Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: So clean
(05-22-2017, 08:04 PM)Melman Wrote: Quote from from SoClean website FAQs: "Your CPAP equipment is completely sanitized every time you use the SoClean. However, the SoClean will not remove facial oils or dust or other foreign materials. You should hand wash your CPAP equipment with the pre-wash solutions every 5-6 weeks."

The facial oils that accumulate on the mask cause leaks. I can't imagine how removing them only every 5-6 weeks would be effective. After just a few days my greasy mask cushion would be sliding all over my face!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That happens to me after 5-6 hours!  Me so greasy!   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
My point was that SoClean concedes that their system does not clean.

I agree on the facial oils. The one thing I am scrupulous about is cleaning my cushions every day. It has nothing to do with fear of infection.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2017, 12:44 AM)chill Wrote: That happens to me after 5-6 hours!  Me so greasy!   Too-funny

Do masks also start burping and leaking when humidifier set to almost max settings?
 I noticed that when going to bed, mask is perfect (subjectively speaking) sealing, but by morning mask is leaking air to eyes and at sides (humidifier at 4).  If I set to 2 then my mouth and throat are raw dried which in my 70+ years experience, is harbinger for colds/flu.  So I trade off with 3 which is borderline.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2017, 08:45 AM)CPAPreturnee Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 12:44 AM)chill Wrote: That happens to me after 5-6 hours!  Me so greasy!   Too-funny

Do masks also start burping and leaking when humidifier set to almost max settings?
 I noticed that when going to bed, mask is perfect (subjectively speaking) sealing, but by morning mask is leaking air to eyes and at sides (humidifier at 4).  If I set to 2 then my mouth and throat are raw dried which in my 70+ years experience, is harbinger for colds/flu.  So I trade off with 3 which is borderline.

During the night the muscles in your face relax and the tension from the mask on skin and other cells move them somewhat. The overall effect is that generally your mask will be looser in the morning than at night. That is why I make my final adjustments to the mask in the morning with the PAP pressure as high as it is set for after I have gotten my pressures adjusted. If my max IPAP is 18, then I adjust at 18. This can be done easily by using the mask fit feature.

best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='206920' dateline='1495652017']

During the night the muscles in your face relax and the tension from the mask on skin and other cells move them somewhat. The overall effect is that generally your mask will be looser in the morning than at night. That is why I make my final adjustments to the mask in the morning with the PAP pressure as high as it is set for after I have gotten my pressures adjusted. If my max IPAP is 18, then I adjust at 18. This can be done easily by using the mask fit feature.

best Regards,

PaytonA
[/quote]

Thanks for iinfo!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well........I have a SoClean and I use it weekly just to clean the heated hose.  I do not allow ozone to flow through the CPAP as I am worried that it would damage the seals of the machine.  I clean the reservoir and the mask  weekly using soap and water.  The hose was clean when I started using the SoClean.  I use a special attachment to connect the hose directly to the SoClean.

So far, I have had no problems.  I guess the reason I like doing it this way is that I thought the hose was the most difficult item to clean.  You almost had to run a long brush through it every time you cleaned it.  Then hang it up for hours to dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
In a word, NO. you do not need the SoClean Device
In my opinion it is simply some organization that is attempting to make a profit from CPAPPers love of  expensive gadgetry. I do believe that CPAP masks and headgear should be physically washed in soap and water to remove skin, oils, mucous, saliva etc. At least once a week I scrub my  mask surfaces with  an old toothbrush and common liquid detergent , then rinse thoroughly and dry in airflow from my old CPAP. The SoClean supposedly exposes equipment to ozone, but even if it kills some pathogens it does absolutey nothing to actually clean the gear.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote from the FAQs on the SoClean web site "Your CPAP equipment is completely sanitized every time you use the SoClean. However, the SoClean will not remove facial oils or dust or other foreign materials. You should hand wash your CPAP equipment with the pre-wash solutions every 5-6 weeks."

But they call it a cleaner and sanitizer.

Huhsign
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Is SoClean 2 safe to use?
I understand that the use of the SoClean 2 is very controversial in the community so my question is not about whether it is effective or worth the money

My question is :

Is there scientific data (excluding personal opinions) that indicates it is or is not safe for a cpap user to use on a daily basis.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,781 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 158 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  csa machines cexer 1 131 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 232 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,903 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 411 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.