Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Soaps for cleaning?
RE: Soaps for cleaning?
I use original dawn and vinegar at the same time with water in a plastic bucket used for nothing but cleaning my supplies.

You will find a lot of different ways people clean their supplies. It is an individual preference (some are more anal than others). I would not use antibacterial soap.

With my humidifier hose, I generally put a few drops of dawn and some vinegar in there followed by water and I make sure by moving the hose that the solution gets coated on the whole interior of the hose. Rinse well and hang up to dry. If the hose isn't dry and I am ready for bed, then I hook it up to the machine and turn it on and it finishes drying quickly. However, that is a rare instance because I have 2 sets of supplies that I switch off between.

So, in essence, it is just what your preference is (lavender anything isn't something that is found in this house lol)
Post Reply Post Reply
I make sure all my dish soap, shampoo, laundry detergent etc. are free of Sodium Lauryl / Laureth Sulfate (SLS / SLES). They are in everything. There are products that are free of it, you just have to look for them. Even the natural green hippie products can have it. But once you figure out SLS and SLES free soaps and detergents it's carry on as usual. In my opinion SLS and SLES are worth avoiding.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 10:52 PM)GP49 Wrote: Does anybody use antibacterial soaps?

The booklet that came with my mask specifically says not to use antibacterial soap. Says the same thing with my brother's mask by a different manufacturer. Don't know why. I only keep antibacterial in the car to use when water is not available. I hear it causes problems with sewage treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Am I the only one using regular hand soap as my "mild soap"? I'm curious why that would be not as good as mild dishwashing soap. Of course my hand washing soap is clear (not creamy) and not antibacterial. Dishwashing soaps seem to all have either color or scent to them, but they would I suppose be more effective at cleaning plastic/silicone type items if they were greasy (over handsoap). Perhaps that's the reason most people choose that.

I keep hearing different levels of vinegar. One person posted full strength awhile ago, then I heard 50-50, then I just read 1:3 parts above. I'm wondering what the safe (not abrasive) yet effective mixture is for vinegar (5%).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2015, 02:01 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Am I the only one using regular hand soap as my "mild soap"? I'm curious why that would be not as good as mild dishwashing soap. Of course my hand washing soap is clear (not creamy) and not antibacterial. Dishwashing soaps seem to all have either color or scent to them, but they would I suppose be more effective at cleaning plastic/silicone type items if they were greasy (over handsoap). Perhaps that's the reason most people choose that.

I keep hearing different levels of vinegar. One person posted full strength awhile ago, then I heard 50-50, then I just read 1:3 parts above. I'm wondering what the safe (not abrasive) yet effective mixture is for vinegar (5%).

No reason why you couldn't except that hand soaps tend to have oils and such, which is great for skin, less great for stuff. If your hand soap is working for you, keep doing it. I use bar soap (Irish Spring) and I can't see how that would help clean my tubes. Again, referring to the booklet that came with my mask, they say use 1:3 vinegar and water. Vinegar is an acid so I'd go by the manufacturer's recommendations. High levels of vinegar don't necessarily remove bacteria - if you think you need to disinfect, then buy a Cpap disinfectant. Just my thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 10:20 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I use a clear, fragrance free dish detergent, from the "health food and product" aisle. It's called Seventh Generation.
(06-05-2015, 10:40 AM)AirSign Wrote: Baby shampoo. Lavender when it's on sale Wink

OT, but I just laughed out loud! "Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah"

From a fellow New Englander, that is so funny and brilliant. Smile

Can relate. Our seasons were a little longer. For us it was 'Winner, Mud, Bug, Road Repair, 4th July, Winner, Shovel off the roof.'
(Former Vermonter)
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Baby Shampoo. For vinegar - Recommended was a 3 water to 1 mix. I don't want my stuff smelling like day before Easter Sunday so I just use the shampoo.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed recommends white vinegar 10:1 water to vinegar. A 3:1 would be WAY too strong. I use Resmed's guide and with a rinse with water there is no smell afterwards.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ResMed manual doesn't mention vinegar at all. It says warm water / mild detergent and does list those types of cleaners you shouldn't use. It was my DME that recommended cleaning just the humidifier tank with a 3-1 water/vinegar solution. As stated I just use the shampoo for all including the tank.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2015, 06:11 AM)AlanE Wrote: My ResMed manual doesn't mention vinegar at all. It says warm water / mild detergent and does list those types of cleaners you shouldn't use. It was my DME that recommended cleaning just the humidifier tank with a 3-1 water/vinegar solution. As stated I just use the shampoo for all including the tank.

Its in the Clinician manual sorry. It says "remove any white powder deposits using a solution of one part household vinegar to
10 parts water". Cleaning with mild soap or detergent still applies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 168 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,784 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 181 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 605 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.