently.

Now, let's see, where did I put that old car battery that died on me?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cleaning only the tank did not clear up the odor problem.

So yesterday I cleaned everything. Tank, hose, and mask. Odor is gone and I had a good night's sleep.

I think the odor from the tank had migrated to the hose, so cleaning just the tank wasn't enough.

New Year's Resolution: Keep it clean!
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Brings new meaning to the term "sleep hygiene".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water when home, and whatever while travelling. I empy it once a week, and fill with vinegar, rinse, add water and good for another week. I don't think I have slime, but would never notice a terrible smell...as I have no sense of smell.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2013, 03:43 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: The tank in my H5i is stamped "Distilled Water Only".

That's only on the US-only, non-washable tank. The washable tank doesn't have this.

Except in the US, almost everyone uses tap water in CPAP tanks because distilled water is not easily available.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2013, 01:54 AM)archangle Wrote:
(01-01-2013, 03:43 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: The tank in my H5i is stamped "Distilled Water Only".

That's only on the US-only, non-washable tank. The washable tank doesn't have this.

Except in the US, almost everyone uses tap water in CPAP tanks because distilled water is not easily available.
the water tank got from second wind stamped with "distilled water only", comes apart in two pieces but not as good (waste of money and useless) as the washable one which comes apart in three pieces and got stainless steel bottom

standard water tank ... 36802
washable water tank ...36800
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2013, 01:54 AM)archangle Wrote: Except in the US, almost everyone uses tap water in CPAP tanks because distilled water is not easily available.

This is so true. I spent a good part of the summer in Germany and was shocked that I couldn't buy distilled water. They have tons of other types of water, but distilled water is not available in normal stores. Fortunately a friend of mine there is a chemist and he was able to bring me distilled water from his lab.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2013, 02:06 PM)iSnooze Wrote:
(01-03-2013, 01:54 AM)archangle Wrote: Except in the US, almost everyone uses tap water in CPAP tanks because distilled water is not easily available.

This is so true. I spent a good part of the summer in Germany and was shocked that I couldn't buy distilled water. They have tons of other types of water, but distilled water is not available in normal stores. Fortunately a friend of mine there is a chemist and he was able to bring me distilled water from his lab.
here distilled water cheap and readily available in supermarkets, cpap and auto parts/repair shops
my choice is to use plain tap water
I've used both distilled and tap water and cannot tell the difference
on the subject of difference .... viva la difference
btw ... Bastille Day Sunday July 14 2013 ... viva la republique Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,340 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 187 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 403 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 848 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 261 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.