Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: Is SoClean 2 safe to use?
I used an Ozone air "purifier" in my living room for some time.
One thing that I noticed was when we returned from vacation, we would notice odors (we had cats) that we would not normally notice.
I'm sure part of this was due to scent fatigue (the thing that makes it difficult to tell if you have bad breath or body odor), but in reading on the units, some claim that the ozone in the air actually desensitizes our sense of smell... this being how a single unit with a 6" fan can "purify" the air in a 2000 square foot home without any circulation assistance to exchange the air between rooms.

Ultimately, the white powdery deposits collected on the fan to the point that it no longer worked. I could have taken the unit apart and cleaned it, but instead I tossed it.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My own related question hasn't been answered:

Does the SoClean2 machine cause any danger to my health? When I put on the mask, I smell a residual odor I assume is ozone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone can be harmful.  it also has a half life of about 30min and breaks down to oxygen so the risk is time dependent. The only way to answer you question is to know the concentration of ozone you are inhaling and if it is ozone. We have no way to know either.

Hear is EPA information on the health risks: https://www.epa.gov/ozone-pollution/heal...-pollution
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
If ozone has a half life of 30 minutes, then the residual smell on my mask cannot be ozone. I wonder what it is.

The SoClean machine operates when I am not using my BiPAP or humidifier, so I assume I must not be breathing any ozone.

I'm hoping it isn't otherwise harmful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone is a strong oxidizer. That's how it kills bacteria. It is not, however, a cleaner. You may be smelling some uncleaned residue that has been partially oxidized but not removed. Although you have to dig for it, So Clean concedes it is not a cleaner and recommends regular washing of your equipment in the FAQs on their website.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The length of time for ozone to decay into molecular oxygen at sea level is very short so there is very little chance of ozone causing any problem to your health if you provide some time between ozone treatment and use.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Melman and PaytonA,

Thank you for your kindness and prompt responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
I been using it for e months. It dose not clea oils off the equipment but it sanitizes it. I have not seen or had any troubles with mask, hose , or machine. My mask has a slight yellowing only where it touchs my skin. I put a napkin under my mask by my mouth to asord drool. The area where the mask touches the skin is the only area that is yellowing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So clean
SoClean is questionable as to its true effectiveness. I also question its ability to perform beyond about 12-18 months. It will fail within that time frame! I know it WILL because it is obviously using an Ozone gas generator. It is producing "activated oxygen" better known as Ozone (O3), which is highly corrosive and a powerful oxidizer and the devices used to produce it are susceptible to failure, most lasting no more than 12-18 months. SO this means the $300 investment will NOT be a one time purchase. Their website makes no mention of replacement parts involving the O3 generator or even a service cost to repair it. With only a 1 year warranty, I am skeptical about its longevity. I am very familiar with the different types of ozone generators in the industry as it is part of the industry I have worked in for over 30 years and I know that NONE of them claim ANY longevity beyond 12-18 months of usefulness without replacing the key components involved in the production of ozone. I also seriously question the ability to completely sanitize all surfaces, since the unit does NOT wash ANYTHING! So any saliva, mucous, etc. is going to remain in place effectively protecting any buried bacteria from being exposed to the ozone. So I think washing is a step that simply must be done regardless. There is also a another nasty side affect of exposing the air we breathe to concentrated O3. Since we do not breather pure oxygen and a major portion of the air contains nitrogen, this gas when exposed to Ozone converts to nitric acid, which shows up as a nasty yellow sticky liquid residue. This residue will accumulate in the tubing and other components. While this may not be a problem for components that get replaced regularly, the bit and pieces that do not will start to accumulate this residue and this will definitely pose a health risk in the long term. I have seen this first hand working with ozone generators use around water systems and the tubing becomes stained yellow, even brown and must be replaced 1-2 times a year. the residue cannot be effectively cleaned off and handling nitric acid is highly acidic and can cause irritation to sensitive skin and mucous membrane. So unless you are replacing your mask and tubing regularly, I think this product will introduce more problems than solutions in the long term.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed AS10 Side cover / humidifier delete and SoClean
So I had a nasty discovery yesterday. For the summer I didn't use the humidifier so I got the delete / side cover for $15 and ran with it. Made the unit smaller, quieter, and I was happy. I clean my unit every 2 or 3 days with my SoClean, easy and convenient. Yesterday morning I awoke to a sore throat and a nasty taste in my mouth. I tore the setup down and found "dirt" contaminating the mask and hose. I checked the filter, its clean. I pull the side cover and look into the unit its clean too, so I look at the side cover and its got the dirt on / in it. I carefully pop the latches and take the side cover apart and there it is, a piece of foam inside the side cover and its all deteriorated.

Evidently Ozone + foam noise suppressor = Uh Oh. I removed the foam and cleaned everything up, the setup is now just slightly louder to my untrained ear. So what I'm getting at is if you want to use the side cover and the SoClean, take the side cover apart and remove the foam so you don't inhale some of it like I did.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,792 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 160 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  csa machines cexer 1 133 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 236 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,906 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 414 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.