Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
Regarding the SoClean2 - it appears to be an ozone generator. Ozone can disinfect but it can damage many materials, some types of plastics being one thing. I had an ozone generator that disinfected the water in a hot tub once and it destroyed the tub cover in a few months.
Post Reply Post Reply
SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
Hey Friends,  They are really pushing the "So clean" units. Is this something I need? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So clean
The short answer is "No". If you _needed_ it, I'm pretty sure the CPAP manufacturers would recommend it or sell it themselves.

The longer answer is that there have been several threads discussing the SoClean device. It uses ozone to sterilise the areas it can reach, and it doesn't clean anything, the way a brush and detergent would. People who have bought the device say they like it, people who haven't bought it say it's useless. I have not seen any reports of CPAP users getting more infections from their usage without SoClean than people who don't use CPAP machines, so count me in the latter group.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of threads here on this.  IMO they are preying on people's unfounded fears.  At best it does nothing useful.  At worst, it damages some components of your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that it's at best worthless. Just so you know mine is not just a layman's opinion, I am a microbiologist with 25 years experience with sterilization and disinfection of equipment and facilities used in the production of sterile pharmaceuticals. Unfortunately, a good friend of mine bought one without consulting me. I haven't had the heart to tell him what I've said here but I have cautioned him that he still needs to clean his reservoir, hose, mask, and cushions at intervals, since ozone does not clean, and that it will damage his headgear and possibly cushions. If this were a medical device requiring FDA approval it never would have made it to the market.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2017, 04:11 PM)Melman Wrote: I agree that it's at best worthless. Just so you know mine is not just a layman's opinion, I am a microbiologist with 25 years experience with sterilization and disinfection of equipment and facilities used in the production of sterile pharmaceuticals. Unfortunately, a good friend of mine bought one without consulting me. I haven't had the heart to tell him what I've said here but I have cautioned him that he still needs to clean his reservoir, hose, mask, and cushions at intervals, since ozone does not clean, and that it will damage his headgear and possibly cushions. If this were a medical device requiring FDA approval it never would have made it to the market.

Thanks for this detailed explanation Melman.  Good to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pogosix,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You still need to wash your hose, mask and humidifier chamber, so you might as well save quite a bit of money and just get some dish soap, I use Ivory Liquid, some use baby shampoo, it's whatever you prefer. The only thing I don’t use is the anti-bacterial soap. Some say that those soaps break down the masks, but from what I read, others have tried them and haven’t had any trouble with it.
Hang in there for more ideas.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone, your responses helped me decide against buying a Soclean. I had doubts about it but now I am certain. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Good choice, in my oppinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
SoClean 2 for Resmed AirSense 10 Auto
Hi,

I bought a SoClean 2 for my AirSense 10 Auto and masks.
Afterwards, I read on Amazon reviews some people saying that scientifically there is no way this works to clean your equipment or kill any bacteria or germs. I see other (many more) reviews from people saying they love it and it is great. So wondering if anyone knows if it actually works or not? I ran it for the 1st time tonight and its noisy as hell, but if it works then I won't return it.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 78 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 173 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,801 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 680 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.