Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Slime in the CPAP machine!
RE: Slime in the CPAP machine!
(01-04-2013, 10:20 AM)hunningsedaniel Wrote:
(01-04-2013, 09:34 AM)Allen Wrote: Both local supermarkets I go to only have deionised water, neither of them sell distilled water

Even though your tank says distilled water, there is no reason that you cannot use deionised water. it is more pure than distilled water and you will get the same humid effect from it. It might even lengthen the time between tank cleanings.AgreedThumbs-up-2AmazingGood-workGreat-info

No. "Deionized" water isn't necessarily cleaner than distilled water. It might not even be safe to drink.

Deionized water has had ionic contaminants like minerals removed, but the non-ionic contaminants aren't necessarily removed. Think of it as having the minerals and salt removed, but not the other stuff. In particular, organic contaminants that might provide food for germs may not be removed. For that matter, it may not be processed to remove or kill bacteria, viruses, and other germs.

There is also some deionized water that is not intended for human consumption. Sometimes, water is deionized by chemical treatment, and there might be some residue left behind.

Just because it's good for steam irons or car batteries doesn't mean it's safe to drink or inhale.

Of course, you could make good drinking water with deionization as part of the process. If it's sold in grocery stores as drinking water, it's probably OK, but not necessarily as good as distilled.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is chemically pure water, but you wont want to use it. Too expensive. It is made by combining hydrogen and oxygen in proper proportions and igniting them.
Even then water is such a good solvent that it will contain some glass molecules and other stuff from the vessel that holds it.

Yet another fascinating but useless piece of triva!

:grin:

If you are really determined you can get the glassware from a lab supply house, construct an evaporator and distill your own water!

That wont be cheap either though.

Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 came with the new 2 piece design non dishwasher safe water tub and because of the lack of readily available distilled water, I did research alternatives and started using deionized water for the first 2 months. I then changed to tap water to see if it made any difference, so far I haven't noticed any staining or build up in my tub and it is now about 7 weeks since I changed to tap water.
Every morning I tip out the remaining water and then open the tub and rinse both pieces and leave them all day to dry, once a week I soak them with my hose in Citris II solution.

I have a dishwasher safe tub as well which I haven't used, but as has been metioned previously by another member, it doesn't have stamped anywhere on it 'Distilled water only'
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read on several places on the forum trying to find something about the concentration of the vinegar you use for cleaning tanks.
In Sweden we can buy vinegar in 24% concentration, but I think it must be too strong for use in cleaning the tank.
I need some info. about what you are using and what type of vinegar you use.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2013, 04:04 AM)SEVET Wrote: I have read on several places on the forum trying to find something about the concentration of the vinegar you use for cleaning tanks.
In Sweden we can buy vinegar in 24% concentration, but I think it must be too strong for use in cleaning the tank.
I need some info. about what you are using and what type of vinegar you use.

I've used "standard" white vinegar, 5%.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for info.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ratio is to be one part vinegar to 3-5 water. I saw at another forum that someone was saying it was to be 50/50. I don't want to inhale pickles all night.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed say the ratio 1 part vinegar and 10 of water (do wash and rinse well after the vinegary bath)
but for salad dressing equal parts and substitute water with olive oil Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2013, 09:20 AM)Shastzi Wrote: There is chemically pure water, but you wont want to use it. Too expensive. It is made by combining hydrogen and oxygen in proper proportions and igniting them.
Even then water is such a good solvent that it will contain some glass molecules and other stuff from the vessel that holds it.

Yet another fascinating but useless piece of triva!

:grin:

If you are really determined you can get the glassware from a lab supply house, construct an evaporator and distill your own water!

And have the feds banging on your door accusing you of making moonshine. Be careful.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2013, 04:30 PM)zonk Wrote: Resmed say the ratio 1 part vinegar and 10 of water (do wash and rinse well after the vinegary bath)

If mineral deposits are thick because using tap water and not cleaning regularly, can use 50% vinegar and soak all day. May need to do several days in a row if deposits are very thick.

Water chamber will look like new when done.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,733 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 366 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,291 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.