Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] So clean
That happens to me after 5-6 hours!  Me so greasy!   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
My point was that SoClean concedes that their system does not clean.

I agree on the facial oils. The one thing I am scrupulous about is cleaning my cushions every day. It has nothing to do with fear of infection.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2017, 12:44 AM)chill Wrote: That happens to me after 5-6 hours!  Me so greasy!   Too-funny

Do masks also start burping and leaking when humidifier set to almost max settings?
 I noticed that when going to bed, mask is perfect (subjectively speaking) sealing, but by morning mask is leaking air to eyes and at sides (humidifier at 4).  If I set to 2 then my mouth and throat are raw dried which in my 70+ years experience, is harbinger for colds/flu.  So I trade off with 3 which is borderline.
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-24-2017, 08:45 AM)CPAPreturnee Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 12:44 AM)chill Wrote: That happens to me after 5-6 hours!  Me so greasy!   Too-funny

Do masks also start burping and leaking when humidifier set to almost max settings?
 I noticed that when going to bed, mask is perfect (subjectively speaking) sealing, but by morning mask is leaking air to eyes and at sides (humidifier at 4).  If I set to 2 then my mouth and throat are raw dried which in my 70+ years experience, is harbinger for colds/flu.  So I trade off with 3 which is borderline.

During the night the muscles in your face relax and the tension from the mask on skin and other cells move them somewhat. The overall effect is that generally your mask will be looser in the morning than at night. That is why I make my final adjustments to the mask in the morning with the PAP pressure as high as it is set for after I have gotten my pressures adjusted. If my max IPAP is 18, then I adjust at 18. This can be done easily by using the mask fit feature.

best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='206920' dateline='1495652017']

During the night the muscles in your face relax and the tension from the mask on skin and other cells move them somewhat. The overall effect is that generally your mask will be looser in the morning than at night. That is why I make my final adjustments to the mask in the morning with the PAP pressure as high as it is set for after I have gotten my pressures adjusted. If my max IPAP is 18, then I adjust at 18. This can be done easily by using the mask fit feature.

best Regards,

PaytonA
[/quote]

Thanks for iinfo!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well........I have a SoClean and I use it weekly just to clean the heated hose.  I do not allow ozone to flow through the CPAP as I am worried that it would damage the seals of the machine.  I clean the reservoir and the mask  weekly using soap and water.  The hose was clean when I started using the SoClean.  I use a special attachment to connect the hose directly to the SoClean.

So far, I have had no problems.  I guess the reason I like doing it this way is that I thought the hose was the most difficult item to clean.  You almost had to run a long brush through it every time you cleaned it.  Then hang it up for hours to dry.
Post Reply Post Reply

In a word, NO. you do not need the SoClean Device
In my opinion it is simply some organization that is attempting to make a profit from CPAPPers love of  expensive gadgetry. I do believe that CPAP masks and headgear should be physically washed in soap and water to remove skin, oils, mucous, saliva etc. At least once a week I scrub my  mask surfaces with  an old toothbrush and common liquid detergent , then rinse thoroughly and dry in airflow from my old CPAP. The SoClean supposedly exposes equipment to ozone, but even if it kills some pathogens it does absolutey nothing to actually clean the gear.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote from the FAQs on the SoClean web site "Your CPAP equipment is completely sanitized every time you use the SoClean. However, the SoClean will not remove facial oils or dust or other foreign materials. You should hand wash your CPAP equipment with the pre-wash solutions every 5-6 weeks."

But they call it a cleaner and sanitizer.

Huhsign

Post Reply Post Reply
SoClean is questionable as to its true effectiveness. I also question its ability to perform beyond about 12-18 months. It will fail within that time frame! I know it WILL because it is obviously using an Ozone gas generator. It is producing "activated oxygen" better known as Ozone (O3), which is highly corrosive and a powerful oxidizer and the devices used to produce it are susceptible to failure, most lasting no more than 12-18 months. SO this means the $300 investment will NOT be a one time purchase. Their website makes no mention of replacement parts involving the O3 generator or even a service cost to repair it. With only a 1 year warranty, I am skeptical about its longevity. I am very familiar with the different types of ozone generators in the industry as it is part of the industry I have worked in for over 30 years and I know that NONE of them claim ANY longevity beyond 12-18 months of usefulness without replacing the key components involved in the production of ozone. I also seriously question the ability to completely sanitize all surfaces, since the unit does NOT wash ANYTHING! So any saliva, mucous, etc. is going to remain in place effectively protecting any buried bacteria from being exposed to the ozone. So I think washing is a step that simply must be done regardless. There is also a another nasty side affect of exposing the air we breathe to concentrated O3. Since we do not breather pure oxygen and a major portion of the air contains nitrogen, this gas when exposed to Ozone converts to nitric acid, which shows up as a nasty yellow sticky liquid residue. This residue will accumulate in the tubing and other components. While this may not be a problem for components that get replaced regularly, the bit and pieces that do not will start to accumulate this residue and this will definitely pose a health risk in the long term. I have seen this first hand working with ozone generators use around water systems and the tubing becomes stained yellow, even brown and must be replaced 1-2 times a year. the residue cannot be effectively cleaned off and handling nitric acid is highly acidic and can cause irritation to sensitive skin and mucous membrane. So unless you are replacing your mask and tubing regularly, I think this product will introduce more problems than solutions in the long term.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So Clean colthoff 3 330 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Disassembling Resmed S9 humidfier portion, bug clean up Thelgow 12 886 01-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Thelgow
  What specific type of soap do you use to clean Cpap tube? Ihaveapnea 13 1,270 01-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  How to clean a heated h Sleepyv 5 618 12-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Easy Way to Clean/Sanitize Hose stanleydean 13 1,994 06-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Last Post: archangle
  Problem keeping reservoir clean stanstr 19 3,368 01-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Last Post: stanstr
Wink BiPAP to AUTO CPAP and So Clean TomKriek 3 763 10-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred