Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Soaps for cleaning?
I use original dawn and vinegar at the same time with water in a plastic bucket used for nothing but cleaning my supplies.

You will find a lot of different ways people clean their supplies. It is an individual preference (some are more anal than others). I would not use antibacterial soap.

With my humidifier hose, I generally put a few drops of dawn and some vinegar in there followed by water and I make sure by moving the hose that the solution gets coated on the whole interior of the hose. Rinse well and hang up to dry. If the hose isn't dry and I am ready for bed, then I hook it up to the machine and turn it on and it finishes drying quickly. However, that is a rare instance because I have 2 sets of supplies that I switch off between.

So, in essence, it is just what your preference is (lavender anything isn't something that is found in this house lol)
06-06-2015 12:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

Sex: Male

I make sure all my dish soap, shampoo, laundry detergent etc. are free of Sodium Lauryl / Laureth Sulfate (SLS / SLES). They are in everything. There are products that are free of it, you just have to look for them. Even the natural green hippie products can have it. But once you figure out SLS and SLES free soaps and detergents it's carry on as usual. In my opinion SLS and SLES are worth avoiding.

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 02:27 AM by player.)
06-06-2015 02:24 AM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

(06-05-2015 10:52 PM)GP49 Wrote:  Does anybody use antibacterial soaps?

The booklet that came with my mask specifically says not to use antibacterial soap. Says the same thing with my brother's mask by a different manufacturer. Don't know why. I only keep antibacterial in the car to use when water is not available. I hear it causes problems with sewage treatment.
06-06-2015 08:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
WakeUpTime Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One BiPAP S60 Auto 760
Mask Make & Model: P10 pillows
Humidifier: PR S1 w Heated Tube+Hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto / Inhale 11-12.5 / Exh 9
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Am I the only one using regular hand soap as my "mild soap"? I'm curious why that would be not as good as mild dishwashing soap. Of course my hand washing soap is clear (not creamy) and not antibacterial. Dishwashing soaps seem to all have either color or scent to them, but they would I suppose be more effective at cleaning plastic/silicone type items if they were greasy (over handsoap). Perhaps that's the reason most people choose that.

I keep hearing different levels of vinegar. One person posted full strength awhile ago, then I heard 50-50, then I just read 1:3 parts above. I'm wondering what the safe (not abrasive) yet effective mixture is for vinegar (5%).

Sleep Apnea has given me a terrible memory. Please forgive me if I've repeated myself.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 02:02 PM by WakeUpTime.)
06-06-2015 02:01 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

(06-06-2015 02:01 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:  Am I the only one using regular hand soap as my "mild soap"? I'm curious why that would be not as good as mild dishwashing soap. Of course my hand washing soap is clear (not creamy) and not antibacterial. Dishwashing soaps seem to all have either color or scent to them, but they would I suppose be more effective at cleaning plastic/silicone type items if they were greasy (over handsoap). Perhaps that's the reason most people choose that.

I keep hearing different levels of vinegar. One person posted full strength awhile ago, then I heard 50-50, then I just read 1:3 parts above. I'm wondering what the safe (not abrasive) yet effective mixture is for vinegar (5%).

No reason why you couldn't except that hand soaps tend to have oils and such, which is great for skin, less great for stuff. If your hand soap is working for you, keep doing it. I use bar soap (Irish Spring) and I can't see how that would help clean my tubes. Again, referring to the booklet that came with my mask, they say use 1:3 vinegar and water. Vinegar is an acid so I'd go by the manufacturer's recommendations. High levels of vinegar don't necessarily remove bacteria - if you think you need to disinfect, then buy a Cpap disinfectant. Just my thoughts.
06-06-2015 03:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

(06-05-2015 10:20 PM)JVinNE Wrote:  I use a clear, fragrance free dish detergent, from the "health food and product" aisle. It's called Seventh Generation.
(06-05-2015 10:40 AM)AirSign Wrote:  Baby shampoo. Lavender when it's on sale Wink

OT, but I just laughed out loud! "Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah"

From a fellow New Englander, that is so funny and brilliant. Smile

Can relate. Our seasons were a little longer. For us it was 'Winner, Mud, Bug, Road Repair, 4th July, Winner, Shovel off the roof.'
(Former Vermonter)

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 06:47 PM by AlanE.)
06-06-2015 06:44 PM
AlanE Online

Advisory Members

I use Baby Shampoo. For vinegar - Recommended was a 3 water to 1 mix. I don't want my stuff smelling like day before Easter Sunday so I just use the shampoo.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
06-06-2015 06:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Veilsd Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-13mm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Resmed recommends white vinegar 10:1 water to vinegar. A 3:1 would be WAY too strong. I use Resmed's guide and with a rinse with water there is no smell afterwards.
06-07-2015 12:00 AM
AlanE Online

Advisory Members

My ResMed manual doesn't mention vinegar at all. It says warm water / mild detergent and does list those types of cleaners you shouldn't use. It was my DME that recommended cleaning just the humidifier tank with a 3-1 water/vinegar solution. As stated I just use the shampoo for all including the tank.

06-07-2015 06:11 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Veilsd Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-13mm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(06-07-2015 06:11 AM)AlanE Wrote:  My ResMed manual doesn't mention vinegar at all. It says warm water / mild detergent and does list those types of cleaners you shouldn't use. It was my DME that recommended cleaning just the humidifier tank with a 3-1 water/vinegar solution. As stated I just use the shampoo for all including the tank.

Its in the Clinician manual sorry. It says "remove any white powder deposits using a solution of one part household vinegar to
10 parts water". Cleaning with mild soap or detergent still applies.
06-07-2015 07:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cleaning Dream wear mask Judy1843 3 179 12-02-2016 07:13 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,251 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 359 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP cleaning system Tommy C 97 62,707 10-20-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo FormerFed 10 1,114 10-05-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: archangle
  Question about cleaning/drying air tube RB73 16 1,066 09-25-2016 02:46 PM
Last Post: hegel
  Cleaning Humidifier Resmed autosense s10 chuck6161 5 802 07-22-2016 06:23 PM
Last Post: foss