Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

im a trainman not driver but..
im a trainman not driver but..
my job is holding me to this standard for some reason.;. where can i get the actual DOT guidelines in print in my hands??crazy..cant find a thing specific to my job...FRA? DOT? whos making the rules???SadThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: im a trainman not driver but..
Hi Cheesedips,

The best way to get the information you want is to simply ask your company HR department what the exact LAW is or it may be a company policy. They may simply be choosing to follow the DOT guidelines to protect them self's. Also you most likely can find the regulation you want under FMCSA. And remember when you request the information from your company be vary nice and you should have no issues getting the info. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
If they do not have a ruling already in place specifically stating it, they can probably do it due to some umbrella statement about health issues. Add in the fatal derailment in NYC a while back where the train driver was shown to have undetected/untreated sleep apnea and fell asleep, it is probably making them twitchy.

A search got me this statistic from Sleep4Safety:
Quote:Recent reports from the National Sleep Foundation confirm that sleeping problems impact job performance in the transportation industry as a whole. According to the poll, however, train operators experience the greatest issues when it comes to sleep and job performance. A staggering 44% of operators state that their weekday routines do not allow for adequate sleep. Furthermore, 14% of operators suffer from some sort of sleep disorder, which results in a feeling of waking up “unrefreshed” and groggy. With 18% of operators attributing a “near miss” accident at work to sleepiness, it is clear that getting a better night’s sleep and treating disruptive sleep disorders is necessary.

I found other similar statistics and the like, but nothing solid saying yes, there is an official rule. I found tons on CDL license holders.

Like darkcat said, your best bet is to go to HR and politely request the documentation. Meanwhile, use your machine, be compliant, and do what they tell you. This isn't just your job. It's your life.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cheesedips,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula and darkcat said.
Best of luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Cheesedips,

When I requested something like that from a former company I worked for, I worded it along the line "I would like to know what the standards you are using so I can keep you out of trouble." Works every time.
Post Reply Post Reply
still waiting for something in writing from job.only thing ive seen is they are useing DOT rules for drivers..im not a drive just a trainman..still waiting for fra response....
federal dot has nothing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  They’re threatening to suspend my driver’s license! Cockatiel 30 8,675 02-28-2020, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Zorki1c
  [CPAP] Im a cdl driver they said i have to have at least 4 hours of machine and 70% denarmy 15 3,382 10-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: foss
  [News] Traveling with CPAP - advice from a long-haul truck driver ApneaNews 4 3,290 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Did you have to report your Sleep Apnea to renew your driver's license? shawn42 33 9,332 07-17-2016, 04:09 AM
Last Post: Dafod
  Some Australian Doctors see the problem with Driver Reporting Moriarty 30 10,394 01-04-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Moriarty
  There is at least one Truck Driver here Tiny 4 2,521 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Tiny

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.