Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Somehow knocked my machine off the table last night!
RE: Somehow knocked my machine off the table last night!
I just use a Hose Buddy. It's not possible to tug your CPAP off onto the floor with that. Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
The hose is not the issue. With a hose clamp bolted to the wall behind the headboard, the hose can't be yanked either way. What woke me, was my hose disconnecting from the machine as the machine went to the floor. The point being, that somehow during my sleep, I (rarely) have pushed/knocked/shoved the machine off the table - so it looks like I will try the velcro route and see if that works.

I still maintain that a location change to directly above the headboard (out of my reach while laying down) is the ticket, but my lovely wife is less-than-thrilled with that idea.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Somehow knocked my machine off the table last night!
(05-03-2014, 09:23 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Wouldn't that mean the air the machine is sucking in right to your lungs be from the inside of the drawer? I dunno, seems like that might degrade the air quality to me.

Your machine will be blowing something like 20 liters or 5 gallons of air per minute. It will very quickly use up any "stale" air from the drawer and surrounding area and be taking in the fresh air in the room. Clean the drawer to remove any dust. Air out the drawer for a little bit the first time. You might let the machine run for a few seconds before you put the mask on.

If the furniture is producing enough chemicals to contaminate 20 liters of air per minute all night long, it will gas you just by being in the room even without CPAP.

If you leave the drawer open enough for the hose to fit through the crack, the machine will have plenty of air coming in and it won't overheat as long as the hose feeds out of the drawer. The air blowing out of the drawer through the hose forces fresh, cool air to come into the drawer. Just don't let the machine run, unless the hose is coming out of the drawer. S9 machines have a cool down cycle that runs after you turn the machine off, so it might overheat if you put the mask and hose in the drawer after using it.

You might also look into making some sort of open topped box that you attach to the top of the table. i.e. sort of like taking the drawer out, attaching it to the top of the table, and setting the CPAP in that.

Perhaps something like a decorative serving tray.

[Image: 81Zyy5-dzgL._SL1500_.jpg]

Other than that, you may just have to stand up to the wife for your health's sake. (or your wallet's sake.)
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 08:45 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Hey Peter,

Here is an idea that Paula mentioned back a wile ago. Find a piece of furniture that has a drawer and that you can fit next to your bed. Leave the drawer open at night and keep the CPAP in the drawer. I have a small bureau next to my bed near the head that I could use. That should make it so that you can not knock it off easily. Have you thought that maybe it was one of your dogs that knocked it off while you were asleep?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Exactly what I do, I was going to make the same suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first try is the velcro route, and we'll see how that works. My night stand doesn't have a drawer, and would prefer not to have to buy one if it can be avoided.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that works for some of my patients is to put their PAP in the drawer of the nightstand. Then, during the day, close the drawer and everything is hidden away.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you don't want to stick Velcro to the furniture you could get a bungee cord that you use at night and remove during the day for the wife's aesthetics.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,288 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 551 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 843 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 885 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 441 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,778 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,300 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.