Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Slobbering
Slobbering
Hi All,

I have been using CPAP for a couple of weeks now and I cannot seem to find a solution to this problem. I have an Amara View and an Airfit F20. I have the same symptoms with both masks. I first I thought it was my humidifier, but last night I wore the mask without the machine hooked up and I have the same symptoms. I slobber out the sides of my mouth while wearing the mask. It does get a little less pronounced when I turned the humidifier off. Any ideas what could cause this? I have adapted to everything else pretty well, but this feeling is driving me nuts and wakes me up during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Slobbering
The problem is not likely connected to CPAP therapy, although the mask provides a place for saliva to accumulate. If you were on nasal therapy, you would not open your mouth, or you would have severe leaks. If that is not an option, then an absorbent material around your mouth in the mask may reduce the sense of wetness. Something unscented would be better, and many incontinence pads (don't laugh) actually turn liquids to gel. You may be able to cut something like that into strips that would work. Not a problem I have dealt with, so perhaps someone with more direct experience can comment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. I checked with my son-in-law, who is an orthodontist, who said that corner mouth leakage is quite common in older people. He said I probably don't notice it during the day, because of evaporation as well as at night. He said that it is caused by sagging facial muscles. Gravity does not discriminate against anyone.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
What did he think about wearing Poise Pads around your mouth?   Too-funny

Congrats on the successful son in law.   Coffee
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't ask about the Poise Pads Bigwink I did get a chin strap and also switched to an F20 AirTouch and this seemed to help considerably. I know I have still have some problem, but the memory foam makes it a lot less perceivable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aw, darn! I had something special in mind when you got back here with a mouthful of poise pads.

Glad the noninvasive solution is working better for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I received my P10 yesterday and tried it with my chinstrap. Much more comfortable and I do not have that wetness feeling. My number was not quite as good (1.31) from the previous nights F20 airtouch (0.84), but I felt like I got a better nights sleep. Definitely more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resistance is futile...welcome to the Hive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 08:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resistance is futile...

But oh, so much fun! Stop trying to Dalek the rebels!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 08:20 PM)txrpls Wrote: I received my P10 yesterday and tried it with my chinstrap. Much more comfortable and I do not have that wetness feeling. My number was not quite as good (1.31) from the previous nights F20 airtouch (0.84), but I felt like I  got a better nights sleep. Definitely more comfortable.

When you get better sleep, you may have a higher AHI --- when you aren't sleeping at all, it's 0 Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.