Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
Soclean o3 bacteria/fungi cleaner
Have just saw add for a SoClean cpap mask and tube cleaner. Has anybody used this or have any information on this device. I proposes to use O3 ( ozone ) to clean equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soclean o3 bacteria/fungi cleaner
There have been many a discussion on this product. Below are a few of the threads regarding it. If you wish to see others, please use the Search feature at the top of the page. Just type "soclean" in the search box.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht=soclean

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soclean o3 bacteria/fungi cleaner
Yes, I saw the other threads after I posted. Thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
I got this and I am very skeptical but Dr recommended it because I had lots of sinus infections in the past year and my DEM carried it so I am giving it a whirl. Here are my thoughts:

- easy to set up and smell in the mask at bedtime is bad but goes away (or you get used to it) quickly

- Yeah, the name is deceptive as it does not clean crud or dirt, it sanitizes only. This is like someone with dirty hands rubbing them in Purell till they are dry. They are still dirty but maybe free of germs.

- The ozone claim is plausible and the study they show on the website is well done but if they paid for the study so it's not independent and can be somewhat discounted.

- On the flip side the EPA study people quote to debunk this machine is for Air Cleaners and the problem with that is Air Cleaners work in a large open environment while this box works in a small confined space so ergo it should be more effective as the Ozone is more concentrated.

- Some of detractors also say that 7-12 mins would not be enough time but forget (or don't know) you need to let it "soak" in this Ozone gas for 2 hours after the running stops which in my mind adds to the plausibility.

I am very surprise since this has been around for 5+ years that more studies have not been done on this specific machine (not ozone air cleaners in general). Other woo things like copper bands, cupping and sports tape have been studied and debunked. The fact that this has not makes me wonder if it does indeed work.

The problem is of course that there is no way for me to "test" if it works at all since I don't carry around lab culture dishes in the house. Any anecdotal evidence I give is not proof. If I stop getting sinus infections I can praise SoClean I all want but it won't mean it was SoClean that stopped them. The only thing that will prove this works is more independent research and I don't see it coming. So until when/if that ever happens I'll be using it and wondering is it doing anything.

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my thought.
If there is any debris left in the tube, it may be sanitized, but it is still particulate - and your lungs would prefer to not breath particulate. That is why we have nose hairs to block particulate entry, mucus to trap it, and cilia in the lungs to move the mucus containing particulate up and out of the lungs.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
A complete set of masks in my locale costs in excess of $250 and they don't sell replacement parts, so the sales guy said!!. He recommended that I just use water to wipe the cushions and it's meant to last up to a year! Guess if they sell it at that price and tell people the cushion only last 3 weeks there's going to be a riot.

I went back to my old cushion which is coming to 8 months and just wipe it down with a damp tissue each night to get rid of the layer of facial oil. My leaks are well controlled with headbands not too tight. My pressure does't go beyond 11 much, so that probably helps. The regular wash is weekly with dishwashing liquid. Haven't tried vinegar because I just can't stand the smell of it. So far so good.

I was thinking of substituting vinegar with chlorhexidine irrigation solution diluted but the instructions says to discard the bottle a week after opening. Figured it was't worth the risk damaging the mask.

I no longer boil the cushion.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbee, look at Supplier #1 for your mask and parts to see what they cost. Amazon sells replacement wisp nasal cushions for $20 The Swift FX is the prior generation to the Airfit P10 that sells for $65 on Amazon. The Swift FX is available from Supplier #1 for $67 as an assembly kit or $98 in a retail package. If your supplier is getting $250 and claiming you can't get parts, you need a new supplier.

If you are insured, get a list of in-network providers from your insurance company. If you are self-financing, get a better deal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2017, 08:32 PM)Beej Wrote: Here's my thought.
If there is any debris left in the tube, it may be sanitized,

Sorry, but that's not so. I spent over 20 years in the sterile pharmaceutical industry working with a variety of sterilizing agents. Their is an axiom that I used when training technicians and other workers; "you can clean without sterilizing/sanitizing but you cannot sterilize/sanitize without first cleaning". Microorganisms need direct contact with the sanitizing agent to be killed and a very thin film of of any material will protect them. This especially true for gases such as ozone. Microorganism under or in debris won't be phased. This is even true for steam sterilization at 250F (121C).

In my opinion the SoClean system is a waste of money. Dawn is a lot cheaper.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2017, 09:41 PM)Melman Wrote:
(02-17-2017, 08:32 PM)Beej Wrote: Here's my thought.
If there is any debris left in the tube, it may be sanitized,

Their [sic] is an axiom that I used when training technicians and other workers; "you can clean without sterilizing/sanitizing but you cannot sterilize/sanitize without first cleaning". ..

My point is that there is particulate, which really isn't good to inhale over the long haul regardless of contents, sanitizing attempts, etc..

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree and apologize if I was suggesting you were wrong about particulates. My main concern was that anyone would believe this system will actually sanitize their equipment or that such sensitization is necessary. I was especially disturbed when I watched the company's video which says you don't even need to disassemble your equipment but just circulate ozone through it. They actually say it cleans the equipment. Ozone is in no way a cleaner. A friend recently purchased this system. Didn't have the heart to tell him it was a waste of money but did warn him of the need to wash tubing, mask, and reservoir before the ozone treatment.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,774 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 155 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  csa machines cexer 1 128 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 231 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,901 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 408 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.