Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Slime in the CPAP machine!
RE: Slime in the CPAP machine!
(01-06-2013, 04:04 AM)SEVET Wrote: In Sweden we can buy vinegar in 24% concentration, but I think it must be too strong for use in cleaning the tank.

I think that nowadays the vinegar we buy at the stores in the US has a strength of 5% glacial acetic acid. We used to be able to get it a bit stronger than that. If you dilute it to 5% you'll be using what we refer to as "full strength" here in the US. If you mix one part of your 24% stuff with 3 parts water you'll get a 6% solution. That should be plenty strong enough.

I wouldn't use the 24% concentration unless you have a build up of crud that can't be removed any other way.

I clean mine with antibacterial soap or in extreme cases of an odor build up I'll use an antibacterial household spray cleaner. I did use vinegar once when I had a build up from washing it in the automatic dishwasher.

I also recommend having an extra tank on hand in case you somehow ruin it by cleaning it with the wrong solution of chemicals.

The most important thing is to not let the water stand in the tank all day every day. I used to do that, changing the water only when the level got low. Even with a brand new tank and distilled water I got a build up of stinky slime.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2013, 04:35 AM)archangle Wrote:
(01-03-2013, 08:43 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: No, it is the "washable" tank. The one I'm currently using and a spare "washable" one I got from Supplier #2 as well as the "non-washable" one that came in the spare H5i humidifier I bought from Supplier #2. All three of these tanks have "DISTILLED WATER ONLY" stamped in the clear plastic right beside the hole where you pour water in.

Very interesting. My dishwashable tank doesn't have that, only the non-washable tank.

You do know that the newer "non washable" tanks do have the plastic snap plastic piece like the washable ones do, but they don't have the polished stainless steel bottom and third plastic baffle piece the washable ones and older non-openable tanks do.

"Distilled only" on the washable tanks would be interesting because much of the world doesn't have that option, and that used to be one of the distinguishing factors about whether you got the disposable tank or the dishwashable tank.

I stand corrected. I thought two of my water chambers were the dishwashable kind, but they aren't. They are the new "standard" water chambers that snap apart. Some suppliers are referring to these as "washable", which they are, just not in the dishwasher.

Oops

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2013, 05:31 PM)Ugly Wrote: And have the feds banging on your door accusing you of making moonshine. Be careful.

What? Rev'noors? Where??
Well yes, I suppose you could make your own Everclear if you wanted to but that would
still be cheaper to just buy at the liquor store too.

Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2013, 01:53 PM)Shastzi Wrote:
(01-06-2013, 05:31 PM)Ugly Wrote: And have the feds banging on your door accusing you of making moonshine. Be careful.

What? Rev'noors? Where??
Well yes, I suppose you could make your own Everclear if you wanted to but that would
still be cheaper to just buy at the liquor store too.

I mean be careful you're not busted for distilling WATER.
Serious. This comes from a guy questioned by the cops - TWICE - for actually appearing in public with MY OWN DAUGHTER.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,384 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 189 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 404 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 850 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 267 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.