Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Somehow knocked my machine off the table last night!
Somehow knocked my machine off the table last night!
It doesn't happen often, but this is the third time in the last ten years or so that my machine has been knocked off the table during the night.

The last two times, it killed the machine as water somehow got sucked into the guts and killed it. This time (knock wood), it appears that no damage was caused by this event.

For the life of me, I am trying to figure out how this happens? My hose goes from my machine, behind the headboard, and then down into bed. So if I tug on the hose it simply pulls tight at the headboard.

The night-stand/table is at bed height, stable heavy wood, with nothing else on it but my dream machine, and is 18x24" on the surface.

In the case last night, first think I know is waking up to no pressure (the hose and come unplugged from the machine (which was still running, but on the floor) with the high-leak alarm beeping.

With all my dogs, etc - I do not wish to keep my machine on the floor. Short of bolting it to the table, or other drastic ideas, any thoughts?

Again, only three times in the last ten years or so - but it could be a very costly occurrence...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Somehow knocked my machine off the table last night!
Hi peter_c,

I use a wall hook I screwed into the wall between my bed and night stand. My pap is on the nightstand and I route my hose through the hook so it's elevated and then down to my bed.

This helps with hose management but also protects the machine from being pulled and crashing to the floor as worst case scenario it would be pulled up against the back wall.

I know there are special hose stands and that, put a simple wall hook from Walmart for 50 cents works for me and prevents and accidents that could hurt my little cpap'er.

Post Reply Post Reply
My television set has a short strap on the back which anchors the tv to a screw on the back of the tv stand. It prevents the grandkids from pulling the tv off the stand. Maybe you could cobble up something like that with a little stick-on velcro and imagination.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good ideas. I packed mine in with a few books, after pulling it off my low stand a couple of times the first two weeks.

Mostly, I just learned to manage the hose, but can easily imagine that it might happen again a few times in the next 10 years.

I always woke up immediately (since usually I was awake to roll over anyway) and immediately mopped it out and cleared the hose.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem based on how often sounds like no big deal. But when you consider the cost of a replacement, and the fact that I simply_do_not_sleep_ever without my dream machine, the fact that it *ever* happens is bad news.

To please my lovely wife, I dare not bolt in some 'L' brackets, or the like. Trust me, it's not the hose pulling it off - last night I somehow knocked/shoved the machine off the table (table itself was not moved). Hidden by the headboard is a 'hose clamp' screwed into the wall (done during the paint work recently) so the hose would either tear, or the mask would rip off my face - but pulling on the hose cannot move the machine.

One machine was paid for under warranty, the other machine came out of my pocket (was still working at the time). Of course, I have my old brick CPAP for a backup, but that wouldn't be fun long-term. Thank God no damage, but I gotta figure out how to make it never happen again...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 04:12 PM)Peter_C Wrote: The problem based on how often sounds like no big deal. But when you consider the cost of a replacement, and the fact that I simply_do_not_sleep_ever without my dream machine, the fact that it *ever* happens is bad news.

To please my lovely wife, I dare not bolt in some 'L' brackets, or the like. Trust me, it's not the hose pulling it off - last night I somehow knocked/shoved the machine off the table (table itself was not moved). Hidden by the headboard is a 'hose clamp' screwed into the wall (done during the paint work recently) so the hose would either tear, or the mask would rip off my face - but pulling on the hose cannot move the machine.

One machine was paid for under warranty, the other machine came out of my pocket (was still working at the time). Of course, I have my old brick CPAP for a backup, but that wouldn't be fun long-term. Thank God no damage, but I gotta figure out how to make it never happen again...

can you put some pillows around it or a cage type thing like a fireplace grate but taller?
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's not the hose pulling it off I would try double sided velcro on the bottom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Peter,

Here is an idea that Paula mentioned back a wile ago. Find a piece of furniture that has a drawer and that you can fit next to your bed. Leave the drawer open at night and keep the CPAP in the drawer. I have a small bureau next to my bed near the head that I could use. That should make it so that you can not knock it off easily. Have you thought that maybe it was one of your dogs that knocked it off while you were asleep?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 08:45 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Hey Peter,

Here is an idea that Paula mentioned back a wile ago. Find a piece of furniture that has a drawer and that you can fit next to your bed. Leave the drawer open at night and keep the CPAP in the drawer. I have a small bureau next to my bed near the head that I could use. That should make it so that you can not knock it off easily. Have you thought that maybe it was one of your dogs that knocked it off while you were asleep?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Wouldn't that mean the air the machine is sucking in right to your lungs be from the inside of the drawer? I dunno, seems like that might degrade the air quality to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
lots of ways to solve this problem it sounds like.

velcro it down, screw it down, strap it down

find a piece of furniture that has a "lip" around it

no skid stuff underneath it

I'm with you, if it happened a single time I'd liquid nails that thing to my nightstand before I let another one die.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,273 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 551 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 841 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 885 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 441 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,776 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,299 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.